martinhj

apt-get update fails after upgrade

Wed May 25, 2016 8:31 am

OK soI get a brand new Rpi 3 put in a brand new SD card, download latest jessie and put it on the card. ssh into the new pi no problem and run

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

as I always do. Everything updates then I rebooted the pi and ssh back into it

Now sudo apt-get update just does absolutely nothing. Running without sudo I get a Segmentation Fault. Everything else seems fine.

I have tried this several times with the same result....anyone got any suggestions?

Martin

on4bgc

Re: apt-get update fails after upgrade

Wed May 25, 2016 8:43 am

Try An other card , maybe a defect card.

Graymalk

Wed May 25, 2016 9:53 pm

Did you try apt-get clean?

There is at least one other trick but I forget how it works. I had to use it once on a PC running Ubuntu after an oopsie power loss while it was updating. I'm sure it will come up via google or something. IIRC it's a three fingered salute approach that deletes the whole apt-get cache (tree?) or something.

martinhj

Thu May 26, 2016 6:56 am

Actually nothing with apt-get will work. apt-get is throwing a segmentation fault so apt-get clean wont work either..

Finally think I have got to the bottom of it !!

Pulled another raspi B3 off duty to compare with as I was starting to think it was the Rpi but I think its the SD card. Was using two new cards. have tended to use Kingston 16G cards and the penny started to drop when I looked at the running B3 which uses a Kingston class 4 and the two new ones I had pulled from the drawer were Class 10s.

The cards in question (brand new) are Kingston SD10G216GB which are on the list as OK here:

http://www.raspberry-pi.co.uk/2012/06/0 ... -sd-cards/

But not here:

http://elinux.org/RPi_SD_cards

The latter link is what I am getting....weird random issues with Jessie when writing to filesystem.

It is pseudo random in that on my new B3 every time I was getting failures with apt-get whereas when I tried the same card in my other B3 it would crash on a reboot (again, exactly the same mode of failure every time I tried it)

new (different) SD card on order which should prove it conclusively

Martin

BerryPicker

Thu May 26, 2016 6:58 pm

martinhj wrote: The cards in question (brand new) are Kingston SD10G216GB
There's a story about this card
viewtopic.php?p=974386#p974386
Mine's gone back to the supplier.

martinhj

Fri May 27, 2016 6:47 am

Interesting, yes it is definitely the Kingston class 10's I have are the issue. The class 4's including a new one work just fine!

LeeM

Tue May 30, 2017 3:06 am

One of my rules is "The worse and more scary the error message, the more trivial the problem."

I am operating on the hunch that the upgrade script program is making a change to the library search path. Every time the user starts a program, the program in turn goes to a library search path. If something has been done to break the search path such as appending a bad character, then the search path software reports "segmentation fault" . The good news is Linux can skip the bad destination. But Linux isn't able to fix the search path by itself.

First of all, there are no segmentation fault messages in the dmesg boot up file:

Code: Select all

dmesg | grep fault
You can set raspi-config to boot into a text console or terminal. For me the boot messages show segmentation fault over and over.
Manually trying to start networking gives a segmentation fault

sudo /etc/rc6.d/K07networking start
Segmentation fault
Configuring network interfaces... Segmentation fault
Segmentation fault
Done

I can find the conventional program path like this:
[/code]

set | grep PATH  # the set command dumps the lengthy user variables associated with the Bash shell.
So here are some questions.
Where is the Library Search Path?
How can one find out what step in the program loading process is actually making the Segmentation fault error
What is in the upgrade or update script file that might be affecting the Library search path?
Is there something simple like a library file in the update that is accidentally empty.?

My situation is like the OP. I did update , then upgrade. Now, every time the system reboots, all kinds of boot up script commands come back with segmentation fault.

Return to “General discussion”