curious4872

Pi Zero unit economics

Tue May 17, 2016 7:18 pm

Is it possible for the foundation to manufacture hundreds of millions of pi zeros per month, or is it a loss in some way?

- It uses the "ARM1176JZF-S" processor.

- In 2013, "10 billion ARM devices were produced" (the wikipedia article on ARM architecture)

But if the unit economics don't make sense - if the foundation loses money on every sale - then it'll never manufacture millions of pi zeros per month.

Also, in this case can some other manufacture do it, if they have larger scale than the foundation does? This encompasses two questions: 1) do other manufacturers have the right? Is the pi zero by the foundation an open design (like the arduino), which can have other people copy it as long as they don't use the raspberry pi name? 2) do the unit economics make sense for other manufacturers?

Basically, I'm asking: if we assume there's a demand for millions of units per month of the pi zero, will the Foundation or anyone else be able to meet them anytime soon?

Or not a chance?

Thanks.

EDIT: Renamed thread from "Does the Pi Zero have sensible unit economies?" to "Pi Zero unit economics"
Last edited by curious4872 on Wed May 18, 2016 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

kusti8

Re: Does the Pi Zero have sensible unit economies?

Tue May 17, 2016 7:26 pm

Nobody else can produce the Zero because it's not open hardware. They have to make money somehow to support their charity. They wouldn't have priced it that way if they were making a loss, the profit margins are just too small. I'm optimistic. But then again I already have one.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

curious4872

Tue May 17, 2016 7:32 pm

kusti8 wrote:Nobody else can produce the Zero because it's not open hardware.
Okay. Followup: do you think anyone else will do something similar, in a similar price range?

They have to make money somehow to support their charity. They wouldn't have priced it that way if they were making a loss, the profit margins are just too small. I'm optimistic. But then again I already have one.
This does not make sense to me. What I mean is that if we (the entire Internet) put together a kickstarter for everyone who wants a few thousand of them and give the foundation a single purchase order that says "We would like to collectively collect ten million of these, paying around fifty million for them to you. You have 4 months to deliver." will the foundation say "yes" or "no" to that purchase order?

I can't put it any more simply than that. At the moment they are targeting 50k per month, so * 12 is just 600,000 per YEAR.

Would they say YES or would they say NO to a purchase order that is twenty times higher than their current annual target? That is what I mean when asking whether the unit economics make sense or not. Yes, they'd accept that PO means: the unit economics work. No, they wouldn't accept that PO means: the unit economics don't work.

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue May 17, 2016 7:46 pm

curious4872 wrote: Basically, I'm asking: if we assume there's a demand for millions of units per month of the pi zero ...
Sorry, but that's a "false assumption" - sales of all Pi's to date approximate ~180k Pi's per month (~9 million Pi's over 51 months).
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie or Stretch on some older Pi's (an A, B1, 2xB2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W, 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, and a A+) but Buster on the P4B's. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

kusti8

Tue May 17, 2016 7:57 pm

What difference does it make if it is spread out across multiple orders or just one? They are still making money and won't offer a discount for big orders. The RPF benefits from being a charity and able to live with very small profit margins so no I don't think anyone can make something like the Zero at such a low price point.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

rpdom

Tue May 17, 2016 8:03 pm

curious4872 wrote: This does not make sense to me. What I mean is that if we (the entire Internet) put together a kickstarter for everyone who wants a few thousand of them and give the foundation a single purchase order that says "We would like to collectively collect ten million of these, paying around fifty million for them to you. You have 4 months to deliver." will the foundation say "yes" or "no" to that purchase order?

I can't put it any more simply than that. At the moment they are targeting 50k per month, so * 12 is just 600,000 per YEAR.

Would they say YES or would they say NO to a purchase order that is twenty times higher than their current annual target? That is what I mean when asking whether the unit economics make sense or not. Yes, they'd accept that PO means: the unit economics work. No, they wouldn't accept that PO means: the unit economics don't work.
The simple answer is No.

