ecurieecosse

Western Digital PiDrive

Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:26 am

A quick warning for anyone considering the purchase of the WD PiDrive, cable set and enclosure.
I placed my confirmed order on 22nd March and was told to expect a 3 to 4 week delivery. I have today, 5 weeks later, been emailed by WD to tell me that they cannot provide an expected delivery date and giving me the option to cancel my order which I have done. Very disappointing as I had a couple of projects earmarked for this order.
Be aware their website is still offering the products with the same warning of 2 to 3 week delivery but with no expectation of when or if you may get your delivery.
CMac.
Colin
original pi model A
series 2 - B+
original pi zero
several pi zeroW
several series 3 B

darkbibble

Re: Western Digital PiDrive

Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:36 am

my pidrive arrived exactly 3 weeks after order, the demand for this device is extremely high so I'm not supprised they running way behind.
from what ive seen so far with pi products is the good ones sell out immediately and then everyone else has to wait for more to be made.
Q; How many Windows users does it take to fix a Linux problem??
A; Whats a Linux problem

ecurieecosse

Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:39 pm

Of course you are correct about demand, except that after 5 weeks and an admission that there is no known estimate for delivery I've decided to give up, at least for the moment. In my business I can do a reasonable delivery estimate based on number of orders, production schedule, and shipping time, so if WD had estimated delivery based on this simple arithmetic and given me a new schedule I might have been more patient and less annoyed.
Colin
original pi model A
series 2 - B+
original pi zero
several pi zeroW
several series 3 B

W. H. Heydt

Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:21 pm

ecurieecosse wrote:Of course you are correct about demand, except that after 5 weeks and an admission that there is no known estimate for delivery I've decided to give up, at least for the moment. In my business I can do a reasonable delivery estimate based on number of orders, production schedule, and shipping time, so if WD had estimated delivery based on this simple arithmetic and given me a new schedule I might have been more patient and less annoyed.
Is your business subject to spikes in demand for specific products? Say, spikes of 100 times what you were expecting? It is possible that the spike in interest has been triggered by reviews of the PiDrive on these Forums, or--at least--posts about the existence of the device. WDs expecations *may* have been driven by the response to their earlier product, the CM SATA apadter board. Since the CM is not heavily used by individuals, it is reasonably probable that sales of that item were rather more modest and set WDs internal expectations of Pi-related items.

There have been posts from a couple of people from WD on these Forums (the PiDrive is not the only WD Pi-related product). Locate them and send a private message. You might get a useful answer.

ecotec

Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:27 pm

Just as an aside to this, to anyone that has bought from WD (via digital river ireland ltd) have the drives purchased been well packaged for transit - only that some other online retailers are not so good and with somewhat delicate HDDs it would be good to know that they take this seriously.

I also noted that they only charge credit cards when an item is dispatched so they obviously store all card details on their servers (no details for how long and privacy policy has not been updated since 2005) - no paypal option available either which is a shame.
b raspbian running get-iplayer and mini dlna server
b+ running volumio
pi 2 - dietpi - pihole, ssh and a few other bits

W. H. Heydt

Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:51 pm

I can't speak to how drives are shipped in Ireland but the ones I got from WD in California were well packed in sturdy boxes. In addition, the separately purchased cases for the PiDrive come with shock mounts.

staceman

Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:09 pm

got my pi-drive with no problems was well packaged within 10 days of ordering.You can pay by paypal as I did but your paypal account is charged when the order is placed as opposed to when it is despatched.

