Robotics288

Best Wire AWG for GPIO

Wed May 18, 2016 7:49 pm

Hello! What would be the best AWG for the GPIO pins? I am trying to setup a nichrome wire to burn through nylon. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

boyoh

Re: Best Wire AWG for GPIO

Wed May 18, 2016 8:29 pm

You will only be using the GPIO out/ put as a buffer switching stage, for the high current you will be using
You will have to calculate what voltage and load you will need Wattage heater wire, I think this will need
A separate power supply, The Pi will only control the buffer stage
BoyOh ( Selby, North Yorkshire.UK)
Some Times Right Some Times Wrong

DougieLawson

Fri May 20, 2016 6:18 pm

Before you shoot your RPi totally dead read https://www.raspberrypi.org/learning/ba ... ay-popper/

You can't draw more than 16mA from a GPIO pin without killing the pin and probably killing your RPi.
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tinfoil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

masa-aud

Sat May 21, 2016 1:43 am

reply to Robitics288 on Best Wire AWG for GPIO
I guess that you have to change your plan of what to do with Pi.
If you think to cut nylon with nichrome wire heated by some power and power switch ( relay or MosFET e.g. and the driver ) needed then to be controlled by Pi via GPIO pin through thin wire of any AWG depending mostly on safe solderig on the pin.
masa

masa-aud

Sat May 21, 2016 1:56 am

reply to Robotics on Best Wire AWG for GPIO
And about your leading wire connecting to the hot nichrome (
not for GPIO) you can try a cable rather thicker than the nic just like you see in toasters with heat protecting sleeve.
masa

skspurling

Sat May 21, 2016 4:23 am

yeah, shouldn't power anything directly from digital io pins. Pi or not. Digital outputs don't directly drive loads in most cases.

just out of curiosity, what do people in the UK measure wire diameter in?

broe23

Sat May 21, 2016 4:52 am

What kind of project are we talking here? Is this to do some sort of pseudo CNC unit?

I would look at using a cable that they used to use for audio on DVD/CD drives. I think that I may still have a couple of the cables laying in a parts Bin I keep in my workshop. I will check when I get home Sunday.

The wire is around 18 gauge.

The other is the flat pin cables that are used to connect the USB ports on the front of computers to the mother board.

I am sure there are a few like me who still have some of this stuff stuffed into a box somewhere.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good.

davidcoton

Sat May 21, 2016 8:28 am

skspurling wrote:just out of curiosity, what do people in the UK measure wire diameter in?
Old system SWG (Standard Wire Gauge)

New system: Cross sectional area in sq. mm (sorry can't do a superscript 2 :( )

Ref: Wikipedia covers SWG with references to BS (SWG and metric), AWG, etc
Signature retired

Return to “General discussion”