AdamDynamic

PCB Standoffs - 16mm versions in the UK?

Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:14 pm

Hi,

Does anyone know where I can get 16mm M2.5 PCB standoffs/spacers in the UK?

I have a Pi project with a model A+ and two or three boards stacked on top of it (a sense hat, a PITS tracker and a proto-board). In order that the GPIO pins don't get damaged I want to use standoffs (I need 16mm as I'm using extra tall headers) but I'm having much more trouble than I expected finding somewhere that sells them?

Ebay/Amazon seem to have a few but all from China/Hong Kong (I can't wait for the shipping); Farnell has a few but only female/female connections (unless there's a way to do it I'm missing, I'm assuming for multiple boards I would need male/female connections?)

Can anyone suggest anywhere else? Is there an alternative to standoffs/spacers that I'm missing? I feel like I've scoured the internet so any assistance on this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Adam

asandford

Re: PCB Standoffs - 16mm versions in the UK?

Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:04 pm

Have you tried RS or Rapid?

stderr

Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:17 pm

Does anyone know where I can get 16mm M2.5 PCB standoffsspacers in the UK?
Can anyone suggest anywhere else? Is there an alternative to standoffsspacers that I'm missing?
Plastic standoffs that snap into the screw holes of the type used in some computer cases. That is a nub on the bottom of the ones I've seen for cases that could be cut off and some sort of super tape, I think 3M has something like this, could be used to attach these feet to the inside of case, all without putting any holes in the case. I'd love to find a source for these with or preferably without the nub thing on the bottom, cheap out of CN would be fine for me. But perhaps you could find some of these things for your project from an old computer case or system you could gut. Oh, and if you don't have the super tape, I'm thinking a dab of hot glue.

lb

Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:24 pm

Buy from an actual electronics distributor, e.g. Mouser or DigiKey. In most cases you can get free shipping if you order enough. They do all the customs stuff for you as well. These distributors aren't always cheap, but on the other hand you can get pretty much anything imaginable and you can expect to have your parts on the table in just 3 days.

superace

Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:53 pm

If you do not need that many try to find a Maker Space close to you that has a 3d printer. I print my pcb supports and they come out "just the way I want them". For this even simple 3d printers can do a very good job.

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:09 am

Sometimes rather than using male/female standoffs you can use spacers (threaded or unthreaded) stacked on a long screw.

I'm struggling to find 16mm m2.5 MF standoffs. Mouser seem to have 15mm and 18mm but not 16mm. http://www.mouser.co.uk/Electromechanic ... &P=1z0x0ws

billw

Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:08 am

With my B+, Pi 2 and Pi 3 boards the first thing I've always done is drill out the mounting holes to 3 mm
or 1/8 inch. Then I use ebay M3 11 mm and 16 mm standoffs which seem much easier to find.
I use a variable speed hand drill at very very very low speed so the bit doesn't grab the board.

karrika

Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:00 am

I order all my 2.5mm spacers from toby in UK. They carry pretty much everything.

http://www.toby.co.uk/content/catalogue ... ch=spacers

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:41 am

They don't seem to do a 16mm m2.5 MF spacer though they do seem to do an 8mm one which I guess you could stack.

Return to “General discussion”