The production line in Wales is running at near-full capacity. To produce more would require construction of new assembly lines, which would totally wipe out the tiny profit that the Foundation get from the Zero.

Also, perhaps more significant, is the supply of the BCM2835 chip which is currently used by the A+, B+, CM and Zero. (ok, so the A+ and CM are being replaced by different models). I believe production of those has been ramped up a lot, but I doubt it can go much higher.

W. H. Heydt

Tue May 17, 2016 8:29 pm

rpdom wrote: The simple answer is No.

The production line in Wales is running at near-full capacity. To produce more would require construction of new assembly lines, which would totally wipe out the tiny profit that the Foundation get from the Zero.
More to the point, putting in a new assembly line just for Pi Zeros would more than wipe out *Sony's* profit on making them for the foreseeable future, so *Sony* wouldn't do that (and they're the ones that would be doing--and paying for--putting a new line in). Current overall production rates appear to be pretty close to 4 million Pis per year, counting all models. It's pretty likely that 3 million of those for this year will be Pi3Bs (the current top model being--generally speaking--the best selling one). Take another 500K or so for the Pi Zero (50K per month plus however many were made the first 4 months of the year...and being generous about it). Right now, A+512MB are in short supply (MCM isn't expecting more until the beginning of July). With the Pi3A and CM3 coming all of those models, plus any Pi2B sales (probably a fair number, it's still a very good board) and maybe some B+ boards have to come out of the residual 500K.

On the other hand, there is probably Chinese manufacturing going on for models other than the Pi Zero, so there might be another 1 to 2 million additional units that could be made this year.
Also, perhaps more significant, is the supply of the BCM2835 chip which is currently used by the A+, B+, CM and Zero. (ok, so the A+ and CM are being replaced by different models). I believe production of those has been ramped up a lot, but I doubt it can go much higher.
Agreed. At this point, Pi manufacturing in Wales is "inelastic." Plus, none of this analysis takes into account the 3 months or so lead time for baking BCM2835 SoCs. We've seen production bottlenecks over that issue before.

So the short answer is, as has been noted, NO. No matter how much money is thrown at the RPT, 50K per month Pi Zeros is probably the best we can hope for. What remains to be seen is whether that will be enough so that those that only want one or two get them and the supply channel eases off enough so that those that want them in bunches can get them that way.

And, of course, there will be a run on Pi3A boards when those come along. Probably not as much a rush for CM3 boards as those are just a bit of a specialty item, but there will be a need to build a pre-launch stockpile even there (50K perhaps?).

W. H. Heydt

Tue May 17, 2016 8:40 pm

FTrevorGowen wrote:
curious4872 wrote: Basically, I'm asking: if we assume there's a demand for millions of units per month of the pi zero ...
Sorry, but that's a "false assumption" - sales of all Pi's to date approximate ~180k Pi's per month (~9 million Pi's over 51 months).
Trev.
Current rate *should* be between 320K and 350K per month at Pencoed, with short term stretch production hitting about 400K per month. The problem with the "180K per month, average" is that that is averaging a much lower initial production rate with the current one.

While there *might* be a demand for "millions of Pis per month" (and like you, I think that's a false assumption), under any real examination there is no way to even approach such a figure.

Perhaps it is worth noting that the total lifetime production of Beagleboards (the second best selling line of inexpensive hobbyist SBCs, so far as I know) is about 300K by now for the BBB. (There is data on elinux.org. Sales appear to be declining.)

fruitoftheloom

Tue May 17, 2016 9:21 pm

curious4872 wrote:Is it possible for the foundation to manufacture hundreds of millions of pi zeros per month, or is it a loss in some way?

- It uses the "ARM1176JZF-S" processor.

- In 2013, "10 billion ARM devices were produced" (the wikipedia article on ARM architecture)

But if the unit economics don't make sense - if the foundation loses money on every sale - then it'll never manufacture millions of pi zeros per month.

