Bashar Alsaeed
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:05 am

Can I run windows XP in raspberry pi2

Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:20 am

Hi;
I have raspberry pi2 I was wondering if it's possible to run windows xp on it?thanks

klricks
Posts: 7292
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:01 am
Location: Grants Pass, OR, USA
Contact: Website

Re: Can I run windows XP in raspberry pi2

Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:27 am

No
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated RPiOS Buster w/ Desktop OS.

User avatar
HawaiianPi
Posts: 5998
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:53 am
Location: Aloha, Oregon USA

Re: Can I run windows XP in raspberry pi2

Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:08 am

No, and why would you even want to? XP was a horrible OS!

There are different computer architectures based on CPU type, and generally software written for one type is not compatible with another. Think of it as different architectures speaking different languages. The ARM architecture processor in the Pi will not understand Windows XP, because it was written to run on Intel x86 architecture.

While it is sometimes possible to translate the commands of one processor to run on another, there is a tremendous amount of overhead involved, so you need lots of processing power to do it successfully. The processor in the Pi is not very powerful, so I doubt it could emulate a Windows XP computer with enough performance to be useful.

You can emulate some older game systems, and even older DOS computers on the Pi.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

Bashar Alsaeed
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:05 am

Re: Can I run windows XP in raspberry pi2

Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:19 am

HawaiianPi wrote:No, and why would you even want to? XP was a horrible OS!

There are different computer architectures based on CPU type, and generally software written for one type is not compatible with another. Think of it as different architectures speaking different languages. The ARM architecture processor in the Pi will not understand Windows XP, because it was written to run on Intel x86 architecture.

While it is sometimes possible to translate the commands of one processor to run on another, there is a tremendous amount of overhead involved, so you need lots of processing power to do it successfully. The processor in the Pi is not very powerful, so I doubt it could emulate a Windows XP computer with enough performance to be useful.

You can emulate some older game systems, and even older DOS computers on the Pi.


Well their is a program install and run on Windows and can't be run on Linux so is their a way that I can run Windows programs on raspberry pi 2 even if it's emulator

User avatar
brekee12
Posts: 335
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:36 pm
Location: HU

Re: Can I run windows XP in raspberry pi2

Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:37 am

Raspberry is based on ARM architecture. If windows compiled on ARM than XP will run on it. Why do not you ask for the source of the program you want to run and compile on Raspbian? That is the normal way of all valuable programs.
Brekee12
on a Raspberry B+ with whezzy, two Zero with Jessie Light

User avatar
MarkHaysHarris777
Posts: 1820
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:39 am
Location: Rochester, MN
Contact: Website

Re: Can I run windows XP in raspberry pi2

Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:03 am

Bashar Alsaeed wrote:Hi;
I have raspberry pi2 I was wondering if it's possible to run windows xp on it?thanks
hi, Windows XP will only run on x86 based systems (Intel PCs based on the 8086 family of processors). XP is also proprietary software (no source for the general public) so you won't be able to compile it for the Arm A53 64 bit SoC on the Raspberry PI, nor the PineA64--- just not going to happen.

The main question on must of our minds is, "why would you want to?"
marcus
:ugeek:

stderr
Posts: 2178
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:29 pm

Re: Can I run windows XP in raspberry pi2

Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:40 am

MarkHaysHarris777 wrote:The main question on must of our minds is, "why would you want to?"
The major reason someone might want to run Windows is because there is some application they want to run that they have only available for Windows.

User avatar
MarkHaysHarris777
Posts: 1820
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:39 am
Location: Rochester, MN
Contact: Website

Re: Can I run windows XP in raspberry pi2

Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:21 am

stderr wrote:
MarkHaysHarris777 wrote:The main question on must of our minds is, "why would you want to?"
The major reason someone might want to run Windows is because there is some application they want to run that they have only available for Windows.
Yeah, I get that...

... I was trying to get @Bashar to tell me what the app is (?) we might be able to get it to run on wine, or in a DOS emulator; can't help with that if I don't know what he's thinking about.
marcus
:ugeek:

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 24522
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: Can I run windows XP in raspberry pi2

Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:48 am

Bashar Alsaeed wrote:Hi;
I have raspberry pi2 I was wondering if it's possible to run windows xp on it?thanks
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=151859#p996032


https://eltechs.com/product/exagear-desktop


https://www.youtube.com/user/sahajsarup/videos

.
Thinking outside the box is better than burying your head in the sand...

User avatar
HawaiianPi
Posts: 5998
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:53 am
Location: Aloha, Oregon USA

Re: Can I run windows XP in raspberry pi2

Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:29 am

stderr wrote:The major reason someone might want to run Windows is because there is some application they want to run that they have only available for Windows.
Then they should run it on a Windows computer.

Another option would be to find an equivalent Linux program. Something that does the same thing that will run on the Pi.

