Pithagoros

Re: A picture from The Pi Hut

Mon May 16, 2016 4:29 pm

osid wrote:What can I say...?

For an italian, it's a sad image, because, at the moment, buying only a Pi Zero in Italy is no sense.
All stores ship only by international courier.
Why paying between 10 and 20 GBP for shipping a 4 GBP item? :|
This could be solved by teaming up with someone here, who could purchase the Pi and send it south by standard air post.
I've done this a couple of times to Italy and Spain where the other person has agree to take the risk, postage is only £2, so aggregated £4.50 - total £8.50, roughly €11.

W. H. Heydt

Mon May 16, 2016 4:32 pm

liz wrote:Pimoroni were reporting a Zero sale every three seconds this morning. And Jamie from The Pi Hut has been posting TERRIFYING pictures of post bags to Vine. This was the state of play after about four hours of sales: https://vine.co/v/i0iebWu7rpI
It's interesting to compare that to the problems the PINE64 folks are having trying to ship 48K boards.... Every week, Pis are shipped in volumes that put any other SBC in the shade.

fanoush

Mon May 16, 2016 4:37 pm

jamesh wrote:but there is ongoing production that should feed the frenzy
So are they back in stock tomorrow? :P

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon May 16, 2016 4:39 pm

Pithagoros wrote:

For an italian, it's a sad image, because, at the moment, buying only a Pi Zero in Italy is no sense.
This could be solved by teaming up with someone here, who could purchase the Pi and send it south by standard air post.
I've done this a couple of times to Italy and Spain where the other person has agree to take the risk, postage is only £2, so aggregated £4.50 - total £8.50, roughly €11.
Actually £2.40 with Royal Mail, but that's without a signature, otherwise £7.75. Would you risk sending it abroad without a signature?
Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

Pithagoros

Mon May 16, 2016 4:40 pm

fanoush wrote:
They will still be in stock tomorrow, as they are now.

hippy

Mon May 16, 2016 5:01 pm

jamesh wrote:OK, not allowed to discuss specific figures for commercial reasons (which I heartily agree with), but there is ongoing production that should feed the frenzy. So hopefully no large gaps in production like we have seen since the Zero was first launched.
Not sure what those commercial reasons would be given Eben already announced an initial 250K and intent to build up to 600K a year, but do appreciate your effort.

I do wish the Foundation could be more forthcoming about how things are rather than seeming to hide behind 'commercial reasons' like others hide behind 'national security'. Things don't always go to plan, and most here are grown up enough to understand that; it's uncertainty and lack of facts which leads to annoyance and frustration. Hopefully things will improve but that's hard to assess without seeing a roadmap one can have confidence in.

I guess it shows just how difficult it is to produce, distribute, and satisfy a huge market for a low-cost, minimal profit product even with a premier manufacturer on-board.

W. H. Heydt

Mon May 16, 2016 5:31 pm

Pithagoros wrote:
fanoush wrote:
Only if you're looking at a package deal rather than Pi Zero board only. If you search on Pi Zero at Pi Hut, the only thing that comes up is a kit. Whereismypizero.com shows Pi Supply (who only list a $20 kit) and Adafruit both show "out of stock".

Granted, the "in stock just as they are now" can be read as "not in stock".

So..no. just Pi Zeros are NOT in stock. The UK suppliers still have kits, but no board only sales. I really don't want to spent 2 to 5 times for the add-on bits that I either already have, or can get for a lot less. Yes, I know the retailers need to turn a profit and jacking up the prices on a collection of add-ons is one way to do that, but they are a lot more likely to get at least some of us to buy additional items (particularly ones where they have decent prices or are simply not easily available elsewhere) by posting fewer kits and more unbundled boards.

Pithagoros

Mon May 16, 2016 5:40 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Pithagoros wrote: They will still be in stock tomorrow, as they are now.
Only if you're looking at a package deal rather than Pi Zero board only.
Yep, exactly that.

Pithagoros

Mon May 16, 2016 5:41 pm

texy wrote:
Pithagoros wrote:

Actually £2.40 with Royal Mail, but that's without a signature, otherwise £7.75. Would you risk sending it abroad without a signature?
Texy
"Would I risk sending it abroad without a signature"

Please read my comment.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon May 16, 2016 5:59 pm

hippy wrote:
jamesh wrote:OK, not allowed to discuss specific figures for commercial reasons (which I heartily agree with), but there is ongoing production that should feed the frenzy. So hopefully no large gaps in production like we have seen since the Zero was first launched.
Not sure what those commercial reasons would be given Eben already announced an initial 250K and intent to build up to 600K a year, but do appreciate your effort.