Also, in this case can some other manufacture do it, if they have larger scale than the foundation does? This encompasses two questions: 1) do other manufacturers have the right? Is the pi zero by the foundation an open design (like the arduino), which can have other people copy it as long as they don't use the raspberry pi name? 2) do the unit economics make sense for other manufacturers?

Basically, I'm asking: if we assume there's a demand for millions of units per month of the pi zero, will the Foundation or anyone else be able to meet them anytime soon?

Or not a chance?

Thanks.
The Raspberry Pi Foundation do not develop / manufacture the ZERO or any RPi models.

Raspberry Pi Trading are responsible for the ZERO etcetera
Rather than negativity think outside the box !
RPi 4B 4GB (SSD Boot) RaspiOS64 ARM64
Asus ChromeBox 3 Celeron is my other computer...

W. H. Heydt

Tue May 17, 2016 9:33 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote: The Raspberry Pi Foundation do not develop / manufacture the ZERO or any RPi models.

Okay...you're nitpicking the distinction between the RPF and RPT. Neither entity does manufacturing, though the RPT *contracts* for manufacturing the Pi Zero. I don't think the "development" (design?) side is that clear cut. That said, the development part of the process is, comparatively speaking minor and not causing delays. The bottleneck is manufacturing and costs need to be kept down for that (which informs the design...and I'm sure that was done in close cooperation with Sony), so using overtime (with higher labor rates) to make more Pi Zeros is going to be right out.

Also note that the special camera cable was (per the blog) designed by Matt Richardson, who--so far as I know--is an employee of the RPF, not RPT.

(And a side note...how long will it be before Adafruit gets Pi Zero camera cables made in different lengths? That will be a much bigger market than just doing it for the CM development carrier board.)

geoffr

Tue May 17, 2016 11:27 pm

curious4872 wrote:
Okay. Followup: do you think anyone else will do something similar, in a similar price range?
The closest comparable device is probably the CHIP, which has a RRP of USD 9.00. While it has more functionality, like built in wireless, it has disadvantages like:
  • Currently the CHIP is still in pre-order distribution, and not really "available"
  • It has no community - i.e. nobody to ask for help
  • It has no upgrade path to a more powerful device - you can take your microSD card out of a Pi Zero and stick it in a Pi 3.
  • It doesn't have the software base of the Pi
Given the challenges of getting a device onto the market at a price of USD 5.00 I think what has been achieved regarding the Pi Zero is amazing.

W. H. Heydt

Tue May 17, 2016 11:56 pm

geoffr wrote:
curious4872 wrote:
The closest comparable device is probably the CHIP, which has a RRP of USD 9.00. While it has more functionality, like built in wireless, it has disadvantages like:
  • Currently the CHIP is still in pre-order distribution, and not really "available"
  • It has no upgrade path to a more powerful device - you can take your microSD card out of a Pi Zero and stick it in a Pi 3.
Given the challenges of getting a device onto the market at a price of USD 5.00 I think what has been achieved regarding the Pi Zero is amazing.
The CHIP is also limited to composite video output, unless you add a VGA adapter ($10) or an HDMI adpater ($15). Either of those pushes the price to or above a Model A. With the Pi3A slated for this year, one might well wonder what the future of the CHIP is going to be.

tweak42

Wed May 18, 2016 12:31 am

geoffr wrote:
curious4872 wrote:
CHIP looks good as a for-profit low cost competitor to the Pi Zero, but that lack of community really hurts. Still they appear to be on track for general release. The Zero production shortfall evened the playing field somewhat on account of general availability, plus Zero demand validates the CHIP's target market. Personally, I would wait few months until we can evaluate the availability and stability of the software.

