EimGhey

Re: A picture from The Pi Hut

Sun May 15, 2016 12:41 am

Oh heck they are not coming out with a new Pi model.. I haven't even yet got mine in the mail... :cry:

asandford

Sun May 15, 2016 12:52 am

Heater wrote: Or perhaps Bach's Toccata and Fugue in d minor organ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipzR9bhei_o

VERY LOUD.
I've heard it played live in a church and it's awesome as is Albinoni's Adagio for Organ and Strings:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XN5BFIHXs_I

W. H. Heydt

Sun May 15, 2016 12:56 am

asandford wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote: So far as I know, that isn't a form factor issue. It's a matter the full-sized HDMI connector needing hand soldering. Same problem as a full-sized USB connector.
It is a form factor issue - cases would no longer fit.
I doubt that fitting third party cases is even a consideration. The RPTs own case got changed because the LEDs on the Pi3B were moved from where the were on previous models. In addition, most of the Pi Zero cases I've seen have no sides, so there wouldn't be an issue anyway.

asandford

Sun May 15, 2016 1:07 am

W. H. Heydt wrote: I doubt that fitting third party cases is even a consideration. The RPTs own case got changed because the LEDs on the Pi3B were moved from where the were on previous models.
I suspect it's very much is a consideration as this model isn't made by rs or e14. The 2 uk stockists have a huge vested interest in making sure the all their peripherals work, and fit (I suspect they might be co-funding).
W. H. Heydt wrote: In addition, most of the Pi Zero cases I've seen have no sides, so there wouldn't be an issue anyway.
EDIT: The Pimori case is so fully enclosed that you can't remove the SD card without disassembly.

W. H. Heydt

Sun May 15, 2016 1:35 am

asandford wrote: EDIT: The Pimori case is so fully enclosed that you can't remove the SD card without disassembly.
That's the kind of "feature" that makes me rule out cases unless I need them to be (relatively) "child proof". Since none of my Pi Zero projects are going to be used by children, I wouldn't buy such a case. (And, since Pimoroni is one of the few Pi Zero retailers, they'd be in a position to make a new case design very quickly, so I still don't see cases as a reason not to use a full-sized HDMI connector.)

JarJarGeek

Sun May 15, 2016 7:37 am

liz wrote:Image

WHAT COULD IT BE?
Well last time I spoke to Jamie he said he'd ordered a new fancy CoffeMaker and we all know how he likes his frappellattemochachino - suppose he didn't realise how big it was though . . .

:lol:
@jarjargeek

syntax-err0r.com

romilly

Sun May 15, 2016 9:06 am

I reckon it's a micro-brewery, run by a Pi.
http://blog.rareschool.com/

JarJarGeek

Sun May 15, 2016 9:17 am

Could be - with 'Zero' alcohol option ????

justaskin :shock:
@jarjargeek

syntax-err0r.com

blaablaaguy

Sun May 15, 2016 9:21 am

Jednorozec wrote:
Heater wrote:Jednorozec,

Thanks. I now have to commit suicide. That song and those images will never leave my mind. And if I stay living my mind will be permanently tormented as to why anyone would make such a video.

Bye everyone.
If you watch all 10 hours of it you'll sustain such severe brain damage that you'll go into a permanent coma. Or perhaps one of the other 10 hour videos.
I hadnt finished reading the title and I fainted. I think im having breathing difficulties.
This signature intentionally left blank.

RichardUK

Sun May 15, 2016 9:43 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:
asandford wrote:
RichardUK wrote:Full size HDMI port?
Already ruled out - the form factor is the same.
So far as I know, that isn't a form factor issue. It's a matter the full-sized HDMI connector needing hand soldering. Same problem as a full-sized USB connector.
That's a shame, did not know the full size one was done by hand.

Then it's either 512 ram, maybe they managed to get a better price this time round that equates to no extra cost. Or some routing like the audio pins so we don't have to mess about with the config. Although that could be annoying for some hats although they will still work. As others have said, the camera being broken out would be cool even if we had to solder it ourself.

Maybe they just made the mounting holes a more standard size? ;)

I'll be watching the Pimiromi video tomorrow morning. I already have two, don't need any more, yet.....

P.s. The zero makes for a great Internet Of Breadboards thingy.....

rpdom

Sun May 15, 2016 9:46 am

RichardUK wrote:Then it's either 512 ram, maybe they managed to get a better price this time round that equates to no extra cost
What's wrong with the 512MB it already has? Wrong colour? ;)

JumpZero

Sun May 15, 2016 9:51 am

I know what it is! I've seen it in dream last night.
It's a wireless zero. I mean no wire at all. No power wire needed. No power supply needed.
It's a superconductivity raspberry pi zero. We just have to run it at a temperature of absolute zero. Btw this is why it's named zero.
As you know with superconductivity electric resistance is null (zero) and a current lauched in a toroid conductor (a zero again) will last forever. This exactly what the new Pi zero is doing. Current is launched at factory in superconductive Pi zero. Pi zero got its power forever.
So we can install it everywhere without the need of any wire. Isn't it fantastic.
We just need to keep it at absolute zero (-273.15°C). Easy.
--
Jmp0

blaablaaguy

Sun May 15, 2016 10:20 am

JumpZero wrote:I know what it is! I've seen it in dream last night.
It's a wireless zero. I mean no wire at all. No power wire needed. No power supply needed.
It's a superconductivity raspberry pi zero. We just have to run it at a temperature of absolute zero. Btw this is why it's named zero.
As you know with superconductivity electric resistance is null (zero) and a current lauched in a toroid conductor (a zero again) will last forever. This exactly what the new Pi zero is doing. Current is launched at factory in superconductive Pi zero. Pi zero got its power forever.
So we can install it everywhere without the need of any wire. Isn't it fantastic.
We just need to keep it at absolute zero (-273.15°C). Easy.
--
Jmp0
A dream? It is a sign from the ancestors! It must be true

rpdom

Sun May 15, 2016 10:50 am

Was there a unicorn in the dream?

