cdrobsonjr

recommendations wanted 15-19" good but cheap display for Pi3

Tue May 10, 2016 5:20 pm

I am bugged that we can't have larger displays. 7" is still way too small for serious programming development.
As a 'control panel' or user interface to some app, it's okay. But not for making your Pi 3 an all-in-one PC with
a 15 to 17 inch class display.
I am putting in my wish for a display interface that addresses a much broader selection of
display possibilities than DSI.
I know HDMI is there, but with connectors coming off the board at all points of the compass, it makes
what could be a really compact unit much larger and klutzy looking with all those big connectors and stiff
wires fanning out in every direction.
I was hoping those flat and flexible ribbon connectors that I saw on the Raspberry Pi boards had real promise,
but alas, no. Not enough support - especially when I'm told that Broadcom would have to be persuaded to
write drivers for every different display! If that's true, they might as well have left the connector off altogether.
If anyone has discovered a 15 to 19 inch display, preferably a cheap one that is just the lcd panel itself that
could be built into something of our own design, please let me and others know.
Ideally, I would like to rescue a lcd panel from some defunct laptop or monitor and couple it to the Pi.
There are many Chinese distributors of replacement lcd panels that are relatively inexpensive, compared
to buying a full-fledged HDMI monitor - I would like to take advantage of these. :?:

Thanks for any help
Doug :?:

rpdom

Re: recommendations wanted 15-19" good but cheap display for

Tue May 10, 2016 5:44 pm

You basically already asked this in viewtopic.php?f=108&t=146803 and got an answer.

fruit-uk

Tue May 10, 2016 5:45 pm

There are many 15" or 17" displays available in UK charity shops for around £10, usually VGA or DVI but no problem with an adapter.

blaablaaguy

Tue May 10, 2016 6:08 pm

This signature intentionally left blank.

masa-aud

Wed May 11, 2016 5:35 am

reply to cdrobsonjr on 15-19" display
A solution for you might be with a hand made cable and plug that is not bulky and fully flexible, comfortable.
masa

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed May 11, 2016 6:45 am

cdrobsonjr wrote:I am bugged that we can't have larger displays. 7" is still way too small for serious programming development.
As a 'control panel' or user interface to some app, it's okay. But not for making your Pi 3 an all-in-one PC with
a 15 to 17 inch class display.
I am putting in my wish for a display interface that addresses a much broader selection of
display possibilities than DSI.
I know HDMI is there, but with connectors coming off the board at all points of the compass, it makes
what could be a really compact unit much larger and klutzy looking with all those big connectors and stiff
wires fanning out in every direction.
I was hoping those flat and flexible ribbon connectors that I saw on the Raspberry Pi boards had real promise,
but alas, no. Not enough support - especially when I'm told that Broadcom would have to be persuaded to
write drivers for every different display! If that's true, they might as well have left the connector off altogether.
If anyone has discovered a 15 to 19 inch display, preferably a cheap one that is just the lcd panel itself that
could be built into something of our own design, please let me and others know.
Ideally, I would like to rescue a lcd panel from some defunct laptop or monitor and couple it to the Pi.
There are many Chinese distributors of replacement lcd panels that are relatively inexpensive, compared
to buying a full-fledged HDMI monitor - I would like to take advantage of these. :?:

Thanks for any help
Doug :?:
This is a duplicate request, and as such, locking.
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

Return to “General discussion”