Mitesh

Raspberry pi security camera cost

Sun May 08, 2016 5:24 pm

Hi All,
I was planning to make security surveillance camera system for my home.But i came to knw that each camera module with raspi will cost 100 $ .Whereas in 100 $ local survelliance sytem will setup 6 cameras at my place ... so it seems survelliance is quite costly with raspi...
But is there any way to use one raspi connect it to multiple cameras via wifi nd provide feed to display nd internet? Nd can one raspi transfer feed to another raspi ? Pls help nd shed sme light on this topic both cost wise nd feasibility wise

blaablaaguy

Re: Raspberry pi security camera cost

Sun May 08, 2016 7:22 pm

You can get camera modules for £10 off ebay
This signature intentionally left blank.

asandford

Mon May 09, 2016 12:16 am

Mitesh wrote:Hi All,
I was planning to make security surveillance camera system for my home.But i came to knw that each camera module with raspi will cost 100 $ .Whereas in 100 $ local survelliance sytem will setup 6 cameras at my place ... so it seems survelliance is quite costly with raspi...
But is there any way to use one raspi connect it to multiple cameras via wifi nd provide feed to display nd internet? Nd can one raspi transfer feed to another raspi ? Pls help nd shed sme light on this topic both cost wise nd feasibility wise
I would get a new keyboard first, as yours seems to be faulty.

If you can find "100 $ local survelliance sytem will setup 6 cameras at my place" then use that if "each camera module with raspi will cost 100 $ " - problem solved.

stderr

Mon May 09, 2016 12:44 am

asandford wrote:If you can find "100 $ local survelliance sytem will setup 6 cameras at my place"
Sure, six cameras all set up for just $100, but that's for the install, he forgot about the $59.99 a month for "monitoring".

Mitesh

Mon May 09, 2016 2:37 am

Well what i meant was .. making survelliance system using rasberry pi seems to be very costly ,correct me if i m wrong.
Also i m looking for complete wireless survelliance system using raspi just for my learning.it seems we have to get 1 centralized pi nd adding the no. of pi camera module we want . All this is very costly as honeywell is providing 100 $ security survelliance 6 cameras wireless nd no monitoring charges
Pls help me nd correct me if i m wrong whats cheaper raspberry pi or survelliance system from market

fruit-uk

Mon May 09, 2016 5:44 am

Do you want a ready made system or do you want to learn?
Your post mentions both

Mitesh

Mon May 09, 2016 6:33 am

Yes , I want to learn.

I want to make a security surveillance camera for my office and home so decided to make it by myself .

So was just wondering is that worth !

fruit-uk

Mon May 09, 2016 6:45 am

Only you can decide that.
You can of course do a lot of other things with a Pi based system as well

PiGraham

Mon May 09, 2016 7:05 am

You can get better value from a cheap wired CCTV system than you can do with Rasberry Pi. Generally you will find that there is a cheaper option ready made, and also more expensive ready made systems. You have to choose the price, features and performance that suit you.

I think the cheapest option for Pi is probably Pi 3B + Pi Cam if you want network connection to each camera. If you want Ethernet connection Go for Pi B+ + Pi Cam. Pi Zero is an option with a one or more USB Webcams. You would have to add a hpowred hub and a network adaptor which adds cost.

If you don't mind cables and don't need full motion video from all cameras at once a Pi3B with USB cameras is worth considering. You could multiplex size cameras into one Pi but you might only get 1 frame every few seconds. You could have sull speed video from any one camera at a time. That could work well if combined with sensors (PIR, door contact etc) so that the Pi can switch to the camera where something may be happening and record / stream that view.

Chap DVRs can do all this out of the box, but they will be lower resolution images from wired cameras.

Mitesh

Mon May 09, 2016 8:34 am

I agree with u PiGraham . After researching more i understood. Raspi is a mini computer u cant just use a computer to do one task like watch surroundings. It has to be assigned different other task like weather detection/Bird alarm/Image Mapping etc etc ,Then only we can get Value of money we invest .