davidcoton

Sun May 15, 2016 11:58 am

So, that fifty Pi's with superconducting Unicorn coolers on the pallet ... not bad for £4 each.
Sales might last 50sec if some people are a bit slow.
Signature retired

Cancelor

Sun May 15, 2016 12:18 pm

You know the answer to "what's the new feature" is is already on the forum and in the code ;)

Anyway I'm taking bets as to how long before they sell out!
Can't find the thread you want? Try googling : YourSearchHere site:raspberrypi.org

blaablaaguy

Sun May 15, 2016 12:41 pm

Cancelor wrote:You know the answer to "what's the new feature" is is already on the forum and in the code
Huh???

DirkS

Sun May 15, 2016 12:51 pm

blaablaaguy wrote:
Cancelor wrote:You know the answer to "what's the new feature" is is already on the forum and in the code
Huh???
IIRC 6by9 mentioned a while ago that he had knew what the feature was because he had seen the code changes.
BTW: the new Zero will also have a new Revision ID (I think it's 900093, which BTW means manufacturer, processor and RAM are unchanged)

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun May 15, 2016 1:33 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
asandford wrote:
RichardUK wrote:Full size HDMI port?
Already ruled out - the form factor is the same.
So far as I know, that isn't a form factor issue. It's a matter the full-sized HDMI connector needing hand soldering. Same problem as a full-sized USB connector.
the PI ZERO is produced with just one run of reflow soldering, it does not also use wave soldering, (to keep costs down) that is why all the parts and connectors on a ZERO are surface mount (reflow) soldered. As there are (AFAIK) no reflow compatible full size HDMI connectors then yes, using one would mean the user had to do the soldering, just like the pin-headers,
that doesn't seem a reasonable proposition to me, so the micro HDMI connector will stay.

Any new feature that adds a connector will need to use a connector of the surface mount kind. :mrgreen:

by the way, a welcome new feature would be a single FET to invert the function of the BUSY LED, so that it is actually on when no code has ran, and so acts like a power LED. But NO this isn't the big new feature. Proof, of that is that it doesn't require any software changes.

hippy

Sun May 15, 2016 2:33 pm

Cancelor wrote:You know the answer to "what's the new feature" is is already on the forum and in the code ;)
Go on; make your guess or stake your claim. I don't think anyone will care if you are right or wrong, will be impressed if you are right ( "please show your working out" as they say on all the best exam papers ). If you don't say now, people may not believe you had worked it out before it became public knowledge.
Cancelor wrote:Anyway I'm taking bets as to how long before they sell out!
Depends on how many are in the boxes and how many go on sale individually or bundled with other components, whether the one per person / one per order restriction is lifted.

gregeric

Sun May 15, 2016 2:57 pm

Cancelor wrote:You know the answer to "what's the new feature" is is already on the forum and in the code ;)
I see four additional GPIOs configured, you too?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sun May 15, 2016 4:01 pm

hippy wrote:
Go on; make your guess or stake your claim. I don't think anyone will care if you are right or wrong, will be impressed if you are right ( "please show your working out" as they say on all the best exam papers ). If you don't say now, people may not believe you had worked it out before it became public knowledge.
Cancelor wrote:Anyway I'm taking bets as to how long before they sell out!
Depends on how many are in the boxes and how many go on sale individually or bundled with other components, whether the one per person / one per order restriction is lifted.

Over the last month, I've seen at least one correct prediction.

Will be interesting to see how quickly the 250k manufactured (AIUI) will sell out!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

mung

Sun May 15, 2016 5:30 pm

I don't know if this is fake https://dayton.craigslist.org/ele/5586763817.html

looks like only a 'pp-9' has been added?

EULERPI

Sun May 15, 2016 5:38 pm

Apologies but I'm new to reading the runes on Raspberry Pi hardware but here goes:

The photo from the Pi Hut show three levels of boxes arranged in a pyramid.

There were three people presenting the Pi Hut video that mentions new stocks of Pi Zeros saying they couldn't say what the new feature was.

Eben Upton has talked in an interview on the Pis future about doubling down.

Automated Test Equipment has now been installed for the restart of Pi Zero production.

A new version of Jessie has been released just days before the Pi Zero '2' may go on sale.

Its been six months or so since the Pi Zero was released so IC costs for an existing design may have fallen by 30% or more.

So how about a three core ARM CPU, one GPU combo with facility for two of the CPU cores to be switched off-on-off /suspended by software?.

This might allow the Pi Zero to retain its existing low power applications whilst expanding its attractiveness especially for educational use. Might core and maybe GPU switching already be in the die used by the PI 2 CPU/GPU?.

Or more down to earth the new feature could just be pads for another micro USB connector?.
Last edited by EULERPI on Sun May 15, 2016 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TimG

Sun May 15, 2016 5:41 pm

Look more closely

Return to “General discussion”