Method

Re: Getting Ready

Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:50 pm

I\'m checking the Pi website 5 times a day now, I\'m feeling a little obsessive. I\'ve just ordered my Pi essentials:

HDMI to DVI Cable
8GB SDHC
USB SD Reader

I\'m thinking about getting a dedicated keyboard and mouse for it, possibly in good/disgusting old beige.

What do you need to get for the arrival of your Pi?

kiaas

Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:00 pm

a faster SDHC Card, both of my 8GB cards can only do 2MB/s writes :(

meltwater

Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:01 pm

Nappies, wet-wipes, lots of towels...oh hang on...

Yep we all have R-Pi-itus.

I\'m trying to resist buying too much, but hope to get:
- Large USB Backup battery
- Wifi/Bluetooth dongle (ideally combined)
- HDMI to DVI converter
- A number of micro SD cards (not sure what size to get yet)
- Wireless mouse/keyboard not sure yet if bluetooth or not, may even try just a keypad instead for compact use.
- Mini-screen (might be 1.5\" mini display if it works - ok I\'ve brought one to try, or may try using alpha-numeric display depending on what works)
- powered mini usb hub

hummm...ok will have to limit my shopping list somewhat!

My new book: goo.gl/dmVtsc

Meltwater's Pi Hardware - pihardware.com

Like the MagPi? @TheMagP1 @TheMagPiTeam

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:06 pm

[quote]Quote from Method on November 24, 2011, 13:50
I\'m checking the Pi website 5 times a day now, I\'m feeling a little obsessive. I\'ve just ordered my Pi essentials:

HDMI to DVI Cable
8GB SDHC
USB SD Reader

I\'m thinking about getting a dedicated keyboard and mouse for it, possibly in good/disgusting old beige.

What do you need to get for the arrival of your Pi? [/quote]

Well, I check more often that that, but only because I feel the desperate need to continually answer \"Where can I get one?\" questions over and over again.

And run though the incoming comments to moderate and mostly delete - there a lot of forum spam out there.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

Davespice
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:07 pm

I think most of the stuff I already have lying around, I might see if I can buy a large SD card though. I plan to VNC onto the RasPi anyway so I can just leave it downstairs connected to the network.

Skygod

Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:53 pm

I was just sitting having a couple of bottles of Chang Beer and considered why this initiative has captured me so much?

The price is obviously a major factor,

I can easily justify 1,000 Baht for a computer and the \'babies\' up country can also afford to buy one, but that doesn\'t strike me as the comple \'raison d\'etre\'.

I do feel that this initiative could open up a serious alternative to Intel / Windows as being the \'natural\' OS selection.

I do not understand why I am so excited about this, \'but I am!\'

I\'ve spent the last few days switching my primary OS from Windows to Fedora and I am now running Windows under a VirtualBox on Fedora 16. (I decided on Fedora as it has the support of Red Hat. I would have preferred Ubuntu (Canonical) with its larger userbase, but as they have stated that the RPi hardware architecture will not be supported in the future it was a \'no go\')

Learning how to do \'stuff\' in a Linux environment has been a bit of a nightmare, but will come with time I\'m sure.

I\'ve got QEMU installed (eventually (arch = armv5tel)), so I have an ARM emulator environment (Still have not got guest / host networking working (more research and experimentation required), so that I can prepare for the hardware (RPi) to arrive).

Once I\'ve got the networking operational, I\'ll build a simple LAMP server to start with and see where we go from there.

It\'s been a dramatic reconfiguration of the way to work, as all my Windows work has to run from a Virtual machine now (VirtualBox from Oracle).

I\'m currently in the process of migrating e-mail from the guest to the host which is giving me a few \'headaches\' as I have now have 6GB of locally stored e-mail (10 years of retained e-mail).

All ideas of Windows Server as the host OS have now been \'thrown out\' and Fedora will be the server.

I\'ll still need to make sure that Rpi clients can VNC into the Windows 7 virtual system so that they can experience the \'M$ stuff\' they are taught at school/college.

I am finding that I lose track of which environment I am in, but I believe this post is via Firefox on the Host rather than Firefox on the Guest (Schizophrenia syndrome coming soon).

It\'s been a steep learning curve over a few days, but I\'ve had to maintain an M$ environment as that provides income.

From reading the posts in the forum, I think there are a number of 40 - 55 year olds looking to get \'involved\' with \'grass roots\' computing again and they will be the foundation of passing their experience and knowledge to the new generation of developers rather than users.

(Apologies for the rambling and ad-hoc nature of this post, but it\'s simply how I think sometimes)

radu

Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:55 am

I also did my shopping, got this: http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Keyboard ... B003UE52ME
It is nice because it is small, wireless, relatively cheap, and has both a keyboard and mouse in one single USB device.

obarthelemy

Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:01 am

did someone manage to find combined Wifi and Bluetooth ? The one Alibaba lead turned out to be a dead end, for me ?

meltwater

Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:16 am

If anyone is interested...Kingston Class 4 32Gb Micro SD for $27.05 on Dealextreme (free worldwide shipping) (with the limited BlackFriday coupon).
OFFER HAS ENDED - Hope some were able to get one.
^^^I\'ll remove this when the offer stops.

@radu - neat solution, particularly the battery and backlight bits. Not so cheap in Uk though.
@obarthelemy - see a few on Dealextreme, but $16-$20 it\'s a risk if you can get drivers.

radu

Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:03 am

How much is it there?

Desmon

Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:40 am

storage: sd card -> i have a few microSDhc one lying around (with converters), just got myself a 16 gb stick on a 50 % off sale
mouse and keyboard -> i thought about using some old ones lying around but i just saw a wireless keyboard + mouse (one usb dougle) at 60% off....so i\'m pretty sure i\'m gonna use that.
have hdmi ->dvi cable...want hdmi - hdmi cable (no more carring around pc speakers to the tv)

screen -> i\'m not that good at putting stuff together so probably just gonna stick with the tv or my lcd as monitor for it.

would i need anything else?

radu

Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:49 am

Probably you will want a wifi dongle as well, unless if you plan to use a wire.

meltwater

Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:06 am

[quote]Quote from radu on November 25, 2011, 10:03
How much is it there?[/quote]
£26 (around $40) - At the moment I don\'t need one anyway.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004 ... d_i=468294

Desmon

Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:10 am

oh yeah...i forgot about that....got one, but i\'m probably gonna use the ethernet, it\'s just plug & surf rather than plug & pls god give me a driver for this wifi stick!

Return to “General discussion”