Pablo_LG

RPi 3 composite does not work

Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:11 am

Hey guys, I recently got a raspberry pi 3 (upgrading from the first gen model B) and i have tried endless times to get my composite cable to work properly. I am using a 3.5mm to composite cable, I've tried several cables, modified the config.txt file to exclude the hdmi codes and set the sdtv mode on, trying all 4 types and still no luck. The screen does turn on however and i get a flickering screen of all colors with a very faint image of part of the desktop and the image is just going wild. Can someone please help me out.

MarkHaysHarris777

Re: RPi 3 composite does not work

Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:56 am

This would appear to be an unfortunate hardware difficulty, for which there are three components:

1) TV
2) cable|connectors
3) PI / connector

Make sure you have a good cable and connector. Make certain the plug is fully seated in the PI connector. Make sure the RCA plugs are fully seated in the correct TV positions and that the connectors are clean and tight.

You may have a bad TV... this is going to be happening more often because, well, they are antiques.

You may have a bad PI... although I seriously doubt... it could happen.

Try taking your PI to another location (beats me where, maybe a friends house, we haven´t had a CRT in this house for years) and try it there. Make sure you have a good cable... oh, yeah, already said that.
marcus
:ugeek:

Nightwing2012

Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:09 am

Like above...

Did the cable work on the other Pi?
Do you have audio. ( omxplayer -o both "Whatever with sound file" ) Is it clear or buzy?
If a new cables does it match this. Use a Multi-meter set to restive or continuity mode to verify this pin out.

(Tip to base )
TIP = Audio R
Ring 1 = Audio L
Ring 2 = GND
Base = Video Out

Good luck on this problem.
Last edited by Nightwing2012 on Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

klricks

Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:10 am

Are you sure you have the correct cable?
See: viewtopic.php?p=653422#p653422
and: viewtopic.php?p=714304#p714304
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated RPiOS Buster w/ Desktop OS.

Pablo_LG

Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:24 am

I have tried all the above, tested it with different cables, different screens and a second raspberry pi 3 and i get the same result each time. I have also tried it with different OS (jessie and retropie) and still get the same problem. It is confusing because i have tried all the steps that most people do to get theirs to work and it still doesn't for me. I can only get it to work through hdmi which i don't want.

MarkHaysHarris777

Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:49 am

Pablo_LG wrote:I have tried all the above, tested it with different cables, different screens and a second raspberry pi 3 and i get the same result each time.
Well, that eliminates the PI for sure... I´m suspecting your antique TV...
Pablo_LG wrote:I have also tried it with different OS (jessie and retropie) and still get the same problem. It is confusing because i have tried all the steps that most people do to get theirs to work and it still doesn't for me.
Try another TV...
Pablo_LG wrote:I can only get it to work through hdmi which i don't want.
Yes, you do want hdmi... in my opinion the designers should not have included composite video on the card (but that´s another story).

The only reason for the composite video output is for those cases where there´s an antique TV laying around a kid can get his Raspberry PI working without having to go out and purchase a new LED flat panel...

... ok, I´ll bite... why don´t you want an hdmi ?
marcus

jahboater

Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:28 am

Yes, you do want hdmi... in my opinion the designers should not have included composite video on the card (but that´s another story).

The only reason for the composite video output is for those cases where there´s an antique TV laying around a kid can get his Raspberry PI working without having to go out and purchase a new LED flat panel...
I suspect it costs nothing, certainly in board space, now that it shares the same socket with the analogue audio out. Surely its helpful for classrooms in third world countries?
Pi4 8GB running PIOS64

Pablo_LG

Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:17 pm

I am certain it's not my TV being too antique because I have also tested it on my 66" LG smart TV. The reason I do not want HDMI is because I purchased a TFT monitor which only has composite in and I want to incorporate this monitor into a case. Yes, I have considered to just obtain another monitor with different input like DSI or buying an adapter. However, I live in a third world country (Belize to be exact.) And finding these kind of screens are very difficult unless I rip it out of an existing product that has it. The only other way is for me to order the screen and I rather not.

Pablo_LG

Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:07 pm

If anyone else has a clue on what I should do or try then please let me know because I would really like to get this monitor working

pksato

Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:25 pm

Pablo_LG wrote:The screen does turn on however and i get a flickering screen of all colors with a very faint image of part of the desktop and the image is just going wild. Can someone please help me out.
Can be a wrong cable.
Not all cable works, need a correct 4 section pin plug and wiring.
Check you cable wiring.
From sleeve to tip:
Video,Ground,Audio,Audio

Most cable have this wiring
Ground,Video,audio,audio
If use this type of cable, depending of the TV, you not get a image, or a unstable image like as described.

A wrong TV standard.
A wrong TV color system.
In what country do is?
Brand and model of TV set?

Pablo_LG

Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:32 am

So, i have found a solution to my problem using this link. http://www.instructables.com/id/Raspber ... /?ALLSTEPS

I would want to assume that it is a problem with the cables i was using which is strange since i bought three from different places and all produced the same effect. However, the method is convenient since i will be soldering wire directly to the pi to allow it to fit in a tiny case rather than having connections through the ports.

MarkHaysHarris777

Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:34 am

Pablo_LG wrote:So, i have found a solution to my problem using this link. http://www.instructables.com/id/Raspber ... /?ALLSTEPS

I would want to assume that it is a problem with the cables i was using which is strange since i bought three from different places and all produced the same effect. However, the method is convenient since i will be soldering wire directly to the pi to allow it to fit in a tiny case rather than having connections through the ports.
Excellent! Congratulations... this is good news!
marcus

Return to “General discussion”