bugsy_malone 666

Getting the ACT light back working on a Rpi A?

Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:20 pm

So I built a media centre a while ago, which started by testing a 16gb mem card on a Pi B+, set it all up and got some basic stuff working including moving the ACT light to one of the GPIO pins as the media centre was going in a PC case and I was using the PC case LEDs. I bought a Pi2B and built a new SD card for it with the required image and made the same mods, my B+ has been used for something else and now I want to use my 'Test' OSMC SDcard in a spare Model A I have.

OSMC works fine on the Model A, its just basically for playing music from USB and having tested it tonight it works fine, for its application though its going to have nothing else plugged in other than a hub, with other people using it (eg doing shutdowns) so I thought I need to re-enable the ACT light to help tell if the thing is actually performing an action, but I dont know how you turn it back on?

originally I had it setup by adding this line to the boot txt: dtparam=act_led_gpio=xx
and had it set to like pin 16 or something back, but if I take the line out it doesnt make the ACT LED work.

Any clues as to what I have missed?

DougieLawson

Re: Getting the ACT light back working on a Rpi A?

Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:30 pm

There's some controls in /boot/config.txt

Code: Select all

dtparam=act_led_activelow=on
dtparam=act_led_trigger=...
dtparam=act_led_gpip=nnn
They're there in Raspbian 2016-05-27 (and NOOBS 1.9.2) you'll need to check with the OSMC developers whether their kernel supports device tree and that stuff.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

bugsy_malone 666

Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:30 am

See I cant remember of any of that was in the original config.txt, I looked yesterday and the only thing I could identify in the Config txt was the dtparam line that I took out, but it didnt make a difference.

Originally it was a case of 'add this line' to the config file, so I figured taking it out would work, clearly not.

What exactly do those controls do?

bensimmo

Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:02 pm

No idea but there is a readme file in there saying what most (all?) do.

DougieLawson

Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:16 pm

Bring yourself and your RPi to the Roebuck PH in Stockbridge Rd, Winchester, SO22 6RP at 20:00 on Wednesday this week and we can take a look at fixing it.

I'm planning to be there with a 3B and an A+.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Return to “General discussion”