pa3fat

RaspberryPI keeps crashing

Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:47 pm

Hi,

Have issues keeping RaspberryPI from crashing.

Trying to run XBMC which itself runs ok. But after a point in time the PI crashes.

Tried several powersources. RS powersupply 1.2A. Iphone 220V/USB charger. New USB cable.
Powering via USB hub.

Any tips on what i could check to resolve this.

Could it be heat related?

Or is it just a mailfunctioning PI?

Thanks in advance.

redhawk

Re: RaspberryPI keeps crashing

Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:52 pm

The PI was never designed to run XBMC the fact that it can is something of a miracle.
Stability is still an issue for XBMC I also experience the occasional crash / hang most of which can be fixed by logging into the PI vis ssh and then force a restart by terminating the process xbmc.bin.

Richard S.

pa3fat

Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:55 pm

With crash i mean: all lights go out except the red Led.

There is no user interface at that point in time. It is completely down.
Only workaround at this point is to re-power.

redhawk

Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:02 pm

If you have a voltmeter could you check the output voltage between TP1 and TP2 on the board.
Also check the voltage across the polyfuse F3 (underside near the SD card slot) what readings as you getting.

Richard S.

pa3fat

Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:16 pm

Over F3 the voltage ranges between 155-167 mVolt

XMB running:

In idle the TP1-TP2 voltage is 4.67.

When moving the mouse (my daughter did it for me) the TP1-TP2 voltage is 4.55 Volt.

redhawk

Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:24 pm

4.55v is quite low for running the PI it may well explain why you're experiencing problems.

What is the current rating for the keyboard and mouse??

Do you have any other USB devices connected??

If you run the PI without any USB devices attached what voltage readings are you getting at TP1/TP2??

Richard S.

pa3fat

Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:36 pm

Previous values via USB hub.

So both powering the PI and the USB keyboard/mouse stick.

Now changed:
Powersupply supplied by RS when received the PI

TP1-TP2 4.89
Fuse: 155mVolt

Still PI crashed when trying to alter settings in XBMC

redhawk

Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:49 pm

Which distro builds of XBMC are you using??

I'm using OpenELEC on my PI it's fairly stable most of the time but can hang just as much as Raspbnc.
I get my builds from http://sparky0815.de/openelec-download- ... fat-files/ perhaps this may work better for you.

Richard S.

pa3fat

Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:01 pm

Running Raspbmc rc4.

JoeDaStudd

Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:27 pm

USB keyboard/mouse stick?

The only trouble I've had with XMBC has been when I attached a wifi adapter, it would crash out like you described (black screen, no response only option to cycle the power).
Switching to a iPhone (1st Gen) charger solved the issue for me.

If the USB keyboard/mouse stick is wireless, I would try using just a wired keyboard (no mouse) and see if it still crashes.

pa3fat

Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:37 pm

ok will give wired mouse/keyboard a try.

pa3fat

Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:51 pm

First test without any USB devices connected. Same result. XBMC crashes. In this case while updating the library with new to be added content.

pa3fat

Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:05 pm

PI powered single via 4 port usb hub. Crashed.

No other USB devices. Only network for SMB access to NAS.

Alfadaz

Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:26 pm

I have been running Raspbmc since RC2 without many issues with freezing/locking up. I don't recall any at all while using RC3/RC4, although i haven't been using it for long periods in the last few weeks. (more than 1-2hrs at a time)

I am using a wireless keyboard/mouse combo (logitech Delux 660) and a nano wifi adapter. Power is coming from a 5V 1A charger from my iPhone (see pic) and an old Nokia phone cable for the USB>Micro USB connection. Apart from the odd 'sticky keys', i don't have any problems.
(I only use the keyboard/mouse for the initial setup, after that i use the XBMC remote app on my iPhone)

Daz

pa3fat

Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:49 pm

Also tried the Iphone 220v/USB charger as powersupply.
Same result.

Only thing i can shutdown now is the ethernet connection......

But that will probably leave the Raspbmc setup in almost idle mode. But will do this now to see if time still forces a crash.

pa3fat

Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:35 pm

Without network connection things seem to keep running.

