abishur

Re: RaspberryPI keeps crashing

Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:36 pm

I actually had very similar problems when I was overclocking. It would run just fine for a long time and then it would randomly crash. Not every pi can handle the same basic overclocks without loosing some stability. If you remove the overclocking entirely from the config.txt does it still crash?
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

pa3fat

Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:40 pm

Still running.....

Connected power to the USB hub, but did not use the 1 inch USB cable that is already mounted to it. That did not work in previous tries.

But used a new USB/MicroUSB cable and plugged it into the USB HUB.

Will leave it for a while and then disconnect and do it again.
If this works for sure it is a powersupply/adapter related issue.

Will keep you all posted.

pa3fat

Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:22 am

Keeps running in current setup.

Will add HDMI now.

VascoFerraz

Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:28 pm

In my opinion it's a current problem.

The power supply is not able to supply the needed current to the whole board work properly.

HDMI is probably sinking lots of current and 1A might be not enough for you current hardware settings: USB, LAN, HDMI...

However, accordingly to RasPi datasheet, 700mA should be enough to power up the board... Or not :)

Regards.

PS - Make sure you have 3.3V at the output of the voltage regulator.

PS2 . If your AC-DC adaptor is a chinese one... the stated 1000mA might be 100 or 200mA... I had lots of problems with this kind of chinese equipments: I bought one 100W transformer that can't hold a 50W load. Or a 900mA LED driver that is in real a 100mA LED driver...
Vasco Ferraz

pa3fat

Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:43 pm

Powersupply came via RS together with the PI. States 1,2A.

All powered via the USB hub and (just checked) still up.

Not sure if it is absolutely stable. USB also included and did notice a drop. But now on other port of the hub and let's see.

Getting closer.

Will check the indicated voltage at the regulator later.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:00 pm

If your TV is "normal" it would draw only about 50mA from the PI, at most.

All it has to power is a tiny chip (EEPROM) that contains pertinent data about the monitor so that the PI can program its HDMI settings for the TV correctly.

It should certainly not use so much current that the PSU has to struggle to deliver enough current to it.

Jim JKla

Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:10 pm

With the number of RPi's out in the world reaching the half million mark (last unofficial good number 470,000) there has to be some rogue ones. I would start looking into trying to get a return replacement. ;)

If it starts working in the interim without voiding the warranty then good if its still broken its broken. ;)
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

abishur

Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:41 pm

pa3fat wrote:Powersupply came via RS together with the PI. States 1,2A.

All powered via the USB hub and (just checked) still up.

Not sure if it is absolutely stable. USB also included and did notice a drop. But now on other port of the hub and let's see.

Getting closer.

Will check the indicated voltage at the regulator later.
Sorry, I just noticed this, the power supply you got isn't powering the Pi, but the usb hub? What else is drawing power from the hub? Also, is the pi plugged into a single USB port, or are you using a "Y" cable?

pa3fat

Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:00 pm

One slot on the USB Hub is used to power the PI via the regular micro USB slot
The fixed USB cable on the HUB is in one of the slots of the PI
The Keyboard USB dongle is in one of the remaining slots of the USB HUB

Checked again and...... still running

abishur

Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:40 pm

pa3fat wrote:One slot on the USB Hub is used to power the PI via the regular micro USB slot
The fixed USB cable on the HUB is in one of the slots of the PI
The Keyboard USB dongle is in one of the remaining slots of the USB HUB

Checked again and...... still running
As long as it keeps working, I guess don't worry about it, but if you keep having problems it's possible that the single USB port can't supply enough current to the PI. Also, and this is probably a needless warning, keep in mind that as you add things to the HUB you're lowering the available amount of current to the PI. Assuming your keyboard dongle takes ~200 mA that still leaves you with 1A for the pi (which is ample), but that really means you only have 300 mA to spare and anything you connect to the hub that draws more than that current will drop the available current for the pi into possibly unstable levels (though you should gain some mA back since you're not using the built in USB ports to power anything) just stuff to keep in mind ;-)

Loriano

Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:42 pm

I am having the same problem, it keeps crashing (freezing) and only active light is the red one. Running Raspbmc, one USB keyboard connected to one of the USB slots and the HDMI cable connected to the monitor. 2GB SD Card.

So frustrating! :evil:

abishur

Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:02 pm

Loriano wrote:I am having the same problem, it keeps crashing (freezing) and only active light is the red one. Running Raspbmc, one USB keyboard connected to one of the USB slots and the HDMI cable connected to the monitor. 2GB SD Card.

So frustrating! :evil:
1) What's the power rating of your PSU?
2) How many mA does your keyboard draw?
3) Do you have one of the new pi boards that have a 0-ohm resistor at the USB ports (they're black and say 0 or 0000), are you doing any overclocking?
4) Have you checked your card to see if it's compatible with the pi from the list of known bad cards on the Wiki?
5) What are you doing when it crashes?
6) Have you installed anything extra onto the pi or is it just the stock image?

pa3fat

Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:01 pm

Mine is still running.

Powered via USB HUB.
One cable intothe micro USB slot.
Other cable into one of the two USB slot.

Try this to determine if this is all related to powersupply issue. My issue for use was.

Loriano

Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:04 pm

Hi,

I have two, one says Max. 0.1A Output: DC 5.2 580mA and the other one says Output: DC5.0V + - 5% MAX: 1000mA MiIN: 150mA and it crashes with both.

