pc77

The most expensive R-Pi of the world!

Tue May 22, 2012 6:50 pm

I've just received a call from DHL telling about R$ 126,00 :evil: (about US$ 62,07) fee and taxes to deliver my R-Pi.
That turned my R-Pi 35 dollar computer into a 95,03 dollar computer. :cry:

dukla2000

Re: The most expensive R-Pi of the world!

Tue May 22, 2012 10:43 pm

Well to be fair somebody in your country voted for the government that implemented those taxes. And I doubt it was the Raspberry Pi Foundation.

As for the most expensive Pi in the world - you are nowhere close! Try Serial #1 for GBP3500.
Daily driver: Pi3B, 64GB Samsung Evo+ @100MHz, DVB-T, onboard WiFi for internet, BT/USB dongle for KB/mouse, 250GB HDD via USB for media, Raspbian Jessie Lite with Openbox desktop.
Museum: Pi B

pc77

Wed May 23, 2012 12:52 am

:lol: I love sarcastic answers.

I expected the US$8.02 to be a RS worldwide shipping rate and for my surprise, DHL Brazil charged me with R$ 45.00 (about US$23) for shipping rate.

bicarbonato

Wed May 23, 2012 2:34 am

Hi pc77,

I'm from Brazil too, and I ordered mine today.

The RS site says the delivery taxes would be US$8,02, but I believe that I'll receive the same call from DHL Brazil with a new (expensive) tax.

Did you buy it with credit card or Paypal? How did you pay DHL Brazil?

pc77

Wed May 23, 2012 3:28 am

I payed with credit card. You can pay DHL with cash for the delivery guy or with credit card by phone before the delivery.

bicarbonato

Wed May 23, 2012 5:10 am

pc77,

Could you explain in details all taxes that you paid?

US$35,00 for the RPi.
US$45,00 for the delivery??

any other taxes?
I'm afraid about the taxes of Receita Federal (people say they could tax 60% of the price when you import products...).

Thank you!

tufty

Wed May 23, 2012 6:07 am

That sucks (no, really, it does), but here isn't the place to complain. You need to get onto RS directly. Sorry.

I would suggest mentioning that their website says
Q - What price are we selling the Raspberry Pi at?
A - We will be selling the Raspberry Pi for £21.60 + shipping charge @ £4.95 to any destination worldwide + VAT as applicable.
...and that a $23 DHL delivery charge is not mentioned anywhere. The $8,02 should be for delivery and tax.
Unfortunately, the other 30-odd bucks of taxes are down to your government, assuming DHL haven't just paid some sort of flat rate.

RS will probably tell you to go to DHL, who will, in turn, probably tell you the charges are for customs handling and import duties. You'd have been significantly better off having it sent by airmail. DHL suck. Can you tell I've been through this before?

Simon

slurp

Wed May 23, 2012 11:45 am

I've had problems with FedEx in the past where they'd incorrectly calculated and billed me for Import Duty.

The size of my order should have been duty exempt but they decided that I need to pay about £32, when I queried they said there was a £50 charge to examine their calculation.

Fortunately our Revenue and Customs guys are helpful, they sent me a form and supplying the receipts they refunded the duty all I lost was the uneccessary handling charge paid to FedEx - about £10. If I can influence how things are shipped to me I will. Not all carriers charges are equal and some are more helpful than others when they make a mistake. The fees chaged to us for the collection of local taxes varies too.

Local taxes would be outside the control of RS or Rpi and would never be part of the price offered to you. If it's more than you'd expect I suspect DHL have made some mistake with your duty payable, it might be work talking to them to understand the break down on tax and their fees.

