ronbaby

No news is... no news.

Thu May 05, 2016 2:11 am

I saw this "news" story about three weeks ago, when it was first published:

http://betanews.com/2016/04/14/raspberr ... ilability/

Silly me! I actually believed what it said, i.e. (a) that Pi Zeros would be in abundance within a fortnight , and (b) that they would be endowed with some new to-be-announced mystery feature.

Unfortunately now, three weeks later, this "news" story is looking to have about as much actual news value as when Geraldo Rivera busted in to Al Capone's secret vault, i.e. a big nothing burger. As of yesterday, the usual suspect still do not appear to have Zeros in stock or available for unbundled purchase, and google as I might, I can't find a single other reference anywhere on the net which says a single thing about any new Pi zero feature.

So what gives? Where are the Zeros?? And if this (alleged) new mystery feature exists, then what is it and/or when will it be formally announced?

Douglas6

Re: No news is... no news.

Thu May 05, 2016 2:18 am

I'm afraid the answer is 'When the Raspberry Pi Foundation is good and ready'. Just the way it is.

Mandrewpi

Thu May 05, 2016 3:17 am

The other day ordered a pi zero with the supposed new feature. if I can spot it when the zero comes in later this week I'll tell if this batch really has a new feature. I probably won't tell what it is but I'll confirm or deny the rumors.
A computer is only as smart as its programmer. ;)

I own:
Pi B rev.2, Pi 2 B, Two Pi 3 B, Two Pi 3 b+, Pi 4 2Gb, Pi Zero 1.2, Pi Zero 1.3, Two Pi Zero Ws.
I'm known elsewhere as mandrew1444

ronbaby

Thu May 05, 2016 6:19 am

OK, so pray tell, WHERE did you order it?

As I said, the usual suspects don't seem to have any in stock (and I'm beginning to lose hope of ever seeing one in the flesh... um... I mean silicon).

geoffr

Thu May 05, 2016 6:28 am

Mandrewpi wrote:The other day ordered a pi zero with the supposed new feature. if I can spot it when the zero comes in later this week I'll tell if this batch really has a new feature. I probably won't tell what it is but I'll confirm or deny the rumors.
If you are referring to the small batch that the Pi Hut had on the weekend, those did not have the new feature.

That is true however that 3 weeks ago there were supposed to be more Pi zeros available within a fortnight. I'm glad I snagged one of the ones from the Pi Hut on the weekend...

CarlRJ

Thu May 05, 2016 7:13 am

For the initial release, while the supply has been unable to keep up with demand, they've only been going out to a specific handful of retailers, all of whom may be checked in one go by visiting http://whereismypizero.com. The last I heard, at some point last week (from this forum) was, the "two weeks" intention/prediction had slipped and they were now expected (what was then) "next Wednesday", which is the day that just finished, but no confirmed sightings yet. Yes, there was a small batch that one of the companies put up recently, but the story is that that was more like "new old stock", not the highly anticipated new version with the mysterious "much desired new feature" (which is said to have required firmware updates, so it's not just cosmetic, but not added to the cost, so it must be relatively minor; there are guesses but nobody knows for certain what it is, other than the officials, who aren't saying). Others have said that the factory is ramping up to make on the order of a quarter million new Pi Zeros, but we don't know when they'll arrive other than "soon."

Also note that the mods have a predilection for locking threads on this topic once they spiral into ever more wild guesses.

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu May 05, 2016 7:28 am

CarlRJ wrote: Also note that the mods have a predilection for locking threads on this topic once they spiral into ever more wild guesses.
Indeed.
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

Return to “General discussion”