VisualPi

Which is better Raspberry Pi 3 or Intel Edison Kit?

Tue May 03, 2016 4:35 pm

Both have wifi. Which one do you recommend intel edison or raspberry pi 3?

lpsw

Re: Which is better Raspberry Pi 3 or Intel Edison Kit?

Tue May 03, 2016 4:43 pm

I recommend the Raspberry Pi :lol:
Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is - Isaac Asimov

PiGraham

Tue May 03, 2016 5:21 pm

What do you want to do with it?

Edison has 5GHz WiFi
Edison is lower power.
RPi has better community support and is a viable desktop computer.
RPi is cheaper and more fruity.

solar3000

Tue May 03, 2016 5:24 pm

An excellent question. And in the appropriate forum too.
Which is better a watermelon or a pair of shoes?
They are two very different platforms.

If you don't know, then go with the raspberry pi and have someone else install it.
Antikythera

Cancelor

Tue May 03, 2016 6:14 pm

solar3000 wrote:An excellent question. And in the appropriate forum too.
Which is better a watermelon or a pair of shoes?
They are two very different platforms.

If you don't know, then go with the raspberry pi and have someone else install it.
platform shoes?
Can't find the thread you want? Try googling : YourSearchHere site:raspberrypi.org

MarkHaysHarris777

Tue May 03, 2016 6:31 pm

VisualPi wrote:Both have wifi. Which one do you recommend intel edison or raspberry pi 3?
In order of sophistication and project difficulty 1 low 3 high
(1) arduino
(2) RPi
(3) Edison

That said, the Edison is fabulous, truly fabulous! ... and that can not be over-stated. I own two Edisons and I own a plethora of RPi. The edison is small and finiky... its not forgiving, and while it does have a good community it does not have the longevity nor experience of the RPi community. If you have done nothing with either start with the Raspberry PI.

The edison works off of 1.8 volts. Many folks find the RPi voltage constraint of 3v3 a PITA... edison makes that magnitudes of order more difficult. The edison is pricey, um, expensive. It needs to have a breakout board (you have several to chose from) but aside from the Galileo board none of them are easy as, well, PI. Galileo is expensive too... you can buy them together (recommended). There are also entire breakout kits from Sparkfun (must have, in my opinion)--- everything from ADC/DAC to battery (Iot kits) to breadboard breakouts, &c. You can do more with the Edison (this is just a factual statement not meant to antagonize) than you can with Raspberry PI; however, you MUST be more of an engineer to do them! Edison is meant to be an embedded computer (full gnu+linux) whereas the Raspberry PI is intended for the educational market of ideas and particularly with kids. There obviously is overlap.

Making your own boards is easier with the Raspberry PI compute module. You can make your own boards with the Edison too... but hooly cow... the connector requires a microscope to even see it! The entire edison is no larger than a postage stamp (without breakout board), so it can be embedded easily in any thing from a calculator to a cap visor.

The edison is two core; the PI is four core. The edison is an Intel processor; and unlike the Raspberry PI is entirely open source (hardware and software). That gives the Edison an advantage for the maker community... but again, you need to be an engineer to use it... its not designed for kids, and its not a toy; and, it can be destroyed instantly just by looking at it! (kidding)

edit: The Intel Edison has an on-board Quark MCU. When I purchased mine the MCU firmware was not ready, so, ironically the mcu on neither of my edisons works... I'm thinking its about time to get them updated; although, Yocto works in both of them... so, I might just let them run. ;)

Its not an either or. I have both, I love both, and I use each for a completely different purpose. I must say, my edisons have been running for more than a year... one 376 days, the other 384 days... they run cool, and they are solid as the rock of Gibraltar!

:mrgreen:
Last edited by MarkHaysHarris777 on Wed May 04, 2016 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
marcus
:ugeek:

rollingcircle

Tue May 03, 2016 9:39 pm

Press releases over the past couple of days indicate Intel is cancelling further development of Atom processors.

Where does that leave the Atom-based processors used in the Edison?

MarkHaysHarris777

Wed May 04, 2016 3:09 am

rollingcircle wrote:Press releases over the past couple of days indicate Intel is cancelling further development of Atom processors.

Where does that leave the Atom-based processors used in the Edison?
We don't know yet...

... looks like Intel is backing out of the Atom market for phones and tablets... however, have not heard anything on the ongoing commitment to the maker community and the Edison. Time will tell.

I left a couple of questions on the Edison forum tonight; see if we can get the rumor mill cranking...

:roll:

edit: here is a comparison link from Sparkfun Edison vs Raspberry PI
marcus

MarkHaysHarris777

Wed May 04, 2016 1:54 pm

This article from Intel is a good read.

Note the second section. The Atom processor is being phased out, but low-end processors (low power) are not. The idea is that the Atom chips used for low-end phones, notebooks, tablets, &c are being phased out... but, the Intel commitment to IoT and particularly to IoT and the cloud is still very strong; which means, the development prototyping platform for the IoT end of things (the Edison) will still be an on-going effort (probably) regardless whether the Edison continues to use the Atom processor or not. I suspect that the Edison will continue to be produced for IoT; but, we may see a shift to another processor based on the Apollo Lake Platform.

I am speculating (obviously)

:geek:
marcus

Return to “General discussion”