crazzy88ss

Best place to buy Pi & parts in US

Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:39 pm

Hello,

I'm interested in buying a Pi 3 and a few accessories. I'm based in the US. What website do people generally use?

Thanks!

Rive

Re: Best place to buy Pi & parts in US

Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:58 pm

crazzy88ss wrote:Hello,

I'm interested in buying a Pi 3 and a few accessories. I'm based in the US. What website do people generally use?

Thanks!

The official sister site of element14 (manufacturer of the Raspberry Pi)...MCM Electronics

and online/physical store location Micro Center
DNPNWO

echmain

Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:56 pm

I've ordered several times from Adafruit (https://www.adafruit.com/) located in New York. Great store and web site. They have lots of Youtube tutorials and info on how to do this and that.

And I've ordered from Pimoroni (https://shop.pimoroni.com/) located in England. Their shipping and handling is reasonable. And if you order from the US the vat tax is removed (I think, not sure about that).

Big thumbs up from me for both of these sites.

crazzy88ss

Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:11 pm

I had found Adafruit, but they charge $5 more for the Pi 3 than others...made me question them.

MarkHaysHarris777

Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:18 pm

crazzy88ss wrote:I had found Adafruit, but they charge $5 more for the Pi 3 than others...made me question them.
On the one hand this is supply and demand working; on the other hand, considering the foundation, its unethical and maybe immoral. There are several companies doing the same, not just Adafruit. I was looking on-line today and found PI3B from Seeed for $47 (they had a couple hundred in stock). And I have sound others similar, like amazon; so...
marcus
:ugeek:

Rive

Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:21 pm

Micro Center has the pi2 and the pi3 for $29.99 last time I checked, and MCM has the pi3 for $35.
DNPNWO

crazzy88ss

Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:01 pm

MarkHaysHarris777 wrote:
crazzy88ss wrote:I had found Adafruit, but they charge $5 more for the Pi 3 than others...made me question them.
On the one hand this is supply and demand working; on the other hand, considering the foundation, its unethical and maybe immoral. There are several companies doing the same, not just Adafruit. I was looking on-line today and found PI3B from Seeed for $47 (they had a couple hundred in stock). And I have sound others similar, like amazon; so...
Business is business...so I don't know if I'd call them unethical. I just meant that I was assuming they were more expensive for EVERYTHING else, too.

But I guess the Pi 3 is still really new, right? Either way, I guess I can survive the $5 extra :)

stderr

Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:19 pm

MarkHaysHarris777 wrote:
On the one hand this is supply and demand working; on the other hand, considering the foundation, its unethical and maybe immoral.
If you want to pay the supposed retail price, buy from a distribution source such as MCM. The pi people have taken their no profit thing so far though that distribution has now balked on the pi zero. I suspect that when the pi square root of negative one comes out, sellers will be asked to pay buyers to take the items: "It's unethical and maybe immoral not to pay me to take these pies!"

echmain

Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:34 pm

Hmmm...I can't explain the upcharge for the Pi3 (and Pi 2).

But a month ago or so, I bought a Zero when they had some in stock (for about 30 minutes). They charged the usual $5 even though they could have asked 5x times that and still sold them.

Could the upcharge have something to do with a shift in the dollar/pound exchange rate?

stevech

Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:28 am

Adafruit is a good outfit.
And they have that New York attitude :o

Jednorozec

Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:56 am

Adafruit is an authorized distributor for the Pi Zero only and they charge the list price for it. I suspect that they're not buying in large enough quantities to get a discount on any of the other Pis so they have to mark them up a bit. Depending on what else you're buying it might be cheaper to buy from Adafruit rather than from MCM when you figure in the shipping. I deal with both companies and like both of them.
The most important leg of a three legged stool is the one that's missing.
It's called thinking. Why don't you try it sometime?

CarlRJ

Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:53 am

I would very carefully consider your words before calling Adafruit unethical. They are quite upstanding and do good work. They make a lot of their own hardware specifically for the Pi, and back it all up with online guides and tutorials and such. If you look at the UK websites selling the Pi (thepihut.com, pimoroni.com, modmypi.com, pi-supply.com, etc.), which are at ground zero of Raspberry Pi land, you'll find they are all importing Adafruit products from the US to sell on their sites. I don't know why Adafruit's price is higher for the Pi 3, but I expect that they have reasonable reasons.

CarlRJ

Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:02 am

Rive wrote:Micro Center has the pi2 and the pi3 for $29.99 last time I checked, and MCM has the pi3 for $35.
The $29.99 price appears to be in-store only. The only one anywhere near me is an hour and a half away. And I'm in the 8th largest city in the US, so they're not exactly ubiquitous.

Rive

Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:23 pm

CarlRJ wrote:
Rive wrote:Micro Center has the pi2 and the pi3 for $29.99 last time I checked, and MCM has the pi3 for $35.
The $29.99 price appears to be in-store only. The only one anywhere near me is an hour and a half away. And I'm in the 8th largest city in the US, so they're not exactly ubiquitous.

Yep. I know what you mean.

I will be honest though, the closest Micro Center to me is almost an hour and half away too... and i have driven there many times to pickup orders for computer stuff (where else can you buy the components to build a mid-high end desktop PC for less than $400?), and even for my Pi3 (5.25V 2.4A power supply).

It is what it is. I don't have a lot of patience, and I hate waiting, and it is faster and cheaper to just drive there ($10 in gas or so?), then pay for expedited shipping somewhere else. To each his own though.
DNPNWO

crazzy88ss

Sun May 01, 2016 4:57 pm

Ok thanks for the info guys.

I live in the SF Bay Area, and the closest MCM to me is 2+ hours.

Duhjoker

Sun May 01, 2016 8:57 pm

The most obvious place to check for the cheapest price and accessories you need is eBay!

Return to “General discussion”