Recent initial impressions of the Pine64 are pretty rough around the edges, but as with the CHIP it's way to early to make any assumptions on where they're headed.
http://hackaday.com/2016/04/21/pine64-the-un-review/
http://www.s-config.com/pine64-pine-a64-impression/

mthomason

Wed May 18, 2016 2:56 am

geoffr wrote:
curious4872 wrote:
The closest comparable device is probably the CHIP, which has a RRP of USD 9.00.
Another option I saw recently was the Orange Pi One, at $9.99/£7.01

curious4872

Wed May 18, 2016 5:09 am

FTrevorGowen wrote:
Trev.
With all respect, my personal impression - that requires validation - is different.

My own personal impression is that if it is legal to use a raspberry pi zero as part of another product (an embedded application) and if there are no showstopper latent bugs (it is what it seems to be) then despite the educational mission of the raspberry pi foundation, raspberry has created something there is a market of ten million of for $5.50 per pc with a 6-month lead time.

While I haven't investigated in detail, I can state with some certainty:

-> There are probably over 1,000 public and private high schools that have a budget of $5,000 to give a pi to each of 1,000 students, if that is their minimum order size and due by next September. (The same is not true of more expensive models.) That is 1M pcs.

-> There are over 100 verticals in IoT markets in which at least 10 small development manufacturers would place a minimum order of 1000. This is 1M pcs.

I don't want to keep running these numbers but the reference to the total sales of non-$5 devices is not directly relevant to demand for $5 devices - especially when the $5 device is the cheapest one in existence, and much cheaper than the next-cheapest one. If the cheapest taco you can buy in Beijing has been $35 until a couple of weeks ago, that tells you nothing about the demand for a $5 taco. Nothing. Especially if since opening, the $5 taco place has been sold out every few seconds, with people buying that taco and reselling it for $35, even before anybody knew about it.

Especially if we add that to date there have been lots of restaurants that let you buy SOMETHING - even if it's not a taco - for $20-$30, but that in addition to being a $5 taco, the $5 taco restaurant is the ONLY restaurant you can sit down and have a $5 warm meal at in Beijing, and the next-cheapest warm meal costs $15. Because that is the situation today. The next-cheapest SoC with the Raspberry Pi Zero capabilities doesn't cost $7, or $10, or $12, or even $15. The next-cheapest system on a chip that is available (unlike the $9 CHIP which is not available) is a like a large multiple of the pi zero price. (Unfortunately my thread asking what that was has been locked, with reference to not talking about competition on a raspberry pi forum. Fair enough.)

It is no underestimation that the demand for a $5 taco is more than a thousand times higher than the demand for a $25 taco under the situation I have outlined. That is the situation today.

This is actually quite easy to validate. Suppose I put up a kickstarter to get the Raspberry Pi Zero into the hands of people who use it as a component. Suppose that the minimum size was 680 raspberry pi zeros and that the maximum is 1694 raspberry pi zeros.

I got this like this:

Pledge amt -|- Fixed price per pi -|- Kickstarter commission (5%) -|- -|- Commission (fixed): -|- -|- Foundation bribe to get them to do it -|- Number of pis -|- Price per
$10,000 -|- 5 -|- $500 -|- $30 -|- $1,000 -|- 1694 -|- $5.90
$8,000 -|- 5 -|- $400 -|- $40 -|- $1,200 -|- 1272 -|- $6.29
$5,000 -|- 5 -|- $250 -|- $50 -|- $1,300 -|- 680 -|- $7.35
-|- -|- -|- -|- -|- -|-
Goal: 1,000 backers committing $10,000 each for 1690 units each. -|- -|- -|- -|-
-|- -|- -|- -|- -|- -|-
= 1.6 million Raspberry Pi Zeros -|- -|- -|- -|-
= Additional $1 million bribe to the foundation to get them to actually accept this. -|- -|- -|- -|-

Let's break this down.

