Scott Fleming

Official 7inch LCD display

Wed May 04, 2016 5:17 pm

Been having a nightmare getting hold of one of these. They seem to be almost permanently out of stock at all the usual retailers. My question is, is it because they can't keep up with demand or is there a fundamental supply issue? Confused....

Pithagoros

Re: Official 7inch LCD display

Wed May 04, 2016 5:28 pm

I don't know where in the world you are, but in the UK Pimoroni have some. ModMyPi have 101 in stock (that one hundred and one, not 5). In the USA Adafruit have 79 at the time I write this.

I would be surprised if the screens were hard to source, they are only an adapted LCD picture frame. I'm not sure who makes the adapter board though.

ghans

Wed May 04, 2016 5:51 pm

The adaptor board is the point of the official display -
all other bare panels simply won't and don't work on the
Pis DSI port (or "through the GPIO" , btw) even if they are
better , bigger and badder than the rest.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

CaptSunset

Wed May 04, 2016 6:03 pm

There seem to be some issues that have caused returns, in the US at least.
One is the 'Poltergeist' effect of the screen relighting itself after software shutdown.
(The FTS Troubleshooting FAQ merely says "this is normal. Don't Panic!"
However, it is problematic for those running automated operations on battery.)

Other problems might be due to conflicting Youtube connection info.
Also, as simply upgrading Wheezy doesn't get you to the necessary Jessie, some people quickly decided their screens were defective.
Many don't want to chance frying the relatively costly FTS (relative to the Pi) and immediately tried for an RMA from the distributor.

For a distributor, returns & customer irritation can be very costly. Just the return shipping will eat any profit on small orders. A distributor has little time for testing, and will quickly conclude they 'got a bad batch'.

The FTS packaging is very well designed, even lavish; perhaps a simple 'Quick Setup Guide' page should have been included.

Pithagoros

Wed May 04, 2016 6:32 pm

ghans wrote:The adaptor board is the point of the official display -
all other bare panels simply won't and don't work on the
Pis DSI port (or "through the GPIO" , btw) even if they are
better , bigger and badder than the rest.

ghans
Quite. The cost of the display must be in all the development that went into that adapter board. I'm just not sure if it is another Sony Pencoed assembly and is another victim of having to make way for RPi 3 production.

Return to “General discussion”