darkbibble

experimantal GL driver question

Fri May 20, 2016 7:15 pm

how stable is the experimental GL driver at the moment??, as I'm will need to run gl code on my pi soon for my programming course book.
Q; How many Windows users does it take to fix a Linux problem??
A; Whats a Linux problem

Kratos

Re: experimantal GL driver question

Fri May 20, 2016 7:30 pm

About as stable as your first ride on a bike. It is experimental. It works quite well in some situations (like with chromium), but in other (like with Kodi), it does not work. My two cents. ;)

Kratos
I have posted mostly with a Pi 2 running either Ubuntu MATE, or Raspbian.

Pithagoros

Fri May 20, 2016 7:31 pm

darkbibble wrote:how stable is the experimental GL driver at the moment??, as I'm will need to run gl code on my pi soon for my programming course book.
Eric hasn't made a personal blog entry since 3rd March, but his GitHub is busy.

rpiMike

Fri May 20, 2016 7:42 pm

The GL driver copes with the full version of Minecraft :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXFMo8psp-U

Just make sure the driver will work with your Pi setup. Most likely to work with a 1080p screen and the recommended power supply for you Pi.

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sat May 21, 2016 10:35 am

Kratos wrote:About as stable as your first ride on a bike. It is experimental. It works quite well in some situations (like with chromium), but in other (like with Kodi), it does not work. My two cents. ;)
It can run Kodi, but needs a generic build, rather than a Pi (using GPU 3D) build.

No hardware acceleration for video decode, so it's more of a curiosity than something you would choose to run, but it shows the experimental driver is functional enough for the Kodi GUI.
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?pid=2332467

leiptrstormr

Sat May 21, 2016 5:16 pm

It works much better than it did six months ago. There are still some glitches with things not being displayed properly and my mouse cursor suddenly stops every now an then for a breif second. I'm using whatever verson is included with Raspbian though. I'm not sure how up to date that is.

Return to “General discussion”