lachlans

Happy hacking professional 2 not recognised

Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:23 pm

Hey all I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or not but I plug in my happy hacking professional 2 and it does nothing. I even tried selecting the happy hacking keyboard in raspi-config but it still does nothing. Is there a driver or something I need to install to get raspbian to recognise my happy hacking keyboard?

Jim JKla

Re: Happy hacking professional 2 not recognised

Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:00 pm

If it's not here http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeripherals then it's not verified most hardware that is works plug (switch on) and play. ;)
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

JeremyF

Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:13 pm

lachlans wrote:Hey all I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or not but I plug in my happy hacking professional 2 and it does nothing. I even tried selecting the happy hacking keyboard in raspi-config but it still does nothing. Is there a driver or something I need to install to get raspbian to recognise my happy hacking keyboard?
It has a built in hub (I think it does anyway) so it might try to draw too much current.
{sig} Setup: Original version Raspberry Pi (B, rev1, 256MB), Dell 2001FP monitor (1600x1200), 8GB Class 4 SD Card with Raspbian and XBMC, DD-WRT wireless bridge

Jim JKla

Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:18 pm

If this is the case it may well work if it's connected to an indipendently powered USB Hub
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

lachlans

Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:58 am

The usb ports must be it. In other models you can disable them with a switch. Maybe I should crack it open and try to disconnect them.

Jim JKla

Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:16 am

Or you could bite the bullet and get a powered hub you will proably ned one eventually ;)

Jez

Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:54 pm

lachlans wrote:The usb ports must be it. In other models you can disable them with a switch. Maybe I should crack it open and try to disconnect them.
So, connecting via a USB hub - does that work now?

Ed Raket

Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:12 pm

The "Das keyboard" Model S, allso has a build in hub but according to the wiki that one works...
Let's not jump to "USB power" conclusions to soon, the happy hacking keyboards handle a lot of functions in combination with it's "2cond function" keys... there could allso be a driver/hardware problem here. Are there specific linux drivers for this keyboard?

Jez

Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:10 am

Ed Raket wrote:The "Das keyboard" Model S, allso has a build in hub but according to the wiki that one works...
Let's not jump to "USB power" conclusions to soon, the happy hacking keyboards handle a lot of functions in combination with it's "2cond function" keys... there could allso be a driver/hardware problem here. Are there specific linux drivers for this keyboard?
My understanding is it behaves exactly like a Sun Type-7 Unix Keyboard (there is also a "PC" version, with a slightly different layout).

But yeah, I'd agree that it would be VERY nice to know if this works properly with a USB Hub. Anyone tried it? I notice there setup procedure on the Raspberry Pi does allow you to choose the Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional 2 - though this doesn't really prove anything.

Jez

Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:23 am

My understanding is it behaves exactly like a Sun Type-7 Unix Keyboard (there is also a "PC" version, with a slightly different layout).
Well the Sun Type-7 Unix Keyboard does work - with a couple of reservations.

The CAPS LOCK light doesn't (light that is). The COMPOSE light doesn't work either. The COMPOSE key does work properly, as does CAPS LOCK (only the lights fail). The SCROLL LOCK and NUM LOCK lights work correctly. The USB concealed connector works with a Sun Mouse (this is plugged in directly not via a USB Hub). I've not tried the other USB sockets (I imagine plugging things in there could well catch-up to what the Raspberry Pi can supply, power wise). The Sun "special" keys don't do anything useful.

However it works "well enough". I selected "Sun Type-5/6" from the initial config. Mine is a "Unix" type but I have no reason to suppose a "PC" type would be different. Mine is also "US" layout.

Selecting "Happy Hacking Keyboard" stopped the COMPOSE key from working - so they are a little more different than I'd thought. Unfortunately I don't have access to a Happy Hacking Keyboard to try...

Anyone else got any experience?

Return to “General discussion”