Douglas6

Raspberry Pi 'community'

Wed May 18, 2016 2:51 am

Is it eroding badly? Years ago, it was active and vibrant. Lately it seems to be relegated to telling people to expand the file system. The delegated Raspbian developers are doing great work, but the 'community' seems to be dying off. I can't remember hearing about a great Pi application here. Maybe it's just me.

stderr

Re: Raspberry Pi 'community'

Wed May 18, 2016 3:10 am

Douglas6 wrote: Lately it seems to be relegated to telling people to expand the file system.
Which is scary since they fixed that problem. At least we still have static ip troubles to scold folks about.

Douglas6

Wed May 18, 2016 3:17 am

stderr wrote:Which is scary since they fixed that problem.
Right, the developers did. The community is just reacting to that.

W. H. Heydt

Wed May 18, 2016 3:56 am

Possibly the longest running simple fix is "get a better PSU and/or USB cable". There was a post today for which that actually was the fix.

Douglas6

Wed May 18, 2016 4:04 am

Yeah, sorry, that wasn't the problem. The problem is the lack of real innovation in the Pi community. Perhaps a response like that makes my point

MarkHaysHarris777

Wed May 18, 2016 5:31 am

Douglas6 wrote:Is it eroding badly? Years ago, it was active and vibrant. Lately it seems to be relegated to telling people to expand the file system. The delegated Raspbian developers are doing great work, but the 'community' seems to be dying off. I can't remember hearing about a great Pi application here. Maybe it's just me.
Its just you.

... there are over 9 million Raspberry PIs in the wild... there are about 300 active users on this forum, including lurkers.

Try not to be too cynical. Some guy in Canada is measuring cosmic rays with their PIs... CERN is using their PIs in the hadron collider to measure something... some kid just posted his google cardboard stereoscopic robot with xbox wreless control and 3D double PI tank !! Bazillions of new folks are asking how to do this and that, and more than a few dozen posters have commented how cool the community is... so, um, go have a glass of wine and get a good night's sleep...

:)
marcus
:ugeek:

ghans

Wed May 18, 2016 6:32 am

I think we have to accept that this forum isn't the
center of all attention and innovation anymore. Raspberry
communities now not only exist on the Internet but also
in the real world.

Furthermore people use their established
channels to talk about and work with Raspberries. Robotics
people talking about Raspberries will stick to Robotics forums.
Artists will show their projects in galleries . Educators
use the Pis in schools. Academics will publish their Raspberry
Pi-based research in journals etc.

This is not a mark of failure , but of success - the
Raspberry Pi just become ubiquitous - just like "the Internet"
or "the PC" . It shows that the Raspberry Pi has changed the
landscape of computing in ways the creators propably
never imagined - a real global phenomen.

ghans
Last edited by ghans on Wed May 18, 2016 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

Heater

Wed May 18, 2016 6:39 am

Douglas6,
Is it eroding badly? Years ago, it was active and vibrant.... Maybe it's just me
It's just you. I see people coming here everyday trying to do weird and wonderful things.

Besides there's a huge lot of Raspi action elsewhere on the net.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

mthomason

Wed May 18, 2016 10:03 am

Just read the MagPi every month and you'll see the community is still innovating happily. It's also easier to read than having to filter through forum posts ;)

broe23

Wed May 18, 2016 1:41 pm

What is going on with the posts is really no different then how the discussions were back in the Home Brew days. Things that may get discussed for a while will end up fading and replaced with something else.

Continuing with a topic from the past just to push it into the thousands or hundreds of posts is not always best to do. It is always best to keep the topic towards what is the now and current, than rehashing stuff that no one even pays attention to anymore.
Last edited by broe23 on Thu May 19, 2016 12:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed May 18, 2016 1:54 pm

There are four years of posts on here now, that a lot of coverage of most issues, so Google will now find the answers to most questions. This means people have less need to post on here.

So the community is still here, but less needed.

As for particular projects, I'm sure Liz would like for people to continuing posting about them - good ones get on the blog! But as others have said - there are now lots of outlets for stuff like that.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

W. H. Heydt

Wed May 18, 2016 2:06 pm

ghans wrote: Furthermore people use their established
channels to talk about and work with Raspberries. Robotics
people talking about Raspberries will stick to Robotics forums.
Artists will show their projects in galleries . Educators
use the Pis in schools. Academics will publish their Raspberry
Pi-based research in journals etc.
There is a magazine I read called "MaximumPC". They are devoted to the latest, fastest, most power hungry WinTel systems and hang the cost (they've built "dream machines" costing over $15K). Recently, they've been running an article a month dedicated to doing something with a Raspberry Pi. Now *that's* market penetration.

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Wed May 18, 2016 2:41 pm

jamesh wrote:
As for particular projects, I'm sure Liz would like for people to continuing posting about them - good ones get on the blog! But as others have said - there are now lots of outlets for stuff like that.
What James said!
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Ian B

Wed May 18, 2016 2:50 pm

jamesh wrote:There are four years of posts on here now, that a lot of coverage of most issues, so Google will now find the answers to most questions. This means people have less need to post on here.

So the community is still here, but less needed.