Thanks PiGraham

PiGraham

Mon May 09, 2016 8:45 am

Mitesh wrote:I agree with u PiGraham . After researching more i understood. Raspi is a mini computer u cant just use a computer to do one task like watch surroundings. It has to be assigned different other task like weather detection/Bird alarm/Image Mapping etc etc ,Then only we can get Value of money we invest .

Thanks PiGraham
It really depends what features you need and what you compare it to. Compared to IP cameras Pi can be cost competitive. An 8Mpixel IP camera will cost more than a Pi + PiCam. But Pi can't compete on price with cheap DVRs and low resolution composite cameras.

Pilosopong Tasyo

Mon May 09, 2016 10:23 am

Mitesh wrote:...is there any way to use one raspi connect it to multiple cameras via wifi nd provide feed to display nd internet?
Yes, as long as...

Mitesh wrote:...can one raspi transfer feed to another raspi ?
Yes.

Mitesh wrote:Pls help nd shed sme light on this topic both cost wise nd feasibility wise
I have a Pi3B at the shop running 24x7 for more than a month now. Attached to it are two A4Tech PK-910H webcams.

I also have a Pi2B outside the shop with the same model webcam attached to it. (I also plan on adding another Pi3 with two more webcams elsewhere in the building in the near future.)

Both RPis are running MotionEyeOS, are assigned their own IP addresseses, and can be accessed individually. However, I configured the 3B to also capture the stream from the 2B so I only need to access the UI on the 3B in order to see all streams.

Costwise? So far, the Pi setup right now costs a lot less compared to the old 8-channel, analog, wired, lo-res CCTV system we bought less than 3 years ago. I didn't like the idea of running cables all over the place again when I needed additional equipment, and I prefer flexibility and control as far as hardware and software is concerned. Besides, good standalone IP cams are quite expensive. There are cheaper options, though I have no idea how long they last.

So, YMMV.

Screencap (pixelized certain areas) - http://i.imgur.com/sNIGRLb.png
Last edited by Pilosopong Tasyo on Mon May 09, 2016 10:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Give a man a ghoti and he'll eat for a day; teach him how to ghoti and he'll eat for life. Ghoti?! - http://i.imgur.com/mAfBUdi.png
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way - http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Mitesh

Mon May 09, 2016 10:34 am

Thanks Tayso ,
I want to do exactly what u did , Can u provide me some links pls

I have two questions

1) How do u power your ras pi's
2) How did you connect to USBwebcams to raspi ? , the wires required might be long or did u do it wireless usb webcam

Can u help me pls as i am learning and i am deseperate to do something useful using ras pi

Pilosopong Tasyo

Mon May 09, 2016 11:35 am

Mitesh wrote:Can u provide me some links pls
I edited my previous post to include the link to MotionEyeOS. Using your favorite search site to look for "MotionEyeOS" also works. ;)
Mitesh wrote:1) How do u power your ras pi's
The official power supplies that came with my Pi2B/3B.
Mitesh wrote:2) How did you connect to USBwebcams to raspi ? , the wires required might be long or did u do it wireless usb webcam
The webcam cables are about 1.5 meters long. You can buy USB extension cords if you want to lengthen the distance, although it's generally not advised. You'll risk introducing interference, lost video feed, etc. I'd rather you stick to IP cams and configure MotionEyeOS to capture the video stream via HTTP (assuming the IP cams provide streaming URLs). I don't own an IP cam, so can't verify for you.
Mitesh wrote:Can u help me pls as i am learning and i am deseperate to do something useful using ras pi
The MotionEyeOS project site has complete information: different set-up scenarios, installing, configuring, et al. Lots to learn if you explore the site. :)
Give a man a ghoti and he'll eat for a day; teach him how to ghoti and he'll eat for life. Ghoti?! - http://i.imgur.com/mAfBUdi.png
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way - http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Mitesh

Mon May 09, 2016 11:45 am

So Tasyo ,
The Pi camera still have adapter connected and are IP camera's wirelessly configured with rasp pi using motion OS ?

I know this topic is unnecessarily going too long , but just help me in this are your IP camera wirelessly integrated with rasp pi?