2) How many mA does your keyboard draw?
5V 100mA

3) Do you have one of the new pi boards that have a 0-ohm resistor at the USB ports (they're black and say 0 or 0000), are you doing any overclocking?

Is that under the USB port (on the other side, small and black, it says 0)?
No overclocking.

4) Have you checked your card to see if it's compatible with the pi from the list of known bad cards on the Wiki?

Yes they are compatible.

It loads Raspbmc and if I select any of the options (Weather, Videos, Pictures etc...) it freezes, only red LED on. No response from keyboard.

6) Have you installed anything extra onto the pi or is it just the stock image?

No.

Thanks! ;)

Loriano

Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:05 pm

Any suggestions on self powered USB hub or will anyone do?

abishur

Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:54 pm

Loriano wrote:Hi,

I have two, one says Max. 0.1A Output: DC 5.2 580mA and the other one says Output: DC5.0V + - 5% MAX: 1000mA MiIN: 150mA and it crashes with both.

It loads Raspbmc and if I select any of the options (Weather, Videos, Pictures etc...) it freezes, only red LED on. No response from keyboard.

Hmm, the 580mA may have stability issues, but the 1A should be enough. Everything else sounds fine though, my off the cuff thought is to try formatting the card and re-installing it. Can you still ping the pi when it freezes? I'd also check around on their forums and see if there have been any issues with any of the recent firmware updates. If XBMC is what you're looking for, you might also try one of the Raspbian flavors to see if that doesn't help. Also are there any issues with running it outside of XBMC?
Loriano wrote:Any suggestions on self powered USB hub or will anyone do?
Since you have the 0-ohm resistors instead of the 140mA fuses you could theoretically power a hub from your pi, the only thing to keep in mind is that you would need a bigger PSU to meet the increased demands from the usb ports

darkside40

Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:02 pm

I still had the problem that my Pi crashed when i did my first experiments with it at the weekend using Raspbmc.

Unfortunately i havent got any time to look at it further, so til now i dont know if it was the power supply (using that one which came with my iPad 1), the Wifi Adapter (a Logilink Wireless LAN USB 2.0 Nano Adapter 802.11n) which is stated working in the Wiki, overheating (sitting in an Adafruit Style plastic case without vents) or a little bit of everything.
I have the Rev.1+ of the board, without the polyfuses for the USB- Port (got the black 0000 bridges there).

Does the Pi has any Temp sensors on board which i could read out?

pa3fat

Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:30 pm

Not sure but if i remember correctly XBMC is not showing any temperature reading in the systems overview. So i doubt if there is any sensor available.

My PI is now up and running powered via 4 port USB hub.
1 port feeds the PI via the regular micro usb entry
1 port holds the keyboard/mouse dongle and is connected to the PI via one of the two usb ports.

Up and running for 4+ days

HDMI currently not connected as my daughter watches movies via the Popcorn media player.

But in previous tests this did not change the uptime.

So it seems all will be related to the power supply used.

Tried different types of power supplies (iphone, Samsung phone charger) etc etc.

Current setup is giving best results so far.

Need to see if i can do the same with USB car charger and use it in my car for some days and see if it keeps running. Lacking wifi dongle so that would imply that there will not be any internet connection avaialble. As the initial library refresh is giving a high load (power) this might give a different result !

Hope this helps you determine the issues you have.

Licaon_Kter

Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:51 pm

pa3fat wrote:Not sure but if i remember correctly XBMC is not showing any temperature reading in the systems overview. So i doubt if there is any sensor available.
there is a temperature sensor and you can query it but there is no hwmon driver that Xbmc can read, not yet that is, soon: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 26#p169726
BFQ+BFS or RT on a RPi? 4'real: https://github.com/licaon-kter/ (source and compiled!)

darkside40

Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:55 am

I dont think there is a point on the PCB to measure the actual current the Pi needs, or?

Than i will have to "Mod" an old USB Cable.

Licaon_Kter

Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:20 am

BFQ+BFS or RT on a RPi? 4'real: https://github.com/licaon-kter/ (source and compiled!)

mjh75

Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:14 pm

I get a similar experience with the Pi rebooting periodically. My set up automatically detects and responds to the TV remote (Philips smart TV) and I wonder if that could be drawing power via the HDMI cable? Either my Pi seems to run for a few minutes then the screen goes black and it reboots with run level S. Have you tried it with another monitor / tv?

dliloch

Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:17 pm

hello,
I have the 512mb pi...I am using the arm384.elf file with the 9-18 raspian image.when I'm copying a large directory I notice that the cpu is booked.. I am overclocked at 800mhz no overvolt... on an ssh session I notice all the memory is consumed but I am showing 64% wait... which I would expect
with i/o bound work.
On my xsession the cpu monitor in the task bar is completely green..
1) is the cpu monitor in the task bar broken?
2) is there some sort of memory leak with filemanager copy -- because it locks the system? evenetually ..
3) I just copied the 384.elf file to start.elf .. where there other files I should have copied?? At this point it would be nice to have a stable system refresh that works on both types of boards .. I have 3 now..
-don

dliloch

Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:46 pm

since many of the "software" problems on the pi seem to be power related I wonder if the
machine itself can detect marginal PSUs and issue a warning message ?

dliloch

Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:39 pm

I just wanted to say that they made a firmware update today :
it is #250 and it solved my crashing problems and made my
overclocking stable at 1ghz!
the other thing it did was get rid of all the .elf files in the boot directory.
now it will size dynamically via config.txt .
just amazing stuff...

Return to “General discussion”