TrapdoorSmoke

Analogue PAL TV on Raspberry Pi

Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:48 pm

Does any one know or have and knowledge on how I could watch/decode a analogue PAL TV on raspberry Pi.
Analogue TV You would receive to through a to arieal.
I found a project on GitHub but it's for the North American standard NTCS

CRImier

Re: Analogue PAL TV on Raspberry Pi

Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:52 pm

Can you find a Linux-compatible USB receiver for that? If so, there's most likely software supporting it that'd work on Pi, too. If you (can) get simple analog video from that (in same way that Pi outputs it), you can use a STK1160 dongle for receiving it.
hackaday.io/CRImier
Current project - ZeroPhone

TrapdoorSmoke

Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:01 pm

CRImier wrote:Can you find a Linux-compatible USB receiver for that? If so, there's most likely software supporting it that'd work on Pi, too. If you (can) get simple analog video from that (in same way that Pi outputs it), you can use a STK1160 dongle for receiving it.
I should of phrased it better I'm not talking about composite analogue signal I'm talking about teristrial analogue.
I'm just trying to find some software to Decode pal from frequencys

CRImier

Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:03 pm

So you need DVB-T?
hackaday.io/CRImier
Current project - ZeroPhone

noggin

Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:09 pm

So you want to receive analogue PAL UHF (and possibly VHF?) composite broadcasts. For that you will need a tuner+demodulator - which will take the RF and convert it to a baseband composite signal, and then a composite video capture solution.

There were USB analogue capture cards with tuner+demodulator+analogue composite capture solution (Hauppauge WinTV PVR USB2 was one) - and there are still lots of analogue capture solutions you could use with an old VCR as a tuner+demodulator (take the composite from the SCART connector)

The nice thing about the WinTV PVR USB2 was that it included a hardware MPEG2 encoder - so it delivered an already compressed MPEG2 stream over USB, rather than raw uncompressed data (requiring on-board encoding in the computer) Not sure if there are LinuxTV drivers for it. There are for other analogue capture solutions I'm sure.

TrapdoorSmoke

Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:12 pm

CRImier wrote:So you need DVB-T?
No I want Analogue https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analogu ... ed_Kingdom
I know it sounds weird but I want analogue not Digital

DougieLawson

Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:41 pm

Who's broadcasting an analogue PAL signal these days? There's none left in the UK.
Any language using left-hand whitespace for syntax is ridiculous

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
Fake doctors - are all on my foes list.

Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

rpdom

Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:20 am

DougieLawson wrote:Who's broadcasting an analogue PAL signal these days? There's none left in the UK.
Old VCRs, Computers, Video Games that had a UHF modulator for output, for a start.

Maybe for a historical project.

TrapdoorSmoke

Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:21 pm

DougieLawson wrote:Who's broadcasting an analogue PAL signal these days? There's none left in the UK.
What about set top boxes with a rf output like sky set top boxes.
And I find analogue pal is easier to broadcast that DVB-T (all that multiplex stuff and compression:-( )

DougieLawson

Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:39 pm

Avoid using the RF signal at all cost. Get a composite PAL signal from the SCART interface. Then you'll need a composite capture device for your RPi which should be something that's easier to find.
Any language using left-hand whitespace for syntax is ridiculous

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
Fake doctors - are all on my foes list.

Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

pksato

Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:50 pm

Hi,
OP can be asking about SDR (Software Defined Radio) solution to watch analog TV (or even digital).
http://www.rtl-sdr.com/analogue-tv-with-rtl-sdr/
For correct demodulation need a SDR hardware capable to sample at 10Mbps. And lots of processing.
And a RF front end to tune VHF and UHF bands.
If want to use RPi as Television Set top Box, buy a USB analog TV Tuner, or a Hybrid (analog+digital). Digital need to be compatible to system (ATSC, DVT-T/T2, ISDB-T, etc) use on your country.

A link to GitHub can help us.

Return to “General discussion”