AooX

Raspberry pi 3, its limitations

Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:29 pm

The raspberry pi 3 i have heard is two times more powerful of pi 2. so..
Which are its limitations in the world of personal computers?
which program can be started? can be started programs like Photoshop or video editing and other similiar programs?

Rive

Re: Raspberry pi 3, its limitations

Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:35 pm

If you are coming from a MAC/Window PC, to Linux it is a whole new world

The pi3 'Raspbian' runs a variant of Linux Debian made for armhf devices (mobile type devices).
No flash
No Netflix
Most of the apt-get programs in the repository for the 'armhf' are old (called 'stable') and years out of date.
Look at it in comparison to a mobile type pc device (like a tablet) in regards to power/performance.
May want a heat sink/fan. It runs hot/overheats (a necessity of you plan to overclock). See: viewtopic.php?p=956897#p956897

I use gimp for editing. Raspbian (Debian Jessie) works best on it as a 'full fledged pc-like' Linux experience made just for the pi.

Installed chrome (chromium), my wireless hp printer, antivirus (clamtk), it has a built in media player (OMXplayer), etc.

Mine:

Initially this was my son's micro PC. But now, for the most part, it is mine.

Last edited by Rive on Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:13 pm, edited 13 times in total.
DNPNWO

MarkHaysHarris777

Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:40 pm

AooX wrote:The raspberry pi 3 i have heard is two times more powerful of pi 2. so..
On average, my tests are showing 50-60% increase in cpu performance...
AooX wrote: Which are its limitations in the world of personal computers?
Through-put... in short, it is still constrained by the usb hub chip... everything passes through this port, and unlike a PCs bus is relatively slow.
AooX wrote: which program can be started? can be started programs like Photoshop or video editing and other similiar programs?
I have run GIMP on my PI 3B a couple of times now... it was not blazing fast, but it did function and it didn´t crash. I was impressed with the performance actually.

I am using my PI 3B now... as a primary workstation... and it functions well. Most things that I use my mac for I can accomplish with the PI 3B; from programming to video streaming.
marcus
:ugeek:

AooX

Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:05 pm

Rive wrote: No Netflix
well, with openelec maybe can works.
Rive wrote: I use gimp for editing. Look at it more like a mobile device in terms of power/performance. Raspbian (Debian Jessie) works best on it as a 'full fledged pc'.
i have understand, every program has a sort of a replacement program (similiar program)
ubuntu mate can it provide the same perfomance and fluidity like Raspbian ? (i love ubuntu)

DirkS

Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:26 pm

AooX wrote:
Rive wrote: No Netflix
well, with openelec maybe can works.
No

jojopi

Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:32 am

Rive wrote:Most of the apt-get programs in the repository for the 'armhf' are old (called 'stable') and years out of date.
The package versions in Debian or Raspbian armhf are basically the same as for other architectures such as amd64.

To the extent that packages are "old", it is because you are running jessie (stable), not armhf.

None of the packages are years out of date. jessie entered code freeze in late 2014. Since then most packages will not update to brand new versions, but will have security updates and bug fixes ported back.

jahboater

Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:43 am

They are all free, so why don't you get a couple of SD cards and try them?
8GB cards suffice and are very cheap.
"We are in the beginning of a mass extinction, and all you can talk
about is money and fairy tales of eternal economic growth."
- Greta Thunberg

AooX

Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:28 am

jahboater wrote:They are all free, so why don't you get a couple of SD cards and try them?
8GB cards suffice and are very cheap.
sure, i will try every os on raspberry, i wanted know how you regard it
anyway i have already some experience on linux and ubuntu is the os whose has a better configuration, that's why i wanted compare raspbian and ubuntu mate
i want only spend good my money, and if raspberry i see that it is worth of spend 35$ (50€ in italy) i'll buy it

Rive

Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:24 pm

jojopi wrote:None of the packages are years out of date. jessie entered code freeze in late 2014.
As for porting bug fixes/security updates back in, They have yet to fix the Epiphany browser bug (So I wouldn't hold my breath on that). [the bug is that if you right click on an image, and then select 'open image' two duplicate image windows are then opened instead of just the one]

ok then...so just 18 months out of date. Then consider most of the packages prior to the freeze were already at least a year old (all applications move from "unstable" to "testing" to '"stable" which is a lengthly process. My understanding is that only 'stable' apps make it into code freeze).

So it is highly likely that most of the jessie apps are years out of date.
DNPNWO

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:05 pm

DirkS wrote:
Crapler8 wrote:what are the cpu specs on this ??

On what? No image to be seen and I get sent to Amazon with that link...
Or is it just spam?
SPAM & BANNED
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

Return to “General discussion”