I do wish the Foundation could be more forthcoming about how things are rather than seeming to hide behind 'commercial reasons' like others hide behind 'national security'. Things don't always go to plan, and most here are grown up enough to understand that; it's uncertainty and lack of facts which leads to annoyance and frustration. Hopefully things will improve but that's hard to assess without seeing a roadmap one can have confidence in.

I guess it shows just how difficult it is to produce, distribute, and satisfy a huge market for a low-cost, minimal profit product even with a premier manufacturer on-board.
Specific numbers, and specific production capacity per day/week/whatever. Also note, it's not necessarily the Foundation figures which are commercial secrets, but those of the distributors, since you can deduce fairly accurately the sales per distributor from the overall sales. So it's not just the Foundation 'secret', but other commercial entities as well. Eben may well be constrained in what he can say by agreement/contracts with other people.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

fanoush

Mon May 16, 2016 6:41 pm

Pithagoros wrote:
fanoush wrote:
My question was partly a joke because I am very happy things are improving with Zero but it was also serious question. Are we back to geting Zero stock every two weeks only like it was before or can we expect some significant improvement until the demand is met?

And btw I was talking about the $5 Zero board item, not 'kits'. The only kits that would make me happy are '3 Zeroes in a kit' or 'sixpack of Zero kit' :-)

stderr

Mon May 16, 2016 6:55 pm

jamesh wrote: it's not necessarily the Foundation figures which are commercial secrets, but those of the distributors, since you can deduce fairly accurately the sales per distributor from the overall sales. So it's not just the Foundation 'secret', but other commercial entities as well. Eben may well be constrained in what he can say by agreement/contracts with other people.
I do wish that when it was stated that there were commercial reasons for not being more forthcoming, that this bit could also be included as I suspect that it rightfully plays better in Peoria than a charity talking about not talking just because of its commercial needs.

That said, you do realise that there will need to be millions of these devices made before this stampede ceases to be the new "I updated my pi and now it doesn't work, 64 gig should be plenty of space on the card" question.

Heater

Mon May 16, 2016 10:25 pm

stderr,
I do wish that when it was stated that there were commercial reasons for not being more forthcoming, that this bit could also be included as I suspect that it rightfully plays better in Peoria than a charity talking about not talking just because of its commercial needs.
Try as I might I cannot make any sense out of that statement.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

Douglas6

Mon May 16, 2016 10:36 pm

I took it to be a wish that more people realized that Raspberry Pi Trading is a business, and does not exist for their own personal (or public) benefit.

osid

Mon May 16, 2016 10:39 pm

Pithagoros wrote:[
Actually it's not possibile to buy more than 1 Pi Zero per order, so it's not worth the buy.
IMHO it's the best option: under the weight limit of a 10 GBP international courier shipment, it can be stuffed 3-5 Pi Zero, with a low average shipping cost of every member of the "buy team".

tweak42

Mon May 16, 2016 10:52 pm

I might be persuaded to buy a zero bundle if one of the vendors offered one with Pi cameras and the zero ribbon cable. Makes sense to pair them with the new Sony camera since with the addition of the zero camera connector, and shipping cost would be the near identical.

mthomason

Tue May 17, 2016 12:31 am

osid wrote:
Pithagoros wrote:[
Actually it's not possibile to buy more than 1 Pi Zero per order, so it's not worth the buy.
IMHO it's the best option: under the weight limit of a 10 GBP international courier shipment, it can be stuffed 3-5 Pi Zero, with a low average shipping cost of every member of the "buy team".
Of course the best long-term solution would appear to be for more distributors in other countries to step up and approach the Foundation to resell locally, and have a few thousand units at a time shipped out at once ;) Maybe even a user group large enough to pool their resources and start their own company to do it?

Gavinmc42

Tue May 17, 2016 1:36 am

Shipping costs are less of an issue when you buy a bundle.
I just wish the bundle was a 6pack of Zero's.

I see no point yet of me buying a single Zero yet to pay lots of $$$ to ship to the other side of the world.
Still have a bunch of A, B, A+, B+, 2, 3's to play with and learn Linux and software develop on.
Might consider buying a pack of two as that is how I normally add to my collection.

