tumblebomb

Re: RaspPi heat output?

Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:14 pm

Hi, I\'m wondering how much wattage the Pi is going to be putting out?

In a similar fashion to how some people encase usb flash sticks. I fancied coating a Pi in a clear epoxy instead of using a case but wouldn\'t like to make it overheat.
Of course making sure that the epoxy is non conductive and pins/sockets are not obstructed.

Dapman02

Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:21 pm

[quote]Quote from tumblebomb on November 27, 2011, 18:14
Hi, I\'m wondering how much wattage the Pi is going to be putting out?

In a similar fashion to how some people encase usb flash sticks. I fancied coating a Pi in a clear epoxy instead of using a case but wouldn\'t like to make it overheat.
Of course making sure that the epoxy is non conductive and pins/sockets are not obstructed.[/quote]

there shouldn\'t be much of anything for a heat output
It uses an ARM processor that should be cool to the touch, even without a heatsink

kme

Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:51 pm

It has been discussed earlier and Liz went to ask some hardware guys. They didn\'t like the idea - partly because the thermal expansion will be different between the resin and the chips, which will make mechanical stress.

johnbeetem

Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:06 pm

[quote]Quote from Dapman02 on November 27, 2011, 18:21
there shouldn\'t be much of anything for a heat output
It uses an ARM processor that should be cool to the touch, even without a heatsink[/quote]
While the processor itself is low power, remember that the BCM2835 is a SoC so there\'s also the power consumed by the GPU when it\'s doing something compute-intensive and the SoC has to drive HDMI as well. Plus it\'s a PoP (Package on Package), so you have to add in DRAM power as well. I have a BeagleBoard B4 and its similar PoP SoC gets quite warm.

andrewhg

Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:16 pm

Instead of an epoxy try a quick silicone rubber like Skyplast
http://uk.farnell.com/raytech/sky-plast ... dp/1663046
At least it will peel off in an emergency and you could mould it into any external shape. Sets in 5mins and is brilliant stuff. It flexes so might fit the job.

edit: Ahh just realised you want something see through/clear.. might not be appropriate.

tumblebomb

Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:48 pm

Yeah I could just semi-embed it in a big glob of silicone moulding putty and jam it against my monitor like a chunk of demo charge.

Other wise I could always dab on a quick dry, clear, epoxy glue and just avoid the chips I hope. Thanks for the info everyone.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:11 pm

The alpha board SoC gets warm to the touch - not too hot to touch, I\'d guess at about 45-50C. If you are really hammering the GPU it might get a bit hotter.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

Ryanroll

Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:41 am

Well i guess it\'s gonna be pretty much like any smartphone : at idle it\'s cold but after 2 hours of intense gaming it\'s clearly hot but you can still hold it properly.

I think the greatest part of heat output is because of the gpu, so i guess it depends on how you\'re gonna use your pi.

Tide

Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:45 pm

For what it\'s worth: my slightly more powerful BeagleBoard xM usually runs @55-60°C. If I close my otherwise unvented and fanless case however heat quickly builds up and reaches 70-75°C. And that isn\'t even running the OMAP 3730 full throttle.

Return to “General discussion”