Bootsofescaping

Mon May 09, 2016 11:49 am

Its been mentioned here 2 times already but I will mention it again as its kinda important with security cameras: Resolution. Should your camera footage look like someone painted each frame with water colors, it won't matter you got the security cameras because they are of no use.

Another thing is that lots of pre built camerasystems are riddled with security problems that are impossible for a normal user to fix. Here is an example: a site that indexes those cameras http://www.insecam.org/ Literally thousands of cameras with no security controls that anyone can watch and sometimes even control.

Pilosopong Tasyo

Mon May 09, 2016 12:36 pm

@Mitesh, I don't own an IP cam. I mentioned this in my second reply. What I have are USB webcams. The following illustration explains how mine's currently set up:

Bootsofescaping wrote:Another thing is that lots of pre built camerasystems are riddled with security problems that are impossible for a normal user to fix.
That's why I chose to use the RPi + [dumb] webcams + MotionEyeOS route instead of purchasing a standalone network cam (which already has the software embedded in it). As I mentioned earlier, "...I prefer flexibility and control as far as hardware and software is concerned."

Mitesh

Mon May 09, 2016 3:36 pm

Ok thank u people ! You all are best ...

Gavinmc42

Tue May 10, 2016 2:11 am

I have used versions of Motionpie since Aug 2014 with second hand USB PS3 Eyecams I got for $2 each.
Started with 2, got up to 7 cameras in my system.

Just updated 4 of them to Pikrellcam with 5Mp Pi cameras for high resolution, much more storage need:(
Pikrellcam allows you to set motion detection regions, works well.

The newer version of Motionpie, MotionEyeOS is a bit more network friendly than Pikrellcam.
If you are only doing small area, MotionEye with a cheap VGA webcam will be fine and easy to start with.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

Mitesh

Tue May 10, 2016 3:16 am

Ok thank u gavinmc .. i have just two concerns now

1) i need to provide wired power adapters to ras pi ... is there any way to avoid this wired power supply

2) usb cams will be wired .. is there any way to avoid wires nd fit cameras far way (25 mtrs) from each other

ConradG13

Tue May 10, 2016 4:00 am

Raspberry Pi- $35
Accessories- $25
Camera Board- $30
People who say times instead of multiply shouldn't be around.

Cancelor

Tue May 10, 2016 7:01 am

If cameras are 25m apart then you need a RPi for each camera.
I think it would also be best to give each RPi it's own power supply.
Can't find the thread you want? Try googling : YourSearchHere site:raspberrypi.org

PiGraham

Tue May 10, 2016 7:19 am

Mitesh wrote:Ok thank u gavinmc .. i have just two concerns now

1) i need to provide wired power adapters to ras pi ... is there any way to avoid this wired power supply

2) usb cams will be wired .. is there any way to avoid wires nd fit cameras far way (25 mtrs) from each other
You can use cheap power over Ethernet adaptors to feed power over a wired network connection, but that will still add significant cost per camera (TPLink £14 IIRC). You can also feed power over a composite video coax cable.

You can get active extenders for USB, but I think the limit is something like 5m. of cable. You may be able to chain more than one extender, but again costs mount up. Even then I don't think you can have a chain of 5 hubs on USB (the active extender is basically a single port hub).

For 25+m I think you need either network cameras (Pi or other, cable or WiFi) or composite video.

RaTTuS

Tue May 10, 2016 7:24 am

PI Cam + Model b+ + 8GB Sdcard + PSU
+ ethernet lead
+ outdoor case ?

or model A + wireless usb stick + 8Gb card + PSU
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

Pilosopong Tasyo

Tue May 10, 2016 7:31 am

Pilosopong Tasyo wrote: I don't own an IP cam.
I just realized, an RPi + accessories (case, PS, µSD) + cam module/USB webcam + MotionEyeOS = MEyeOS IP cam :!:

So yeah, I technically *do* have a few [DIY] IP cams, just not the proprietary, off-the-shelf ones. :oops:

Big plus with an MEyeOS IP cam is you can have two or more channels per NVR. Regular IP cams are 1:1.

Return to “General discussion”