fruitoftheloom

Re: Adding RAM to Pi

Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:22 am

rpdom wrote:They actually said that it will address 1GB/8Gb maximum, but (as already mentioned) no one makes 8Gb POP RAM with only one select line. The existing chips are all 2x4Gb on a single chunk of sand with a select line for each half of the chip.

I guess it wouldn't be hard for those chip makers to design a compatible chip, but the cost of setting up would outweigh any income generated from a possible couple of million or so sold for a single product that might well be superseded in a few years time.
As already stated http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 64#p600904
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Stretch.

Gert van Loo

Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:34 am

ame wrote:
Gert van Loo wrote:A real engineer will always come up with a solution.
That is why you do not want an engineer freely talking to customers and
always place a marketing person next to him to restrain him.
You are being ironic, I hope.

In my experience you do not want marketing talking to customers as they will invent features that we don't have, and sell them. Then we engineers have to implement whatever brain-dead ass-hattery they came up with.
Being serious: my experience is that it in real life it works both ways.
Engineers should not promise features without indicating the cost.
Marketeers should not promise features without asking work load and feasible timescale.

Both often underestimate the amount of work involved.
You will hear experienced managers talking about the 'pi-factor' (nothing to do with the Raspberry-pi)
Pi is the multiplication factor between estimated work and real work required to achieve the target.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:20 pm

jehamann wrote:so do you guys have any suggestion on how I would go about building my own single bored computer. I know I can buy one more powerfull but I would like to build one. I plan on trying to build a simple computer like something from the 80s but I eventually want to move on to something more powerful then the raspberry pi.
Something like this? You are free to copy it! http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 27#p551927

Return to “General discussion”