This is what pledgers would get:

Pledge amt -|- Number of pis -|- Price per
10000 -|- 1694 -|- 5.903187721
8000 -|- 1272 -|- 6.289308176
5000 -|- 680 -|- 7.352941176

The formula I used is as follows:

I included a 5% kickstarter fee:

Pledge amt -|- Kickstarter commission (5%)
10000 -|- 500
8000 -|- 400
5000 -|- 250

I included a commission that is fixed to the person (such as me) bothering to put up the kickstarter:

Pledge amt -|- Commission (fixed):
$10,000 -|- $30
$8,000 -|- $40
$5,000 -|- $50

I included a bribe contribution to be paid to the Raspberry Pi Foundation / Raspberry Pi Trading to get them to support their educational mission / to get them to do it, respectively:

Pledge amt -|- Foundation bribe to get them to do it
10000 -|- 1000
8000 -|- 1200
5000 -|- 1300

And then by subtracting, from the pledge amount the (Kickstarter Commission, the "project" low fixed Commission, the bribe) and dividing by the fixed price of 5 we get:

Pledge amt -|- Number of pis
10000 -|- 1694
8000 -|- 1272
5000 -|- 680

And dividing the pledge amount by the number of pis we get: "PRICE PER PI"
Pledge amt -|- Price per
10000 -|- 5.903187721
8000 -|- 6.289308176
5000 -|- 7.352941176

So, again, in summary the pledgers would get:

Pledge amt -|- Number of pis you receive for this pledge -|- Price per pi (divide first by second)
10000 -|- 1694 -|- 5.903187721
8000 -|- 1272 -|- 6.289308176
5000 -|- 680 -|- 7.352941176

The goal would be to get 1,000 orders at the 10,000 pledge level (this is the maximum kickstarter pledge), which means that the order that the kickstarter campaign would end up placing would:

-> Consist of 1,000 orders (each of 1694 pis)

-> Total 1.694 million pi zeros

-> Include a bribe of $1 Million to support the foundation's educational mission, get them to do it.

-> Include $5 per pi paid to them.

It costs nothing to put this campaign up. Here's the million-dollar question: would the foundation/trading accept that PO for 1.69 million pis, yes or no?

Well...you guys are saying "no".

So -- how many PI's -- and what kind of bribe/support -- WOULD they accept? Give me numbers.

(Note: I've renamed the thread from "Does the Pi Zero have sensible unit economies" to "Pi Zero unit economics" to emphasize that this is an economics question. Obviously there is a number that answers my above question - if Apple gave the foundation a $1 billion bribe - not asking for anything in return - but they have to agree to manufacture for the world (not Apple) up to 10m pi zeros per year for $5 each, then obviously they would do it. --- this is just an example proving that there has to be some number, it's impossible for that number not to exist. if that number is too high, it still exists. I'm asking for that number, whether it's closer or $1M or whatever.])

Note: If I have any errors in my calculations above, kindly let me know!
Last edited by curious4872 on Wed May 18, 2016 7:18 am, edited 5 times in total.

W. H. Heydt

Wed May 18, 2016 5:15 am

curious4872 wrote: Note: If I have any errors in my calculations above, kindly let me know!
Just one. The average KS pledge is about $25.

fruitoftheloom

Wed May 18, 2016 5:20 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:
fruitoftheloom wrote: The Raspberry Pi Foundation do not develop / manufacture the ZERO or any RPi models.

Okay...you're nitpicking the distinction between the RPF and RPT. Neither entity does manufacturing, though the RPT *contracts* for manufacturing the Pi Zero. I don't think the "development" (design?) side is that clear cut. That said, the development part of the process is, comparatively speaking minor and not causing delays. The bottleneck is manufacturing and costs need to be kept down for that (which informs the design...and I'm sure that was done in close cooperation with Sony), so using overtime (with higher labor rates) to make more Pi Zeros is going to be right out.

Also note that the special camera cable was (per the blog) designed by Matt Richardson, who--so far as I know--is an employee of the RPF, not RPT.

