vinntec

RPi advertised by Maplin...

Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:43 am

My wife was in the local Maplin store trying to find a cable I needed for the RPi, and they mentioned that they were going to be selling them soon, which was a surprise to her. Well I had a look on their website http://www.maplin.co.uk/raspberry-piand ... kit-652805 and sure enough...

Could someone explain to me how Maplin (UK) can be advertising that they will have RPi in stock for new orders from end of September when my order from RS is not even due until 1st October at the earliest?

Can someone also explain to me why Farnell are being sent more than they need while RS remain backlogged, in other words why RS aren't getting any kind of priority to kill the backlog? It is really annoying that a teacher read my write-up (made about RPi bought on Internet while I wait for my "real" one) and has already received their one from Farnell.

I don't expect anyone from RPi to comment about my individual case, that would be unreasonable, but this doesn't sound like first come first served?

Peter

jackokring

Re: RPi advertised by Maplin...

Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:10 pm

Because last I check RS sold 1 month of pre-ordered in stock in 3 days (or very close to this).
Pi[NFA]=B256R0USB CL4SD8GB Raspbian Stock.
Pi[Work]=A+256 CL4SD8GB Raspbian Stock.
My favourite constant 1.65056745028

JeremyF

Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:34 pm

Regarding Maplin, it looks they are resellers, not official distributors. (That product is equivalent to an eBay bundle or a ModMyPi bundle, in terms of how the Pi got there)
{sig} Setup: Original version Raspberry Pi (B, rev1, 256MB), Dell 2001FP monitor (1600x1200), 8GB Class 4 SD Card with Raspbian and XBMC, DD-WRT wireless bridge

Jim JKla

Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:43 pm

vinntec wrote:Can someone also explain to me why Farnell are being sent more than they need while RS remain backlogged, in other words why RS aren't getting any kind of priority to kill the backlog? It is really annoying that a teacher read my write-up (made about RPi bought on Internet while I wait for my "real" one) and has already received their one from Farnell.
That has to be an issue between RS and Farnell and you should be directing your questioning to RS they are loosing market share to Farnell because folks are canceling RS orders and placing them with Farnell.

Anyone here is just an observer.
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

RaTTuS

Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:45 pm

I don't think Farnell are being sent more than they need ,
as both RS and Farnell have their own production lines and make them as they seem fit.
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

vinntec

Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:03 pm

RaTTuS wrote:I don't think Farnell are being sent more than they need ,
as both RS and Farnell have their own production lines and make them as they seem fit.
Ah - that's something I was not aware of. I assumed there was one set of production lines feeding everyone. So basically, unless RS arrange for Farnell to send them some of their production capacity temporarily, this is how the two have got out of step. This suddenly makes a lot of sense.Peter

woopderson

Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:10 pm

RaTTuS wrote:I don't think Farnell are being sent more than they need ,
I was unaware of this, but it definitely sheds some light as to why delivery times are what they are. Thanks RaTTuS!

arm2

Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:07 pm

It was stated I believe that RS & Farnell would both get equal amounts of the production but that I think only applied to the initial 10,000 that the Foundation had ordered. People then assumed that that situation would continue. Since then it has been stated that each are arranging their own production. Any agreement between them would probably breach competition laws!
What I'm interested in is that I've yet to see a posting regarding the different prices RS & Farnell are quoting! Figuers from both companies web site this evening. (I do have a trade account with both so that might effect things)
RS "back order for despatch 14/12/2012" £21.60+VAT
Farnell "within three weeks" 1 - 9 £24.96+VAT
10 - 24 £23.98
25 - 49 £23.32
50 - 99 £23.10
100+ £23.05
All prices are ex VAT (Both Farnell and RS postage seems to be free)
So the choice for most people is
RS, wait nearly four months and pay £21.60+VAT or
Farnell <3 weeks £24.96+VAT

Jim JKla

Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:14 pm

I can't help but wonder if RS & Farnell are keeping tabs on conversations here.

I would think it would be worth their while to have at laeast some staff member with an interest in the RaspberryPi (There must be at least one at each) to keep there nose in the forum.

I would suspect they have no idea of the turnover on this forum :D
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

Paul Webster

Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:11 pm

My recollection (which could be faulty) is that RS started taking bulk orders before Farnell ... which, if correct, might have exhausted their stock faster and they might still have a substantial back-order ... perhaps Maplins ordered hundreds or even thousands from them.

Jim JKla

Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:21 am

Could be if thats true they could be building that order at the expense of the developer community. :shock: ;)

Burngate

Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:07 am

I wonder when people such as http://www.cjemicros.co.uk/ will start selling Pi starter kits. I'm sure they keep an eye on this forum.
I'm waiting for their RTC add-on

itimpi

Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:38 pm

Paul Webster wrote:My recollection (which could be faulty) is that RS started taking bulk orders before Farnell ... which, if correct, might have exhausted their stock faster and they might still have a substantial back-order ... perhaps Maplins ordered hundreds or even thousands from them.
Actually I am reasonably certain it was the other way around!

woopderson

Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:41 pm

Jim JKla wrote:I can't help but wonder if RS & Farnell are keeping tabs on conversations here.

I would think it would be worth their while to have at laeast some staff member with an interest in the RaspberryPi (There must be at least one at each) to keep there nose in the forum.

I would suspect they have no idea of the turnover on this forum :D
Agreed, it would be nice to have an active rep from each of the companies in the forums to provide at least a smidge of info.

itimpi

Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:44 pm

arm2 wrote:It All prices are ex VAT (Both Farnell and RS postage seems to be free)
The RS prices do not include postage, while the Farnell ones do!

For single units this make Farnell about £1 cheaper than RS (at least in the UK), although RS do use far more robust packing.

For bulk orders I am not sure how prices compare.

Jim JKla

Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:03 pm

I bought a single from RS was not unhappy with deivery packaging or time but I was in the first wave.

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:20 pm

itimpi wrote: For single units this make Farnell about £1 cheaper than RS (at least in the UK), although RS do use far more robust packing.

For bulk orders I am not sure how prices compare.
In the UK RS are cheaper for multiple unit orders because their postage is a flat rate and while farnell are now giving some bulk discounts (they weren't initially) those bulk discounts are not enough to bring down the total to RS levels. Also i'm not sure RS are charging postage at all for buisness customers.

So for 100 pis in the UK

Farnell 100x23.05x1.2 = £2766
RS (100x21.60x1.2) + 4.95 = £2,596.95

For other countries costs may vary.

Return to “General discussion”