Heater

SD card on fire !

Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:50 am

My SD card just smoked itself.

I have Pi Mode B+ V1.2 here. It has had a camera and WIFI dongle attached. Since last spring it has been running an image from the folks at resin.io serving up camera snapshots in a simple web page created using node.js.

This setup ran all last summer taking views of the garden from our balcony. Then we moved and a few weeks back I set it up taking views from our new balcony.

Two weeks ago it went off line. I took it indoors, checked it over, rebooted it, one or other LEDs came on. Never did come back on line.

Today, I brought it into the office for a serious look, removed the camera and WIFI dongle, hooked up screen keyboard and mouse, powered it up.

No LEDs come on. But smoke starts coming from a very hot SD card. Ooooops!

Now, I read hear recently that someone had the same burning SD issue. I didn't believe it. Now I know better!

Removing the SD and powering up again I have red and green LEDS hard on. So I guess there is life in the old girl yet.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

Rive

Re: SD card on fire !

Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:48 pm

If the pi2 burning up sdcards, then I would say not much (life left).
DNPNWO

Heater

Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:19 pm

Yay, that Pi is still alive. With a new 8GB Transcend whatever SD card and Raspian Lite.

The burned SD card has no manufacturers name on it. I have no recollection of where it came from now.

I'll set the old girl up again and see how long she runs for.

Heater

Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:42 pm

Running 24 hours and the new SD card is not on fire yet.

No idea what that was about.

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:49 pm

I'd bet on a faulty SD card. AIUI they need to contain some power conversion electronics to get the voltages needed to write the flash array and I suspect said power conversion electronics failed.

henryhanselscott

Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:27 pm

Last week had a SD card fail and it went smoking hot also. When I installed the card into my desktop PC had the same reaction. Got new SD card and the pi is happy now. This seems to be a common failure mode.

Henry

Return to “General discussion”