Duhjoker

How about a built in charger

Sun May 01, 2016 8:33 pm

The best part of the Pi for me is its portability. But with the way the micro USB port is aimed out the bottom makes it hard to build or print a well proportioned case to fit what needs to fit and still have compatibility. Nobody produces a micro USB that can be cut up either. Angles, bends and yadayadayada.

What this means is having to bypass the fuse and using the bottom of the pi's GPIO to solder the power wires. Not cool!!!!!!!

My idea is to remove the (pretty much redundant) Ethernet port and replace some of that space with a built in charge system (powerboost500). Then add a lil port for the battery to connect to. Not a solder port not a screw terminal port but a battery plug.

Or..or can we just move the input power where it's pointing out the side like the Pi A?

blaablaaguy

Re: How about a built in charger

Sun May 01, 2016 8:37 pm

I think there might be some testpoints or summat where you can solder wires to power the pi. I think, anyway. Not sure where.
This signature intentionally left blank.

Duhjoker

Sun May 01, 2016 8:41 pm

The test pads are too easy to screw up if your not very very careful.

klricks

Sun May 01, 2016 11:59 pm

Test points PP1 or PP2 are both +5V before the fuse so same as using micro USB.
For ground use any of the port shield hold down tabs at the corners of the ports on bottom of the board. USB, RJ45 etc. These points are very robust.
I don't think a powerboost 500 is sufficient and as I remember from other posts, people have trouble with the PB1000.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

Duhjoker

Mon May 02, 2016 12:04 am

I've been using the powerboost for a while now and it works great. I got 5 1/2 hours from a 4000mah 3.7v.

Like I mentioned earlier the two test pads are really small and if not carefully done you'll burn it.

From what I'm told from adafruit the powerboost Will Not exceed 5.2v output which it sends through the micro-USB. If the gpio couldn't handle the extra .2v then the Micro USB port could not either. If anything I was told the voltage would drop, which of course it does anyway as the battery is consumed.

I would still like an onboard charger and battery port. I know that prolly will not happen but maybe we can talk them into changing the orientation of the micro USB to face the side of the Pi instead of down or up.

klricks

Mon May 02, 2016 3:00 am

Duhjoker wrote:I've been using the powerboost for a while now and it works great. I got 5 1/2 hours from a 4000mah 3.7v.

Like I mentioned earlier the two test pads are really small and if not carefully done you'll burn it.
You could solder to the fuse pad side closest to the edge of the board. The fuse pad is the largest pad on the whole board I think.
Duhjoker wrote: From what I'm told from adafruit the powerboost Will Not exceed 5.2v output which it sends through the micro-USB. If the gpio couldn't handle the extra .2v then the Micro USB port could not either. If anything I was told the voltage would drop, which of course it does anyway as the battery is consumed.
The problem I was referring to was current not voltage. But that of course will depend on what is attached to the RPi.
Duhjoker wrote: I would still like an onboard charger and battery port. I know that prolly will not happen but maybe we can talk them into changing the orientation of the micro USB to face the side of the Pi instead of down or up.
If by "them" you mean the RPi board manufactures then they do provide a customization service but you will have to order several thousand boards at likely a much higher price each.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

Duhjoker

Mon May 02, 2016 3:17 am

Yea I know all about that and yes the manufacturer.

I'm just saying maybe with the Pi 4 or the Pi 3 A when it comes out.

tweak42

Mon May 02, 2016 8:13 am

Duhjoker wrote:The best part of the Pi for me is its portability. But with the way the micro USB port is aimed out the bottom makes it hard to build or print a well proportioned case to fit what needs to fit and still have compatibility. Nobody produces a micro USB that can be cut up either. Angles, bends and yadayadayada.

What this means is having to bypass the fuse and using the bottom of the pi's GPIO to solder the power wires. Not cool!!!!!!!

My idea is to remove the (pretty much redundant) Ethernet port and replace some of that space with a built in charge system (powerboost500). Then add a lil port for the battery to connect to. Not a solder port not a screw terminal port but a battery plug.

Or..or can we just move the input power where it's pointing out the side like the Pi A?
Instead of modding Pi board itself, have you considered one the HATs with batteries and power management like the PiJuice or Pipeye?

Duhjoker

Mon May 02, 2016 8:16 am

I've looked for both and can't find them. Do you have a link?

Duhjoker

Mon May 02, 2016 7:23 pm

When i asked for a link i meant to a place that actually had the products in stock.

Sorry but thrse links are useless. Thank you for trying though

lpsw

Mon May 02, 2016 7:44 pm

The links aren't useless. Neither is patience...
Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is - Isaac Asimov

gordon77

Mon May 02, 2016 7:46 pm

Last edited by gordon77 on Fri May 06, 2016 11:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

Duhjoker

Mon May 02, 2016 7:49 pm

Outstanding!!

Return to “General discussion”