ecotec

Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:43 am

Thanks staceman I had somehow missed seeing the paypal option, good to hear it was well packaged.
b raspbian running get-iplayer and mini dlna server
b+ running volumio
pi 2 - dietpi - pihole, ssh and a few other bits

ecurieecosse

Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:04 am

Had a very helpful reply from WD explaining the circumstances and hopefully the situation will be resolved soon. It's great that someone from WD has taken the time and trouble to contact me. Well done.
Colin
original pi model A
series 2 - B+
original pi zero
several pi zeroW
several series 3 B

zardoz66

Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:10 pm

It sounds like WD is owning up to the availability issues and giving you options. I think it's shows good ownership to the issue and is protectively giving you options.
Zardoz
Raspberry Pi 3 | Raspbian Jessie | 32GB Samsung EVO+ | D-Link 7 port USB HUB | Sabrent CRW-EXT 6-Slot Card Reader | 64GB USB Storage. Other RPi's - 2x RPi1b, 1x Rpi1b+ 1x Rpi2b, 2x Rpi3b
Join us on IRC #raspberrypi at https://webchat.freenode.net/

drushtx

Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:22 pm

Ordered my PiDrive on 3/20 - arrived 4/7
Ordered my PiDrive "wonder cable" 3/25 - arrived 4/19

Eventually they're going to catch up. Seems a shame to kill the order when waiting another week or two would likely have resulted in a shipping notification. And what if it was 6 or 8 weeks later? Either way, if you want one, you have to start in the back of the queue again.

Just sayin'...

Heater

Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:36 pm

It's the modern world of instant gratification.

Takes 10 seconds to download a web page, give up, go somewhere else.

Latest order for a toy will arrive a few days late, cancel it, move on to the next thing.

Never mind that not long ago one could stand in line to buy a potato all day. Or perhaps there was no potato at the end of the line and you just had to starve to death.

How spoiled we are today. If you live in the right places of course.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

p.hipwell

Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:57 pm

So far I've requested an update four times through the website support (Order Date: 24/03/2016)
1 one got an standard reply telling me where to find my order status
2 asked them that since the order status page tells me nothing more than the date I placed it perhaps they could find out a little more. to which they told me they would escalate it and the order fulfillment team would be in touch directly
3 asked that since I had now waited another 8 days with no contact that from anyone else could they investigate further. To which I received the exact same email as my first enquiry (clearly had not even read it, just seen the "PiDrive" and done a quick Cut'nPaste)
4 email asked them to read my email answer the previous questions to which I got a semi decent reply
We are still actively working to resolve your case. Unfortunately, to
date, we have not reached a resolution. Your case has been escalated and
is being treated with a high priority.
Now Ive spoken to someone. basically she told me that they have no information on the system but they can add a note to the order asking for an update etc. This is not what Id call "actively working" to resolve my case. But its not their fault.

I realise I will have to wait. But after more than a month if they cant even give me an individual estimate of when I am likely to get my order that's a terrible lack of basic business information.

I paid via Paypal they have my money. Someone at Western Digital should at least be telling us how long that wait is likely to be.
:evil:

skspurling

Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:44 pm

Heater wrote:It's the modern world of instant gratification.

Takes 10 seconds to download a web page, give up, go somewhere else.

Latest order for a toy will arrive a few days late, cancel it, move on to the next thing.

Never mind that not long ago one could stand in line to buy a potato all day. Or perhaps there was no potato at the end of the line and you just had to starve to death.

How spoiled we are today. If you live in the right places of course.
There is the issue of instant and full satisfaction being demanded. I blame a lot of that on some marketing forces making us think things are one way when they really aren't.

There is also the issue of business being forced to behave in impractical ways due to the perception of ever increasing returns always being achievable. Just In Time inventory is kind of a crazy idea. Also, no one carries anything locally any more partly due to that and the idea that inventory is a liability instead of an asset. Combine this, and you end up with strange supply change interruptions when one little thing just doesn't happen just right.

I did have to wait a few weeks to get my Pi Drive. It's a cool little thing, and I have gotten a bit of use out of it. I wish they weren't having these supply issues, but it's just different enough that I can see where they might have an issue if a shipment gets lost. If you need a constant supply for a product, you probably should communicate directly with them about your bulk purchase requirements. I am sure the wholesale purchase department at Western Digital can get you stuff a lot quicker than trying to order large numbers through the retail web page. I can kind of see using retail channels to prototype products, but are people really trying to build and sell products from parts purchased through normal retail channels?

Return to “General discussion”