Now connected network again and disabled HDMI. Let's see if the TV is pulling energy.

pa3fat

Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:08 am

Running for 14.5 hours with only ethernet connection.
No HDMI and USB.
(monitored processes via ssh)

Connected HDMI, rebooted and it crashes within minutes.
(XBMC auto library update on startup is active)

HDMI cable has been in use for years with Popcornhour media player without issues. Assume the cable is not the issue here

Any ideas what is causing this?

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:48 am

IMHO it could only mean one of two things,

One is that for some reason the monitor is drawing so much current through the 5V HDMI output pin that your PSU is overloaded. Normally it should only draw power for the EEPROM in your monitor that contains monitor parameters, and this uses less than 50mA.

The second reason could be that the HDMI port is generally the only connection through which the PI is connected to earth (as the TV should be grounded, and the GND wires of the monitor are connected to GND in the TV, so that the whole PI is grounded once the PI is connected to HDMI.

But if, for example your power supply leaks mains voltage to the low voltage connection, it could then result in all kinds of currents flowing through the PI resulting in voltages that disturb the normal working of the electronics.

Its also possible that a second ground connection exists somehow, and that might cause "ground loops" causing similar problems.

pa3fat

Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:27 pm

Tried Video via RCA, but crashes quickly.

Back to setup with only ethernet active. Let's see if previous good results are back.
That would point all to the TV (Philips 8404).

louisb

Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:43 pm

This is driving me nuts as XBMC keeps crashing for me as well. I have come to the conclusion that this is due to the heat, as it has been crashing regularly in the very hot weather we have been having in the UK recently.

I am also using raspmc R4 and have just noticed that it has been over clocked to 800 MHz. I have just removed that to see if it makes any difference, you could try that and well.

I feel that you and me are one of the unlucky ones that have a pi that needs to run at a reduced speed of 700MHz. I found that my pi is extremely sensitive to the power supply and I thought had found the answer by powering the pi from the USB port on the TV (try powering the PI from a USB port on a laptop or PC also works). But during the hot weather that no longer works and it keeps crashing again. It does not work with my Nexus 7 2A power supply either.

I have found this thread http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 29&t=14489 "Fixing 1.8V power rail design error" which is a very interesting read and supports my over heating theory.

I suppose I could consider sticking various heat sinks on the pi.

I am also considering sending the pi back for warranty repair and hope they send me a new one that is not prone to crashing.

I have not measured the voltage on my pi yet.

Louis

pa3fat

Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:03 pm

Tried to return to the best working setup. With no success.
The PI keeps crashing.

Think need to ask RMA at RS.

Any link to the config where i could downgrade the overclocking?

pa3fat

Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:31 pm

Is there anybody on this forum near me?
My location: Valkenswaard - The Netherlands

So we could exchange power supplies/PI's/SD cards and determine what is causing these crashes??

dcosmin

Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:04 pm

perhaps overvolting would add to the stability. But this voids the guarantee of course. I would have the same symptoms when I set the arm to 850 mhz- loading ok linux and completely freezing in xbmc. overvolting solved the problem. the voltage across tp1 -2 is also quite low (aprox 4.55v with network and hdmi attached) for me using a an asus android tablet charger rated at 2A.

pa3fat

Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:14 pm

Overvolting is not that easy also.
Currently using RS supplied adapter rated at 5V/1,2A. Have a usb hub but using it isn't making a difference.
Tried iphone charger with new USB cable as well.

Always same result.

Best result was 12+ hours with only network connected. Can't manage to get same result with identical setup as before. So that makes me wonder what is the real issue here.

Bridging the powerfuse might be last resort to at least get more steam on the chips.

Or RMA. But RS has never responded to my emails stating my issues. So not that confident this will lead to anything good.

ITz Life NL

Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:53 pm

have you got a class 4 sd card with 4gb of capacity is it 2nd gen and i had problems with xbmc when its plugged in i get kernel panic so i just use mouse and do you use hdmi or vga and have you tried flashing the drive and using the installer ill find link if you gimmie a moment and just mkae sure your not over volting or amping or undervolting

Return to “General discussion”