Skygod

Re: How did you find out about Rasperry Pi?

Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:04 pm

For me, it was a Google search for \"ARM Powered PC\" and when I saw $25 on page 2 or 3, I had to investigate further and then I was hooked!

abishur

Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:40 pm

I wanted a cheap computer that would be small and able to play video on my TV (I didn\'t want to have to leave my big power hungry computer on all the time and take up all that electricity). In my search I stumbled across the pic of the infamous USB stick prototype, and found this site right before the forum was made!
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:55 pm

Saw the BBC report on the pre-alpha stick at the end of May, sent an email with some early thoughts about how I\'d use a Pi - got a reply.... :-)

Of course the Pi site then was only something similar to to what is the \"About Us\" page today!
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

Lakes

Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:00 pm

The BBC, maybe the Click program?, anyway it was on Tv.

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:13 pm

I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

blue_k

Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:24 pm

I first heard about Raspberry Pi from my brother. After that, I did some research, and got hooked. I see Ras Pi as being a good development platform.

Montekuri

Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:31 pm

I am using Geexbox, a nice Linux Media Center.

Someday I saw a topic about Raspberry Pi on the Geexbox forum and got very interested to use it as a very compact media center.
And, reading the ideas on the R-Pi forum, I got other good uses to the device. Like cheap computer to teach basic computer class (Word processing and internet navigation) to very poor people in my country.

Jessie

Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:27 am

HardOCP and Tom\'s Hardware.

Robert_M

Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:59 am

I saw a Wall St. Journal re-broadcast of a BBC report, and then did a Google search on the company name:

http://online.wsj.com/video/the-25-comp ... mpvidcar_1

Five minutes later, I\'m signed up on the mailing list and the forum.
I sometimes ride my Pi to the Forum.

mengel

Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:27 am

SLASHDOT !! (chortles maniacally) This was back at the usb prototype stage. Been following ever since and waiting. See, /. is not all ranting and uninformed drivel, it does have \"some\" real news.-mike

Coburn

Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:48 am

Twitter. One of my followers tweeted it to me and basically, I was a fish caught on bait.

Point3Forever

Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:07 am

I saw it first on Hack a day:
http://hackaday.com/2011/05/06/miniatur ... big-punch/

I checked back again in mid-September, and have been checking everyday since :)

Bikko

Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:53 am

Saw it on BBC news or possibly click

peregrino

Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:59 am

I can\'t remember how did I get there, but this was my first approach to the raspberrypi back in early may:

http://www.geek.com/articles/games/game ... 5-2011055/

Afterwards I sent that link to group we have with some friends and we were all afraid it was just Vaporware. Gladly, it turned out to be quite the real thing, though not in the USB-Stick form factor ;)

Chris

Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:47 am

[quote]Quote from abishur on November 24, 2011, 19:40
I wanted a cheap computer that would be small and able to play video on my TV (I didn\'t want to have to leave my big power hungry computer on all the time and take up all that electricity). In my search I stumbled across the pic of the infamous USB stick prototype, and found this site right before the forum was made![/quote]

Similar scenario, I heard word of it on a blog through something like linuxtoday. This was back in about June time, I could not find a site so I emailed Eben I think it was to get put on the mailing list.

Edit: Just found the email, 7th May

Desmon

Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:51 am

read an article about a sweedish (hope i wrote it right) usb-stick-computer, mentioned something like \"there is also another project for around 20 $\"....I HAD TO INVESTiGATe:)

Davespice
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:07 am

Funny story actually... a work colleague of mine brought in a book called Spectrum Machine Language For the Absolute Beginner. We were playing around with a spectrum emulator trying to get frogger working. Anyway - this was the day after the Newsnight show which featured the Raspberry Pi - we all watched it on Iplayer because it was kind of relevant to what we were doing. Anyway and I just thought to myself - this is the BBC of the modern times. I must have one!

bananasdoom

Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:13 am

I found it through a Slashdot article http://goo.gl/nscTU the one that stated that it might not be vaporware

Wooloomooloo

Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:40 am

I read somewhere the recent news about FXI Tech\'s Android-on-a-stick - a few posts down in the comments somebody mentioned RasPi as a counterpoint. You had me hooked at the $25 part, this thing is simply Made Of Win. Fun trivia: when I looked up the Android stick a moment ago for reference on a totally different site found by Google search, it ALSO had a RasPi mention a few posts down in the comments... :))

carlosfm

Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:43 pm

My son told me. :\')
He got me the bug.
Do you Pi?

kkolev

Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:30 pm

The chain went something like this:

Code: Select all

1. Cool, I just got a wifi laser printer. Can print ok from windows. What about Android?
2. PrintBot is good enough, but what about a more generic solution?
2.1. I could print via the VPS I got, but
2.2. I can\'t access the printer from the outside world since I\'m behind a crappy ancient ADSL router and it\'s too much of a hassle to bother the landlord, and later the adsl guys for the modem admin pass.
2.3. Always-on machine to do a reverse ssh tunnel is cool, but both of those are not silent enough for my tastes. Let\'s see what\'s the cheapest solution - I remember complaints about the ShivaPlug and the general hassle of setting up a Dockstar.
3. Hm, plugcomputer.org. Ok, forums. Random topic. Some guy mentioning raspberry pi. What the hell is that.
4. HOLY SHIT

kiaas

Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:07 pm

Someone on the 7chan IRC told me about it when I was mentioning my collection of computers based on different ISAs, such as x86, SPARC, and PPC. I already own an Efika MX, with a faster CPU, but... 35 dollars for an ARM machine? can\'t pass that up.

Return to “General discussion”