I wonder why it is that people who ask these questions never actually specify what it is they are trying to do, or what software they want to run? And XP, seriously? That product was end of life years ago. If you want to run XP, then hit up thrift stores or troll craigslist. I'll bet you could find an old netbook or laptop for about the price of a Pi. Heck, ask your family, friends, neighbors and co-workers, and someone will probably give you one.

But then again, there are "those people" who think that Windows is the only computer operating system. If it's a "computer" it must be able to run Windows. Or, if it can't run Windows, then it's not a "real" computer. :roll:
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

User avatar
Burngate
Posts: 6372
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:34 pm
Location: Berkshire UK Tralfamadore
Contact: Website

Re: Can I run windows XP in raspberry pi2

Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:15 am

HawaiianPi wrote:
stderr wrote:But then again, there are "those people" who think that Windows is the only computer operating system. If it's a "computer" it must be able to run Windows. Or, if it can't run Windows, then it's not a "real" computer. :roll:
Well, according to "Independence Day" the computers those aliens were using were susceptible to ordinary viruses, so they must use Windows ...

User avatar
Jednorozec
Posts: 809
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:17 pm
Location: Deposit, NY

Re: Can I run windows XP in raspberry pi2

Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:26 am

Burngate wrote:Well, according to "Independence Day" the computers those aliens were using were susceptible to ordinary viruses, so they must use Windows ...
Not necessarily - they might have been running DR-DOS.
The most important leg of a three legged stool is the one that's missing.
It's called thinking. Why don't you try it sometime?

User avatar
HawaiianPi
Posts: 5998
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:53 am
Location: Aloha, Oregon USA

Re: Can I run windows XP in raspberry pi2

Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:51 pm

Burngate wrote:Well, according to "Independence Day" the computers those aliens were using were susceptible to ordinary viruses, so they must use Windows ...
Yes, and look how well that ended for them. Just be thankful they wren't running Linux.
:D
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

W. H. Heydt
Posts: 13616
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:36 pm
Location: Vallejo, CA (US)

Re: Can I run windows XP in raspberry pi2

Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:38 pm

IIRC, someone actually got Win95 to boot on an early model Pi. So far as I recall, it took some *hours* to boot. XP would be slower. So, if you enjoy watching paint dry, and you have a couple of days to spare, you might be able to see XP boot on a Pi.

User avatar
HawaiianPi
Posts: 5998
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:53 am
Location: Aloha, Oregon USA

Re: Can I run windows XP in raspberry pi2

Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:57 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:IIRC, someone actually got Win95 to boot on an early model Pi. So far as I recall, it took some *hours* to boot. XP would be slower. So, if you enjoy watching paint dry, and you have a couple of days to spare, you might be able to see XP boot on a Pi.
Emulating a different architecture typically requires a CPU at least 10 times more powerful than the one it's emulating. So if you are talking about the DOS era, sure. Probably even Windows 95/98 could be done well.

Once you get to Windows XP it gets very doubtful. Not only has the processor gap narrowed, but XP was kind of a memory pig. A Pi3 only has 1GB of RAM, and it would have to run Linux and the emulation software in addition to Windows XP in the emulator (and any software you were trying to run in XP). Even if you managed to do it, it would run very poorly.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

User avatar
HawaiianPi
Posts: 5998
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:53 am
Location: Aloha, Oregon USA

Re: Can I run windows XP in raspberry pi2

Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:20 pm

Bashar Alsaeed wrote:...Well their is a program install and run on Windows and can't be run on Linux so is their a way that I can run Windows programs on raspberry pi 2 even if it's emulator
If it's a Windows XP program I doubt you could get it working well enough to be useful. It's not just a matter of emulation, you also need enough memory to run the emulation, the OS running under emulation, and the software running on the OS running under emulation.

When you consider that Windows XP was kind of a memory pig, and the Pi2 has only 1GB of RAM, it just seems very unlikely.

What program do you need to run? Perhaps there is a Linux equivalent, something that does the same thing that will run on the Pi2. If we knew exactly what it is you are trying to accomplish, then maybe we could direct you to the appropriate software.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

Slackware
Posts: 131
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:45 pm

Re: Can I run windows XP in raspberry pi2

Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:00 pm

Bashar Alsaeed wrote:Hi;
I have raspberry pi2 I was wondering if it's possible to run windows xp on it?thanks
Just recompile the source code for XP for ARM cpu. and boot.

mikerr
Posts: 2826
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:46 pm
Location: UK
Contact: Website

Re: Can I run windows XP in raspberry pi2

Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:49 pm

If you really have a need to run a particular x86 / windows app - there is wine / qemu

and exadesktop for pi:

https://eltechs.com/product/exagear-desktop/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZuV8oTZiQE

much faster than qemu, but not free...
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

W. H. Heydt
Posts: 13616
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:36 pm
Location: Vallejo, CA (US)

Re: Can I run windows XP in raspberry pi2

Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:44 am

HawaiianPi wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote:IIRC, someone actually got Win95 to boot on an early model Pi. So far as I recall, it took some *hours* to boot. XP would be slower. So, if you enjoy watching paint dry, and you have a couple of days to spare, you might be able to see XP boot on a Pi.
Emulating a different architecture typically requires a CPU at least 10 times more powerful than the one it's emulating. So if you are talking about the DOS era, sure. Probably even Windows 95/98 could be done well.