Think this pretty much nails it, I was new to Pi and the community in November last year when I started looking at ways we could use them at work.

My first home project was to set a Pi2 up with a vibration sensor and small speaker attached to a baby gate on our utility room, so that I didn't have to shout at the dogs myself for scratching the gate whilst the baby was being bathed and they were therefore locked out of the living room (don't worry, they have a dog door and full access to the back garden at the time). So building the Pi in the first place, attaching the vibration sensor to GPIO pins, writing the mini Python programme to detect vibrations and play an MP3 file, followed by troubleshooting why the speaker wasn't working (sound output was set to HDMI whilst testing with a monitor plugged in, doh!) and making the script auto starting and setting the Pi volume to 100% by the same start up script.

Every single step of the way, and everything I've played with since, I could find a wealth of information both in this forum and across the web without having to open a new topic. The breadth of the community is truly exceptional and unlike any other technology product I've experienced before.

skspurling

Wed May 18, 2016 4:29 pm

MagPi is great. I've been noticing the MAKE magazine is getting a bit thin lately. Not literally, but content wise. Still good stuff, but not as much. I think there is a general morose popping up in the wider community. People still making, just getting distracted by life for a bit. It goes in cycles.

Nickcn

Wed May 18, 2016 4:49 pm

When you have multiple threads in the Pi forum to the effect of:

'hey I am [in my 20's - 30's and] gay, and live here [some random State], any pi users (guys) want to hook up?', or 'hey, I suffer from an emotional/mental/brain development disorder, and think it is awesome and cool! Any others as cool as me (no pretenders please :twisted: !!)?

Then to me, that suggests this forum is on it's way downhill. Especially considering this whole pi thing is targeted at grade school kids. I wont let my 9, and 10 year olds use this forum anymore, and I told their teachers, and other parents to steer clear as well, lest their children be targeted by potential predators.

To each his own though.

Douglas6

Wed May 18, 2016 4:56 pm

Well, if you are that paranoid (and homophobic?), you probably shouldn't let your kids on the Internet at all.

Pithagoros

Wed May 18, 2016 4:58 pm

:?: :!:

lpsw

Wed May 18, 2016 5:03 pm

My grand kids use these forums all the time. The only restriction I put on them is that I review and approve of any posts they want to make (they do not make many, they have learned how to search). Saves them from some of the snarkiness (is that a word) that inevitably creeps into any and probably all internet forums. Still a valuable resource with several excellent contributors (James, Joan, etc etc).
Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is - Isaac Asimov

liz

Wed May 18, 2016 5:07 pm

Ipsw makes a very important point - you can't necessarily see them, because on the internet everybody looks the same, but there are a lot of kids here. (It's one of the reasons we moderate quite strictly; it's important to us that these forums are a safe and useful place for kids to come, and that they don't put them off.)

I try to remind everybody every couple of months, and I guess this is a good time to do it: if you think somebody's behaving like a 12-year-old, there is a good chance that it's because they're a 12-year-old. A little tolerance is always a good thing, and it's also good for the soul to be kind and patient with a stranger - and remember that if you're finding someone particularly unbearable, there's always the ignore button.

liz

Wed May 18, 2016 5:11 pm

Nickcn wrote:When you have multiple threads in the Pi forum to the effect of...
You're talking about one user there - and that user's not around any more, because they didn't respond well to being asked to tone it down and continued with the same (and worse) behaviour. We *do* moderate carefully; I'd challenge you to find anything else at all similar here. (That user actually *is* on the autistic spectrum - we did some checking, and we're tolerant of non-standard neurologies around here - but the user was also trolling, which we don't tolerate.)

Nickcn

Wed May 18, 2016 5:12 pm

There is one user (EimGhey) here that is nearly 30 years old, and acts like he is 10. You guys (Liz and the rest of the Pi Mods) cut him alot of slack as though he really were a child, and he isn't).

[edit by mod. remove unfounded accusation]

edit...

Just say new post
liz wrote:
Nickcn wrote:When you have multiple threads in the Pi forum to the effect of...
You're talking about one user there - and that user's not around any more, because they didn't respond well to being asked to tone it down and continued with the same (and worse) behaviour. We *do* moderate carefully; I'd challenge you to find anything else at all similar here. (That user actually *is* on the autistic spectrum - we did some checking, and we're tolerant of non-standard neurologies around here - but the user was also trolling, which we don't tolerate.)

Why did you guys ban Rive over him trying to put a "check" to that guy?
Last edited by Nickcn on Wed May 18, 2016 5:16 pm, edited 4 times in total.

lpsw

Wed May 18, 2016 5:13 pm

Keep up the great work Liz. And Eben too :)
Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is - Isaac Asimov

PeterO

Wed May 18, 2016 5:32 pm

Nickcn wrote: Why did you guys ban Rive over him trying to put a "check" to that guy?
Probably because there is no way to know what are the motives behind any such moves.
If you have concerns, then press the "report a post" button and get the mods to handle it, that's what they are here for.
PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

Burngate

Wed May 18, 2016 5:44 pm

liz wrote:... and remember that if you're finding someone particularly unbearable, there's always the ignore button.
I wonder if there's any way to find out how many people are ignoring me

Return to “General discussion”