Best regards,
Colin

pc77

Wed May 23, 2012 4:48 pm

That is what i've payed:

For RS:
R-Pi US$ 35,
Shipping Rate US$ 8,02

For DHL Brazil:
Shipping rate U$ 22.18
Taxes over U$ 43.02 U$40.15 (RS should do a favor to do not declare shipping rate in the order :( )

benzeman

Thu May 24, 2012 5:33 am

pc77 wrote:RS should do a favor to do not declare shipping rate in the order :(
That's almost certainly unlawful.

tech_monkey

Thu May 24, 2012 8:41 am

Isn't the extra DHL cost import and customs duty, rather than an extra delivery tax. And you would probably have had to pay something similar via UPS or FEDEX.
http://www.casatech.eu

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu May 24, 2012 8:56 am

benzeman wrote:
I wouldn't be so sure. Duty is usually paid on the value of the goods. That value is $35, and does not include shipping charges.

nicknml

Thu May 24, 2012 12:16 pm

pc77 wrote:That is what i've payed:

For RS:
R-Pi US$ 35,
Shipping Rate US$ 8,02

For DHL Brazil:
Shipping rate U$ 22.18
Taxes over U$ 43.02 U$40.15 (RS should do a favor to do not declare shipping rate in the order :( )
I would have gotten a friend in another country to order one for me and write in a low value (or at the very least not count the shipping cost as part of the value) on the customs form.

benzeman

Thu May 24, 2012 1:01 pm

rurwin wrote:
benzeman wrote:
I wouldn't be so sure. Duty is usually paid on the value of the goods. That value is $35, and does not include shipping charges.
If they didn't have to pay duty on shipping, RS could sell raspberry pi's for $0.01, with a $40 shipping charge. In the UK, at least, you have to pay duty on the total price of the item - including shipping, fees, and obviously what you actually paid for the item.

bicarbonato

Thu May 24, 2012 9:56 pm

pc77,

Thank you for the explanation.
I wish to know if you received some notification that your RPi was about to arrive.

And I wish to know too about the payment to DHL Brazil. How could you do the payment via phone?

I guess now I have a serious problem: a friend bought my RPi to me (because I don't have credit card). He wrote all my data at the RS website, and he put my address too, but he used his credit card. I don't know his credit card number (and I wouldn't use it if I knew it).
So I think I couldn't pay DHL Brazil via phone. You told me that I could pay all those taxes of DHL Brazil to the DHL guy in the monent of the delivery (at my house). Does this information proceed?

Until now, I paid US$35 for the RPi and US$8 (RS tax).

Thank you again!

SN

Thu May 24, 2012 10:30 pm

Most expensive raspi? I think I win with my £40,000 screen ;-)
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?

emercer

Tue May 29, 2012 12:58 pm

I refused delivery on my Pi because of that...

The problem is that courier deliveries are taxed very differently from mail deliveries in Brazil. When you order something abroad and it arrives thru the mail, you only pay import taxes on goods over US$50,00 (for some reason the taxation considers shipping as part of the price, so it's goods + shipping > 50 = 60% import tax).
When delivering by courier, there is no free ride under US$50, you pay 60% import tax on anything, even if it costs a buck or two. RS erred in not making it perfectly clear that their "standard" shipping was overnight courier (I know it says so in the FAQ, but the FAQ is not the checkout page), and so as a matter of principle I refused delivery (I could certainly afford a US$110,00 Raspberry Pi, but it completely beats the concept of a $35 computer).
I'm expecting RS to solve the shipping problem... I certainly am not going to reward them for their misstep by letting it slide and paying their courier of choice when the mistake is their own.

By the way, if you got your calculator down, you noticed that we are paying WAY above 60% import tax on the RasPi. Yes, besides the government tax, DHL is charging us with some weird "shipping and handling fee" of US$ 23,41 that has nothing to do with the US$ 33,16 in taxes (and should, therefore, be RS's problem, not ours). Just one more reason to refuse delivery.

varkey

Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:17 am

DHL is billing me ~ $20 as customs and handling charge! :( They should have used Royal Mail, I didn't mind waiting a few days.