Once the demand has slowed a bit we might see bunches sold at a time?
And if demand slows Liz and Eben would be dreaming, there is no way demand for the Zero will slow.
$5 PC? that's nearly cheap enough for everyone on the Planet to have one, 7 Billion sold?
I don't want one I want lots, 10 - 20 and that just for personal use.

People start sticking them in equipment, talking 10's of Millions.
100's of Millions? that's a few orders of magnitude above current production.

How to get these to everyone on the planet?
Alternative distribution systems?
Sell them in supermarkets, newsagents, petrol stations.
I could sell them on street corners if I could get any.
"Get your Pi Zero's here, latest hot off the production line"
"Get a free Zero with every carton of xxxx"
A SBC that is about to change the world for $5?
What happens when they are $4, $3, $2, $1.
In 4 years it has gone from $25 to $5
Another 4 years $5 to $1?
8 years $0.20? McDonald's Happy meal with Pi Zero+ 6.1?

Liz, distribution solved, just make more ;)
Increase price to $6?
If I could get them I would pay 6, 7, 8, 9, or even $10.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

stderr

Tue May 17, 2016 3:12 am

Heater wrote:stderr,
Try as I might I cannot make any sense out of that statement.
I'm not sure what you're troubled by but I'll restate as: It will go over better if you tell the people that the commercial reasons aren't the charity's but those of purely commercial operations.

Mandrewpi

Tue May 17, 2016 4:38 am

The pi hut shipping is only like 8 bucks. To Alabama US
A computer is only as smart as its programmer. ;)

I own:
Pi B rev.2, Pi 2 B, Two Pi 3 B, Two Pi 3 b+, Pi 4 2Gb, Pi Zero 1.2, Pi Zero 1.3, Two Pi Zero Ws.
I'm known elsewhere as mandrew1444

Pithagoros

Tue May 17, 2016 7:21 am

osid wrote: Actually it's not possibile to buy more than 1 Pi Zero per order, so it's not worth the buy.
The Pi would cost €11.50 instead of €8.50. Some did go ahead and do this, so they obviously felt it was worthwhile.
I was able to do it because I already have a collection of Zeros so wasn't in need of any more.
Last edited by Pithagoros on Tue May 17, 2016 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

geoffr

Tue May 17, 2016 7:34 am

Mandrewpi wrote:The pi hut shipping is only like 8 bucks. To Alabama US
I have to admit that it is a little ironic that it seems to be easier to get items shipped to the US or Australia than some parts of continental Europe.
What is also ironic is that the shipping charge from the Pi Hut of GBP 4.00 which is about AUD 8.00 is cheaper than what you generally pay for shipping from Sydney to Melbourne! (That is not to say that The Pi Hut's shipping is cheap, but rather that Auspost suck because they charge so much!)

Pithagoros

Tue May 17, 2016 7:55 am

geoffr wrote: I have to admit that it is a little ironic that it seems to be easier to get items shipped to the US or Australia than some parts of continental Europe.
What is also ironic is that the shipping charge from the Pi Hut of GBP 4.00 which is about AUD 8.00 is cheaper than what you generally pay for shipping from Sydney to Melbourne! (That is not to say that The Pi Hut's shipping is cheap, but rather that Auspost suck because they charge so much!)
Kind of daft really, when you consider that the packages has still got to be shipped by Auspost from where-ever it lands and clears customs in Australia to its final destination. Given the size of Australia, that could be a longer distance than Sydney to Melbourne.

jamesh

Tue May 17, 2016 9:23 am

stderr wrote:
jamesh wrote: it's not necessarily the Foundation figures which are commercial secrets, but those of the distributors, since you can deduce fairly accurately the sales per distributor from the overall sales. So it's not just the Foundation 'secret', but other commercial entities as well. Eben may well be constrained in what he can say by agreement/contracts with other people.

That said, you do realise that there will need to be millions of these devices made before this stampede ceases to be the new "I updated my pi and now it doesn't work, 64 gig should be plenty of space on the card" question.
Not sure why being or not being a charity is relevant here. A charity is still a commercial business, it's just that the profits are reinvested to the charitable aims. They still have employees that need paying, and they still have charitable aims that need to be paid for. This is all commercial stuff. If you are not commercial, you go out of business, whether a charity or not.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

Kratos

Tue May 17, 2016 2:27 pm

It seems to me that whenever a new product comes out, the first thing people do is complain about the price. Truly an awesome add to the board! Now my debate is whether to buy a pi3 or Pi0.

Kratos
I have posted mostly with a Pi 2 running either Ubuntu MATE, or Raspbian.

Return to “General discussion”