(And a side note...how long will it be before Adafruit gets Pi Zero camera cables made in different lengths? That will be a much bigger market than just doing it for the CM development carrier board.)
Now you are nitpicking, let me re-phrsse:

Raspberry Pi Trading are the Commercial Side of the Charity and sole purpose is to generate income ie Profit.

Therefore either Solely or with Partners are responsible for the selling Raspberry Pi Models and some Peripherals.

Anyway this whole thread is a regurgitation of previous discussions.......

ghans

Re: Pi Zero unit economics

Wed May 18, 2016 6:25 am

You will achieve nothing by posting in this forum. You
propably want to contact the foundation in meatspace
(just don't ask me how you actually do that).

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

fruitoftheloom

Wed May 18, 2016 6:37 am

ghans wrote:You will achieve nothing by posting in this forum. You
propably want to contact the foundation in meatspace
(just don't ask me how you actually do that).

ghans
ghans whom is your post aimed at, the Original Poster ??????

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed May 18, 2016 7:21 am

5% KS fee is right, but the net amount usually received from KS is roughly 90% of contributions. There is another ~5% transaction fee (which is scandalously high, but that's another story). Also the maximum UK pledge is £5000.

But it's all moot anyway because RPi already know there is a market for these and are producing as many as they can. So your speculation is pretty pointless.
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

mikerr

Wed May 18, 2016 7:58 am

IMO its more to do with RP's politics of the zero

Must keep $5 price
Must go it alone without RS/farnell
Must keep production in UK, not china

Now if those were to change we could have a real available product (like the pi3)
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

curious4872

Wed May 18, 2016 8:05 am

alexeames wrote:5% KS fee is right, but the net amount usually received from KS is roughly 90% of contributions. There is another ~5% transaction fee (which is scandalously high, but that's another story). Also the maximum UK pledge is £5000.

But it's all moot anyway because RPi already know there is a market for these and are producing as many as they can. So your speculation is pretty pointless.
This is true only if the unit economics make sense, which may not be the case. (Yes, the transaction fee you refer to seems to be a credit card processing fee, and you're right, I didn't include it.)

I don't think the fact that someone is making as many as they can means that they would take the risk, sight-unseen, of scaling. It would be a different matter if they received a check from a fully backed Kickstarter.

Cancelor

Wed May 18, 2016 8:06 am

curious4872 wrote:... how many PI's -- and what kind of bribe/support -- WOULD they accept? ...
This is a forum. If you really want an answer instead of a discussion then this is the wrong place to ask.
Can't find the thread you want? Try googling : YourSearchHere site:raspberrypi.org

gkreidl

Wed May 18, 2016 8:18 am

@curious4872

Looking at your earlier posts reveals what you are really interested in: You want to create and sell a product based on the Pi Zero. For that you need a stable and reliable delivery channel providing you with any number you require.

That won't happen for a long time. It's not what the Foundation is aiming at and it's currently not possible. They are not responsible for your product ideas or business model. Complaining won't help you.

Create your own solution (board). If you cannot do that (and I suppose you can't), simply give up (and stop bothering us with your complaints.)
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed May 18, 2016 8:33 am

gkreidl wrote:@curious4872

Looking at your earlier posts reveals what you are really interested in: You want to create and sell a product based on the Pi Zero. For that you need a stable and reliable delivery channel providing you with any number you require.

That won't happen for a long time. It's not what the Foundation is aiming at and it's currently not possible. They are not responsible for your product ideas or business model. Complaining won't help you.

Create your own solution (board). If you cannot do that (and I suppose you can't), simply give up (and stop bothering us with your complaints.)
Adding to what gkreidl said... Also - don't forget Eben has publicly stated (on the Pi Podcast this week) that the Zero is not guaranteed to be a "fixed" form factor. They reserve the right to mess with it. They are not messing with the form factor of the other Pis. So if you want to build a business around a product based on Pi Zero you are taking a big risk with unknown unknowns.
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

Return to “General discussion”