Doktor-X

Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:25 am

i'm from Croatia and today i recive billing from DHL to pay 25% tax and handling in total of 40 usd and i pay to RS 51 usd for pi and power adapter to in total my rasperry pi will be 90 usd :o

labidus

Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:50 am

All this problem is due to the incompetence from farnell,newark, i mean, they are UK based and they have prob never sell that much on other country, now that you can only buy RSPI on UK, its impossible to get a fair shipping, the 5$/8$ shipping will never work, they should charge a little more to include import duty taxe, since they want make more money to give the illusion you are paying for something that cost nothing, the shipping charge must be low, but at the other end you end up to pay X2 X3 the actual item you pay for, its ridiculous, I will contact newark to see what shipping I must use, since i got like 100 choices, To many, I selected the one by default since with all the choice, no price was specified... at least I still have time to change the shipping since I ordered few days ago

emercer

Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:10 am

Quite the opposite: Both RS and Farnell/Newark/Element 14 are big, multinational corps that are used to selling components abroad to hundreds of countries, therefore they can't plead ignorance about methods of taxation by either the countries they're delivering to nor about fees DHL might charge their international costumers. It was an unforgivable oversight of RS to allow these fees to pile up on costumers who were expecting their R-Pis to arrive at the given cost. I don't blame the Foundation for the resulting ruckus, but they should at least acknowledge that their retailers of choice screwed up bad.

davez

Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:42 am

emercer wrote:Quite the opposite: Both RS and Farnell/Newark/Element 14 are big, multinational corps that are used to selling components abroad to hundreds of countries, therefore they can't plead ignorance about methods of taxation by either the countries they're delivering to nor about fees DHL might charge their international costumers. It was an unforgivable oversight of RS to allow these fees to pile up on costumers who were expecting their R-Pis to arrive at the given cost. I don't blame the Foundation for the resulting ruckus, but they should at least acknowledge that their retailers of choice screwed up bad.
It can also be seen as naive by people in countries where the different taxes and custom fees are often applied to for oversees imports. That should also be in the interest of given customer to actually know about these fees and not just play the I didn't know card. I do know that DHL charges a heck just for bringing in the part in the country, a lesson I learned importing a camera lens.

In reality it is just in the customers best interest to know about this, RS/Farnell just cares about the sale itself and dispatching it. They can only follow laws and rules when it comes to dispatching to another country and not lowering the said value or miss-labelling the import as gift or something to clear customs easier.

Edit: The VAT might be in the examples the values that RS gave you. But DHL also takes a fee for importing said item and you also might need to pay customs or other taxes than just VAT.
http://blog.davido.me General tech site

emercer

Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:54 am

Actually davez, as I explained in my first post, I do know quite well the taxation rules (and exceptions) and I was mislead by RS's definition of a DHL courier delivery as "standard shipping". Standard mail imports to Brazil are never taxed when below US$ 50, whereas courier shipping always pays import tax.

varkey

Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:59 am

emercer wrote:Actually davez, as I explained in my first post, I do know quite well the taxation rules (and exceptions) and I was mislead by RS's definition of a DHL courier delivery as "standard shipping". Standard mail imports to Brazil are never taxed when below US$ 50, whereas courier shipping always pays import tax.
Same situation here, if they had send it by normal International Airmail, I would have received it duty free, but packages through couriers are always subject to duty.

tufty

Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:41 am

varkey wrote:
emercer wrote:Actually davez, as I explained in my first post, I do know quite well the taxation rules (and exceptions) and I was mislead by RS's definition of a DHL courier delivery as "standard shipping". Standard mail imports to Brazil are never taxed when below US$ 50, whereas courier shipping always pays import tax.
Same situation here, if they had send it by normal International Airmail, I would have received it duty free, but packages through couriers are always subject to duty.
It's not just that, though. The couriers will also charge you a customs handling fee, which for small items is usually totally disproportionate to the cost of the item itself. In the case of the OP, $22.18. To be fair, national mail handlers also charge a handling fee for any item that actually gets picked up as needing duty paid, but it's usually a flat rate per item, it's not very much (in the UK, for example, it's 8 GBP), and with stuff going through the post you've got a 50/50 chance of not getting picked up at all.

Simon

Return to “General discussion”