Once you get to Windows XP it gets very doubtful. Not only has the processor gap narrowed, but XP was kind of a memory pig. A Pi3 only has 1GB of RAM, and it would have to run Linux and the emulation software in addition to Windows XP in the emulator (and any software you were trying to run in XP). Even if you managed to do it, it would run very poorly.
There is a difference between "running" and "running fast enough to be practical". You don't need a faster system--let alone 10 times faster--to make such things happen. Unless the simulating system is fast enough to run the simulation in "real time", it won't be particularly useful or practical.

I have a prefectly functional WinXP system that has 512MB or RAM, so the 1GB on a Pi is quite sufficient for that aspect of the project.

There was an old programming joke about the astronomer that developed a very good, very accurate simulator program for stellar evolution. The problem was that it ran in real time....

hello world :-)
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:12 am
Location: England, in an insecure cloud, ie. The Interwebs
Contact: Website Yahoo Messenger AOL

Re: Can I run windows XP in raspberry pi2

Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:23 am

Slackware wrote:
Bashar Alsaeed wrote:Hi;
I have raspberry pi2 I was wondering if it's possible to run windows xp on it?thanks
Just recompile the source code for XP for ARM cpu. and boot.
I know you're almost definitely trolling, but I just wanted to tell the OP, that like others have said above, it is not possible to compile the source code because XP is closed-source proprietary (bleugh) software.

And no-one tell me "you fell for it" or "don't feed the trolls, it makes them stronger", I just wanted to point out to the OP that this isn't possible, in case it sent them off on a wild goose chase.
I do moral support. Here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/search.php?search_id=egosearch
I know I use too many parentheses. Problem?
Topics I have posted in: http://bit.ly/1NbDdr5
My topics: http://bit.ly/1ObnKqQ
All my posts: http://bit.ly/1OHzje7

W. H. Heydt
Posts: 13616
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:36 pm
Location: Vallejo, CA (US)

Re: Can I run windows XP in raspberry pi2

Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:42 am

hello world :-) wrote:
Slackware wrote:
Bashar Alsaeed wrote:Hi;
I have raspberry pi2 I was wondering if it's possible to run windows xp on it?thanks
Just recompile the source code for XP for ARM cpu. and boot.
I know you're almost definitely trolling, but I just wanted to tell the OP, that like others have said above, it is not possible to compile the source code because XP is closed-source proprietary (bleugh) software.

And no-one tell me "you fell for it" or "don't feed the trolls, it makes them stronger", I just wanted to point out to the OP that this isn't possible, in case it sent them off on a wild goose chase.
I veleieve the intent of the "just recompile" was referring to applications programs, not to XP itself. Granted, the same basic problem is there as well, as application code may be written in a language (e.g. x86 assembler) that simply can't be compiled under Linux on ARM, or will be using Windows-specific calls that would have to be reworked at the source level to be compiled for the Pi. Then there is the fundamental problem that you simply can't your hands on the source code for most Windows-based application programs.

hello world :-)
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:12 am
Location: England, in an insecure cloud, ie. The Interwebs
Contact: Website Yahoo Messenger AOL

Re: Can I run windows XP in raspberry pi2

Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:00 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
hello world :-) wrote: I know you're almost definitely trolling, but I just wanted to tell the OP, that like others have said above, it is not possible to compile the source code because XP is closed-source proprietary (bleugh) software.

And no-one tell me "you fell for it" or "don't feed the trolls, it makes them stronger", I just wanted to point out to the OP that this isn't possible, in case it sent them off on a wild goose chase.
I veleieve the intent of the "just recompile" was referring to applications programs, not to XP itself. Granted, the same basic problem is there as well, as application code may be written in a language (e.g. x86 assembler) that simply can't be compiled under Linux on ARM, or will be using Windows-specific calls that would have to be reworked at the source level to be compiled for the Pi. Then there is the fundamental problem that you simply can't your hands on the source code for most Windows-based application programs.
OK, sorry to Slackware if that is indeed the case :oops:
Then there is the fundamental problem that you simply can't your hands on the source code for most Windows-based application programs.
Very true, and very frustrating. (F)OSS FTW!
I do moral support. Here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/search.php?search_id=egosearch
I know I use too many parentheses. Problem?
Topics I have posted in: http://bit.ly/1NbDdr5
My topics: http://bit.ly/1ObnKqQ
All my posts: http://bit.ly/1OHzje7

Return to “General discussion”