DougieLawson

Re: Be careful with Pi Zero and CSI slot

Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:32 am

czar1na wrote:I just tried the CSI slot on another PI Zero, and it is MUCH tighter and easier to use than the one on my current main Zero. So I've realized the issue is that I opened and closed the CSI slot on my Zero so many times that it got very loose. Bit of advice for others that it shouldn't be as bad as I described as long as you keep the opening and closing to a minimum.
I found a small strip of Scotch tape on the back of the ribbon cable makes it just a little bit thicker and that tends to wedge in the slot better.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

gtoal

Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:48 am

I now have broken CSI clamps on 3 of 6 pi zeros. After the first one I was extra careful but it still happened. I consider it a design flaw.

I've used extremely sticky tape to hold one in place over the broken connector but the depth of insertion is so shallow that even a little amount of give to the stickiness lets the cable come out just far enough to break the connectivity.

I've been frustrated about the lack of manufacturing capacity in pi zeroes but until this is fixed it may be a blessing in disguise.

HermannSW

Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:35 am

Yes, the connectors are fragile, but I have disconnected/connected cameras very often, and even outdoor.with Pi Zero mounted on RC airplane. Sometimes the ribbon cable got disconnected even without opening the connector by too much g-force of crash landings. Just opening connector, inserting ribbon cable and closing was all that was needed, and recording videos on next flight was done without issues.

One of my many Pi's had a broken connector, and it was mounted firmly and I did not want to change it. I just took the black locker of another Pi's CSI connector and transplanted it to that Pi without issues.

Summary: fragile yes, but surprisingly rugged, handle with care, transplantation from one Pi to another possible.

Hermann.
⇨https://stamm-wilbrandt.de/en/Raspberry_camera.html

https://github.com/Hermann-SW/Raspberry_v1_camera_global_external_shutter
https://stamm-wilbrandt.de/github_repo_i420toh264
https://github.com/Hermann-SW/fork-raspiraw
https://twitter.com/HermannSW

spock

Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:05 am

this happened to me too. :( but luckily i still got it to work with some hot glue.

wh7qq

Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:15 am

Mine broke as well (the little barb on one side of the black part) but I found that by first inserting the cable until it bottoms out and then putting the broken part back as originally intended was fairly satisfactory. Not sure this would work well for applications with a lot of flexing or with children but for my stationary use, it seems fine.

viperz28

Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:04 pm

I have a handful of these now where the connector tab broke off, very frustrating. Anyone know where to buy the connectors? I will try replacing the tab and then glue it in.

Tommygunn1972

Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:35 am

Hi, the CSI slot has broken on my Pi Zero, both end pieces has broken off and left the middle piece wedged in with the camera ribbon. This has made it near on impossible to remove the camera ribbon, does anyone have any ideas as to what i can do. I can see a sliver of the CSI locking piece but not really enough to get to.

Thanks !

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:06 pm

Tommygunn1972 wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:35 am
Hi, the CSI slot has broken on my Pi Zero, both end pieces has broken off and left the middle piece wedged in with the camera ribbon. This has made it near on impossible to remove the camera ribbon, does anyone have any ideas as to what i can do. I can see a sliver of the CSI locking piece but not really enough to get to.

Thanks !
Magnifying glass and thin blade craft knife to try and lever it out?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

bensimmo

Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:08 pm

just give it a tug and it should come out,it is only a friction fit.

I know mine twist and/or can drop out if there is a bit of weight on the pi or camera end.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:49 pm

viperz28 wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:04 pm
I have a handful of these now where the connector tab broke off, very frustrating. Anyone know where to buy the connectors? I will try replacing the tab and then glue it in.
According to the Raspberry PI Zero's partial schematic it this Molex connector (54548-2271) https://www.molex.com/molex/products/da ... Lang=en-US

Mouser sells them for € 2,06, https://nl.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Mol ... gJhDvD_BwE

epretorious

Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:13 am

Has anyone found a fix for this? (The retainer on 2 of my 3 Raspberry Pi Zero's have broken!) :o

Eric P.
Portland, Oregon

Imperf3kt

Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:59 am

A piece of cardboard usually does the trick for these sort of connectors.
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

PhatFil

Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:59 am

bensimmo wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:24 pm
czar1na wrote:I just tried the CSI slot on another PI Zero, and it is MUCH tighter and easier to use than the one on my current main Zero. So I've realized the issue is that I opened and closed the CSI slot on my Zero so many times that it got very loose. Bit of advice for others that it shouldn't be as bad as I described as long as you keep the opening and closing to a minimum.
I would say detach it at the other end on the camera... but it's a lot cheaper to replace the Zero than the camera. :)
Trust me the camera end is just as fragile, my camera module stands testament to that ;)

Milliways

Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:59 am

This is an example of poor design. The connector should NEVER have overhung the edge of the board!

I purchased a Pi Zero W and noticed one side of the camera connector seemed to be floating. I should have returned it, but as I was not planning to use it didn't worry. BUT this was a mistake. It is almost impossible to put the Pi Zero W in or out of a case without putting some pressure on the connector.

Mine failed and I discovered the whole connector had detached, along with a couple of traces, rendering the device inoperable.

This is the first device I have used in over 50 years which failed in this manner (previously I had to plug chips in backwards or apply excessive voltages to actually break anything).

PS The official case is also a lousy design. If you install a header (and why buy a Pi if you weren't planning to interface it) the plain cover and camera cover won't fit.

PPS I have a spare CSI connector (with a couple of traces attached) if anyone wants it.

bensimmo

Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:42 am

Milliways wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:59 am
This is an example of poor design. The connector should NEVER have overhung the edge of the board!

I purchased a Pi Zero W and noticed one side of the camera connector seemed to be floating. I should have returned it, but as I was not planning to use it didn't worry. BUT this was a mistake. It is almost impossible to put the Pi Zero W in or out of a case without putting some pressure on the connector.

Mine failed and I discovered the whole connector had detached, along with a couple of traces, rendering the device inoperable.

This is the first device I have used in over 50 years which failed in this manner (previously I had to plug chips in backwards or apply excessive voltages to actually break anything).

PS The official case is also a lousy design. If you install a header (and why buy a Pi if you weren't planning to interface it) the plain cover and camera cover won't fit.

PPS I have a spare CSI connector (with a couple of traces attached) if anyone wants it.
You put the header or wire in from
the back if using the camera.

ab1jx

Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:37 am

If you look at the Molex PDF you can see the problem:

Code: Select all

Durability (mating cycles max) 20
That's from http://www.molex.com/webdocs/datasheets ... ECTORS.pdf

A DIP or a DB25 would be more sturdy. That flexboard cable can't be flexed many times before the foil breaks either.

Return to “General discussion”