Appletini
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:45 am

Any normal Priced Pi's in the US

Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:58 am

I have made a few attempts at buying the Raspberry Pi, each time i have waited months for the purchase to go through and then when it does the 35$ computer turns into $60 ot $70 is this just the power of the weak $ in the US or am i ordering from the wrong places? The last place i tried was allied electronics and before that farnell exports. I want me some pi.

User avatar
Dweeber
Posts: 606
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:35 am
Location: Mesa, AZ
Contact: Website

Re: Any normal Priced Pi's in the US

Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:09 am

Never used this company before, but noticed they said the had them in stock.

https://www.mcmelectronics.com/
Dweeber A.K.A. Kevin...
My RPI Info Pages including Current Setup - http://rpi.tnet.com

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 28362
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: Any normal Priced Pi's in the US

Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:19 am

Appletini wrote:I have made a few attempts at buying the Raspberry Pi, each time i have waited months for the purchase to go through and then when it does the 35$ computer turns into $60 ot $70 is this just the power of the weak $ in the US or am i ordering from the wrong places? The last place i tried was allied electronics and before that farnell exports. I want me some pi.
Remember you need to add sales tax and postage/packing to that $35 price.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

skdrowe
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:29 am

Re: Any normal Priced Pi's in the US

Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:39 am

Used Newark/ Element 14. Ordered 8/3/2012, Shipped 8/10/2012 Arrived today Calif /USA. (8/20/2012).
Merchandise Total : $35.00
Handling Fee : $0.00
Tax : $3.06
Shipping : $7.65
Total : $45.71

User avatar
Lob0426
Posts: 2198
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:30 pm
Location: Susanville CA.
Contact: Website

Re: Any normal Priced Pi's in the US

Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:39 am

Do not order from the export or it will cost you a lot. I paid just under $43. $35 RasPi. $5 UPS and $2.54 sales tax.
http://www.newark.com/jsp/home/homepage.jsp
http://www.newark.com/raspberry-pi/rasp ... irect=true
Newark/Element14
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

Appletini
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:45 am

Re: Any normal Priced Pi's in the US

Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:29 pm

Lob0426 wrote:Do not order from the export or it will cost you a lot. I paid just under $43. $35 RasPi. $5 UPS and $2.54 sales tax.
http://www.newark.com/jsp/home/homepage.jsp
http://www.newark.com/raspberry-pi/rasp ... irect=true
Newark/Element14
Yea i will try newark again. I dont mind paying shipping and tax and some hush money but when i ordered from alliedelec.com the order came back after a month still listed as 35$ on the invoice but i got charged $70.00 for 1.

/sigh my excitement i had trying to buy this the first night has died off over ht months its taking just to try and get a solid order going in the US. It seems like most of the manufacturers are all in Europe and they don't even know of this "US EAY" place

User avatar
woopderson
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:06 pm
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Any normal Priced Pi's in the US

Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:51 pm

Dweeber wrote:Never used this company before, but noticed they said the had them in stock.

https://www.mcmelectronics.com/

Just placed an order (8/21/2012). It is listed as in stock, will let you know how it goes!

W. H. Heydt
Posts: 14566
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:36 pm
Location: Vallejo, CA (US)

Re: Any normal Priced Pi's in the US

Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:51 pm

Appletini wrote:
Lob0426 wrote:Do not order from the export or it will cost you a lot. I paid just under $43. $35 RasPi. $5 UPS and $2.54 sales tax.
http://www.newark.com/jsp/home/homepage.jsp
http://www.newark.com/raspberry-pi/rasp ... irect=true
Newark/Element14
Yea i will try newark again. I dont mind paying shipping and tax and some hush money but when i ordered from alliedelec.com the order came back after a month still listed as 35$ on the invoice but i got charged $70.00 for 1.

/sigh my excitement i had trying to buy this the first night has died off over ht months its taking just to try and get a solid order going in the US. It seems like most of the manufacturers are all in Europe and they don't even know of this "US EAY" place
Actually... The *manufacturer(s)* are in China. The parent companies of both distributors (RS Components and Premier Farnell) are in the UK and they both have US subsidiaries (Allied Electronics and Newark/Element14, respectively).

There are advantages and disadvantages to ordering through either the US or UK distribution channels.

skandl
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:33 pm

Re: Any normal Priced Pi's in the US

Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:49 pm

I ordered one last week on 8/17 from Newark. At the time it said it was in stock, but now checking the order status I see it's backordered. Is anyone else having luck finding one?

sdjf
Posts: 1395
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:20 am
Location: California
Contact: Website

Re: Any normal Priced Pi's in the US

Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:42 pm

Newark is your best bet for a unit soon in the USA at a reasonable price. You can always call them in Newark and ask why your order changed from Available Now to BackOrdered. They can probably tell you when the next shipment is due in.

