W. H. Heydt

Re: Plus ca change... Pi Zero 1.3 now OOS at Adafruit

Mon May 23, 2016 4:44 am

Well.... I don't know where you live that Adafruit shipping starts at $10. I'm in Califormia (so about as far from Adafruit as you can get and still be in the "lower 48") and their lowest cost shipping is about $7.

On the other hand, I managed to order a bare Pi Zero from PiHut last week. That came to 4GBP for the board, plus 4GBP for shipping and the bank will add about $1.25 for currency conversion. That makes it cheaper to get a Pi Zero from the UK than it is from a US retailer. Go figure.

Also...just checked and Pimoroni still has some kits--and not their most expensive kit--listed as in stock from the batch that hit the channel this past week. That's got to be some kind of record for Pi Zero availability if you're desperate enough (or need the other bits) to buy a kit.

It's going to be interesting to see who gets a batch of Pi Zeros this coming week. If it turns out to be MicroCenter...we may never know, but if it Adafruit, we should.

plugh

Mon May 23, 2016 12:41 pm

ga2500ev wrote:Microcenters have the Pi Zero 1.3 with camera connector in stock as of yesterday.
Well, that didn't take long...

As of Monday morning, every microcenter store is now showing
"This product is no longer available."

ga2500ev

Mon May 23, 2016 7:11 pm

plugh wrote:
ga2500ev wrote:Microcenters have the Pi Zero 1.3 with camera connector in stock as of yesterday.
Well, that didn't take long...

As of Monday morning, every microcenter store is now showing
"This product is no longer available."
Looks like Microcenter screwed up their new entry for ordering online and picking up in store. This Reddit thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/raspberry_pi/c ... pberry_pi/

discusses the fact that folks were ordering 10 or more online then picking up in store. So it's likely that MicroCenter picked up the glitch and shut down the online ordering system. Expect the online system to come back up when it's fixed. In the meantime it may be smart to simply call and see if they have any in stock.

ga2500ev

tweak42

Mon May 23, 2016 7:21 pm

Has anyone seen the special Pi Zero camera cable available anywhere in the US other than Adafruit? I was hoping Micro Center would have it stocked with the 1st batch of Zeros, but I haven't seen it on their site.

fdr4prez

Mon May 23, 2016 8:13 pm

I've ordered three Zero from Adafruit. Each was $5 shipping to California.

This morning Microcenter seems to have changed their website and they no longer list the Pi Zero as an individual item.

Before they use to list it as "in store purchase only", but at least you can check stock of them.

Even though many stores showed stock just a couple days ago, now none of them even list the Pi Zero as an item.

Now they only list a $20 kit, and it can be ordered online.

so if you need a Zero, with a power supply and other cables, you can order from Microcenter for $20 - no clue what they charge for shipping.

Or call them to see if they still sell the individual Pi Zero boards.

Or wait until next week when Adafruit should be getting more.

asandford

Mon May 23, 2016 11:36 pm

jamesh wrote: We really are spoiled nowadays. Same day shipping was unheard of a few years ago.
I ordered a Pi3 kit from Amazon a few weeks ago, and it delivered the same day.

ga2500ev

Tue May 24, 2016 12:36 pm

fdr4prez wrote:I've ordered three Zero from Adafruit. Each was $5 shipping to California.
Must be nice. I just tried again with a couple of items, a USB OTG hub and the Pi Zero camera cable. The only shipping options available were UPS. For both UPS ground shipping was $9.51.
This morning Microcenter seems to have changed their website and they no longer list the Pi Zero as an individual item.

Before they use to list it as "in store purchase only", but at least you can check stock of them.

Even though many stores showed stock just a couple days ago, now none of them even list the Pi Zero as an item.

Now they only list a $20 kit, and it can be ordered online.

so if you need a Zero, with a power supply and other cables, you can order from Microcenter for $20 - no clue what they charge for shipping.

Or call them to see if they still sell the individual Pi Zero boards.

Or wait until next week when Adafruit should be getting more.
Personally I'm OK for now. Actually it may be worth buying one of the $20 kits just to have a set of useful cables.

Actually I agree with MicroCenter if this is a plan to keep reseller from purchasing large quantities. However, I certainly hope that they get back to a strict one per household/visit purchase policy. And they should start selling them with that policy online with reasonable shipping too.

ga2500ev

Return to “General discussion”