nobbit

Re: Will you get the A or B? Why?

Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:05 pm

I\'m getting the Model B myself. For me it\'s not the RAM upgrade that\'s the most important, but the ethernet port.

Since I want to have it as a local webserver/network storage the ethernet port and the two USB ports are the most important ports of all.

Sylvain

Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:20 pm

+1 for B model : for me an ethernet port is a must on such a device, 256 Mo is also a big Plus.

Sylvain.

wrhii

Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:22 pm

I would prefer the B, but the A may work just as well (not sure yet). Since my impression is that the B shares the USB bus with the Network and both USB Ports, I am not sure it gains much in the performance arena. The additional memory is a potentially bigger gain, depending on how the device is used.
For myself, I see the following items I\'d like to try to do with it as time permits:
  • Inline Sniffer
    Having a separately powered USB Hub would make the additional network ports required more feasible.
  • Weather Station
    This would allow for the sensor configuration/testing/calibration needed for the next goal.
  • Submarine
    This was prompted by the Orbiter discussion thread, and I believe is a much more attainable option for me. This would likely involve more than one Raspberry in order to support the sensors and navigation. Battery pack, and remote connection/navigation being another potential issue. This is one area where having the network port may make a much more significant impact for doing distributed control.

infektor

Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:42 pm

I will be getting the B model to use as an always on home SVN server which requires the networking.

hippy

Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:45 pm

Model B : I feel ethernet is essential for me if cross-compiling on a development PC for R-Pi and I have a wired-LAN rather than Wi-Fi environment. Twice the RAM and number of USB ports will probably prove useful and IMO the price saving isn\'t worth it to get the A and find I need the B.

If I can think of specific projects where the A fits I\'d probably not be adverse to using it, but would probably just get more B\'s so I can use any I have for anything I want to do.

Svartalf

Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:45 pm

+1 for the B model- for RAM and Ethernet port reasons. :-D

gatto

Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:01 pm

I need the B model since I\'m not going to get a USB hub, and I seriously don\'t think even I could cope with 128MB of RAM.

Vindicator

Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:14 pm

I would like one of each but since it will be one per customer I will want to start with a B. More ram and ethernet makes it more versatile for projects that I want to try with it.
If you are more worried about ,spelling, punctuation or grammar you have probably already missed the point so please just move on.

radu

Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:31 pm

I think the B model is a must for anyone who wants to use it as mini computer or server. The A model is useful if you want to play with the GPIO for sensors, robotics, etc.

hamjudo

Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:14 pm

I\'m getting an A model. The manufacturing run has some of each. I figure they will both sell out, but the model A will probably be available for several hundred milliseconds after the model B has sold out.

I\'m going to use them to teach embedded programming to the students on the High School\'s FIRST Robotics team. When they are available in quantity, I plan on ordering enough so that each student gets one. We can afford more A\'s than Bs.

WASD

Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:25 pm

Another B-buyer here. Primarily for the ethernet-port. Also more RAM.

campsec

Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:55 pm

Definitely the B for more ram. Cost wise is most of the cost of the B the ram? I wouldn\'t mind seeing the A unit offered with additional ram. Also, using chip on chip can we get even more ram than what is offered on the B unit without a new PCB. Sorry if these questions have been answered somewhere else.

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:31 pm

The intention at present is one of each.

Given any restrictions, it\'ll be B, then A.
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

Point3Forever

Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:42 pm

Currently I plan on using a model B for running a web server, and a model A for controlling a robot via bluetooth. I might eventually get a third (B) as media server/games device as a permanent fixture behind my tv.

So, B if I\'m limited to one, and both if I can get them.

Nexy

Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:10 am

B, for the price difference there\'s no real benefit to me getting an A. I\'m pretty poor at the moment (although all things are relative) so this is an investment. Double the RAM for £6, AND get a built-in ethernet? Just hook it to my veins!

I hope to be able to get my hands on several model Bs, potentially selling off any spare organs to do so. If I were get a model A, I wouldn\'t pay more than a finger for it, and not my index or middle.

Bikko

Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:46 am

Model B

However if they will allow it I would get model A and B and same time. But if just 1 perperson will have to be B

stuporhero

Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:20 am

One of each if I can (model B first) so I can develop an OS on it, then scale it to back to the model A.

Chris

Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:30 am

Its a pitty there wont be anything guarenteeing the longer following members a chance to get one. It would really frustrate me if someone who just heard about this got one and I missed out on the batch having followed the Pi since july.

tek-monkey

Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:51 am

Only want the model B myself, as I need LAN. The extra RAM is a bonus, as is the second USB port. Was thinking of adding a USB Bluetooth dongle, then writing a bluetooth keyboard app for my android phone. Figured its always with me, so may as well try to use it.

Davespice
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:01 am

Model B, only because I want ethernet (which will be the case for most people) :)

Burngate

Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:39 am

B because of network. Unless I can find a cheap USB-ethernet (not wi-fi), in which case A.

Desmon

Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:12 am

B -> media center:)

Pastychomper

Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:17 pm

I think A, since I have a redundant USB-Ethernet adaptor and I\'ve always been one to use old hardware so the short RAM needn\'t be a problem. Of course it wouldn\'t take much to change my mind. :)

anakinpendragon

Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:35 pm

B of course 128MB of RAM is too little

Photon Peddler

Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:48 am

I will get the B version, mainly because I have prior experience with various ARM Linux systems. Here are my findings.

I have the following ARM Linux systems:
  • Nokia 770 (252 MHz ARM9, 64 MB RAM)
    Nokia N810 (400 MHz ARM11, 128 MB RAM)
    Nokia N900 (600 MHz ARM Cortex A8, 256 MB RAM)
The 770 is too slow for any complex GUI interaction, in my opinion. I suppose you could use it for some specialty control application, by replacing the OS with something more lightweight. It is too slow for general purpose web browsing. I\'ve done some simple Python + PyGame GUIs with it, and it seems to cope fairly OK with those, as long as there\'s no other software running at the same time.

The N810 was almost OK for web browsing, before flash pages started bogging it down. The 400 MHz ARM11 is simply not enough for the many Flash 7 files on the Internet. Regular browsing seems a bit sluggish but is OK without Flash. Python runs acceptably on the device, although it takes a second or two to load for the first time.

The N900 if almost perfectly fine for web browsing, even today. It only comes with Flash 9, so many web pages have started to complain about the outdated Flash version. Normal HTML pages render pretty quickly. Python starts quickly and even accelerated OpenGL is available. 256 MB RAM seems to be quite enough for the Maemo environment, so Raspberry PI will probably be fine as well.

So, in summary:

Based on my experiences, I would presume that the Raspberry PI version B is somewhere between the N810 and the N900 in terms of processing power. I.e. some tweaking is needed for smooth web browsing but otherwise it should perform acceptably. I wouldn\'t necessarily expect to run a standard PC Linux distro on it comfortably, but fortunately with Linux, that\'s not required.

Return to “General discussion”