If you search this subforum, you can find vendors offering Pi's immediately at higher prices - it is your decision whether to wait a little for a unit at a reasonable price, or to pay a high premium for a unit pronto. And Newark could surprise you with a shipment going out to you within a few days.
FORUM TIP: To view someone's posting history, sign in, click on their user name, then on "Search User's Posts." || Running ArchLinuxArm on Model 2B and 512MB Model B

koldlaser
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:12 pm

Re: Any normal Priced Pi's in the US

Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:38 pm

skandl wrote:I ordered one last week on 8/17 from Newark. At the time it said it was in stock, but now checking the order status I see it's backordered. Is anyone else having luck finding one?
I ordered mine on 8/09 seeing it as available during checkout. The next day it was backordered. It stayed at that status for a week and during that same week the Newark site says they have pi available. Thru CS I find they're out of stock til mid Sept and their website finally shows unavailable. I cancelled immediately and order at https://www.mcmelectronics.com/ on 8/19. Got ups tracking # next day should arrive this Friday. Anybody looking to order rpi and lives in USA should order at mcm. No tax in most states.

User avatar
woopderson
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:06 pm
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Any normal Priced Pi's in the US

Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:12 pm

woopderson wrote:
Dweeber wrote:Never used this company before, but noticed they said the had them in stock.

https://www.mcmelectronics.com/

Just placed an order (8/21/2012). It is listed as in stock, will let you know how it goes!
Item was listed as shipped today at 1:00pm, on its way to Toronto, Canada. Should have it in a week or so!

User avatar
woopderson
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:06 pm
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Any normal Priced Pi's in the US

Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:45 am

woopderson wrote:
woopderson wrote:
Dweeber wrote:Never used this company before, but noticed they said the had them in stock.

https://www.mcmelectronics.com/

Just placed an order (8/21/2012). It is listed as in stock, will let you know how it goes!
Item was listed as shipped today at 1:00pm, on its way to Toronto, Canada. Should have it in a week or so!
Package arrived on 31st of Aug in tact!

KPR
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:30 pm

Re: Any normal Priced Pi's in the US

Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:58 pm

Woopderson.. what was the total cost Canadian for a shipped unit??

KPR

User avatar
woopderson
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:06 pm
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Any normal Priced Pi's in the US

Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:01 pm

KPR wrote:Woopderson.. what was the total cost Canadian for a shipped unit??

KPR
35 for pi + 15 flat rate shipping + taxes

KPR
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:30 pm

Re: Any normal Priced Pi's in the US

Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:09 pm

Sweet.. That's very great to hear, us Canadian's usually get screwed.. I guess I'll take the plunge and grab one now if they are in stock instead of waiting another month or so for the rev 2 boards..

KPR

User avatar
woopderson
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:06 pm
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Any normal Priced Pi's in the US

Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:16 pm

Yeah RS was going to delay my order that I had placed in early august to be delayed all the way into December =/

MCM is excellent. As a note, they did not update the shipping cost on the website, but did respond promptly to my message to them in the forums here. They have excellent customer service and fast delivery times. Their dist center is in Ohio, customs is your longest waiting point. I will most likely get the Rev A board once it is available from them!

KPR
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:30 pm

Re: Any normal Priced Pi's in the US

Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:26 pm

woopderson wrote:Yeah RS was going to delay my order that I had placed in early august to be delayed all the way into December =/

MCM is excellent. As a note, they did not update the shipping cost on the website, but did respond promptly to my message to them in the forums here. They have excellent customer service and fast delivery times. Their dist center is in Ohio, customs is your longest waiting point. I will most likely get the Rev A board once it is available from them!
I called and spoke with a customer service rep named Patty, and she said to basically choose international shipping and make a not to use USPS instead of a Courier company..

All is good, and I am now part of the club.. Just waiting for the delivery..

:D :D :D

llamabox
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:36 pm

Re: Any normal Priced Pi's in the US

Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:15 pm

Appletini, are you in the US?

If so order from MCM: $35 + $10.49 shipping
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/83-14277

Their shipping is a bit of a ripoff especially if shipping USPS priority mail or if ordering more than 1 rpi - it's flat rate shipping charge per item regardless of FedEx, UPS, or USPS... lame

I sure as hell know that you can fit 2 RPis in a small flat rate box for $5... but whatever.

BUT if you want a Pi now...

mwrich4
Posts: 128
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:24 pm
Location: Stuart, Florida

Re: Any normal Priced Pi's in the US

Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:45 pm

I ordered 2 Pis last week on Tue, they arrived Fri.
From Element14/Newark

KPR
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:30 pm

Re: Any normal Priced Pi's in the US

Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:52 pm

Yeah.. Apparently my unit is being packaged for shipping as I write this.. Just waiting for the tracking confirmation!!

:D :D :D

W. H. Heydt
Posts: 14566
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:36 pm
Location: Vallejo, CA (US)

Re: Any normal Priced Pi's in the US

Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:38 pm

mwrich4 wrote:I ordered 2 Pis last week on Tue, they arrived Fri.
From Element14/Newark
What board type? Rev. 1 ECN 0003 or Rev. 2?

KPR
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:30 pm

Re: Any normal Priced Pi's in the US

Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:43 pm

I am assuming its a rev 1 board.. but I will update if different once I get it..

Return to “General discussion”