dgordon42

Model A+ memory boost

Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:27 pm

According to Farnell, the Pi A+ has now got 512M of memory!
"Item coming soon" they say.
Link

Dave.

mikerr

Re: Model A+ memory boost

Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:45 pm

At long last ! poor little A+ had been unsettled by new baby pizero and its 512MB
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

davidcoton

Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:11 pm

mikerr wrote:At long last ! poor little A+ had been unsettled by new baby pizero and its 512MB
It will be worse if you buy an A+ Rev2 -- the old one will get really jealous :o :cry:
Signature retired

mattmiller

Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:47 pm

Arn't we all expecting the A2 to be

1. Called the A2 :)

2. Be a cutdown Pi2 with multi-core

or

3. Called the A3 and be a cutdown Pi3

W. H. Heydt

Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:34 am

Ha! I've been expecting this for over a year. Glad to see it finally arrived. I don't spot anything about it, but it should default to 1GHz as well, since all BCM2835s can do that now.

MCM is also showing them with 512MB and accepting "backorders".

W. H. Heydt

Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:50 am

mattmiller wrote:Arn't we all expecting the A2 to be
Not expecting an "A2" at all.
1. Called the A2 :)

2. Be a cutdown Pi2 with multi-core
Last year there was some expectation of a Pi2A (and a CM2). That is no longer the case.
3. Called the A3 and be a cutdown Pi3
I expect a new board to be called a "Pi3A" (and the semi-announced CM3). Not a "cut down" Pi3B. I expect it to be an A+ sized board with a BCM2837 SoC, moderately likely (but by no means certain) to have 1GB RAM. One might presume that it will also have the Pi3B style WiFi/BT. Notice that the WifFI/BT and antenna are mounted on a part of the board that is common to the B series boards and the A series boards. Like the Pi3B, the power and activity LEDs will have to move.

noggin

Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:00 am

Could the A+ be using the Zero's version of the single-core SoC with 512MB of RAM?

I think separately we're hoping for an A3 and a CM3.

The A+ still has a role as it is likely to consume less power than an A3 (as the single-core 32bit SoC draws less current than a quad-core 64bit one?)

fruitoftheloom

Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:08 am

noggin wrote:Could the A+ be using the Zero's version of the single-core SoC with 512MB of RAM?

The A+ still has a role as it is likely to consume less power than an A3 (as the single-core 32bit SoC draws less current than a quad-core 64bit one?)
The A / A+ / B / B+ / ZERO / CM ALL, yes ALL use the same BCM2835 SoC, it is only the PoP Memory they will have changed.

The only likely other change, which has been alluded to, is it will default to 1GHZ CPU like the ZERO, but the A+ has always had overclock capability, just like the B+ :D
Retired disgracefully.....

W. H. Heydt

Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:22 pm

noggin wrote:Could the A+ be using the Zero's version of the single-core SoC with 512MB of RAM?
Fruitoftheloom has addressed that in general. I just want to add that A+ (and the Model A before it) were and are using that SoC long before the Pi Zero was launched.
That is correct. The expected Pi3A and CM3 will arrive some time in the future.
That is the market segment I would see. Where you want (a) lower power, (b) you need less processing capability, and (c) you need on board power regulation and/or the CSI connector (because if you didn't need one or both of those, you'd probably be looking at a Pi Zero).

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:25 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:

The A / A+ / B / B+ / ZERO / CM ALL, yes ALL use the same BCM2835 SoC, it is only the PoP Memory they will have changed.

The only likely other change, which has been alluded to, is it will default to 1GHZ CPU like the ZERO, but the A+ has always had overclock capability, just like the B+ :D
The chips are all the same, so the ability to go to 1GHz has always been there, but experience has shown that they can now be safely clocked at 1Ghz as a default. There may have been slight improvements in the fab to make them more reliable at higher clocks, but AFAIK, no changes to the chip design.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

darkbibble

Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:44 pm

im hoping they do a 3A, as I really like my 3b and also want a smaller A to use as my experimenting board.
Q; How many Windows users does it take to fix a Linux problem??
A; Whats a Linux problem

W. H. Heydt

Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:38 pm

darkbibble wrote:im hoping they do a 3A, as I really like my 3b and also want a smaller A to use as my experimenting board.
A "smaller A" is a Pi Zero. has the same SoC as the A+, though. For experimenting, it's probably easier to use a B-series Pi. Once you have what you're trying to do down pat, then switch to an A-series Pi for the actual project, assuming the A-series board has the features you need for the project (it may not...).

darkbibble

Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:49 pm

I meant the A+ being the smaller board to the 3B, I know the zero is the smallest as I got one with the magpi magazine last year. im putting my zero into a robot to learn robotics with.
but I would love a A+ with wifi as it would cut down on usb dongles and hubs.

I will be getting one of the new A+ when released (hopefully soon) and then get the 3A when its released.

Im wanting to use a A+ for learning general electronics and programming with.
Q; How many Windows users does it take to fix a Linux problem??
A; Whats a Linux problem

jamesh

Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:38 pm

Just to confirm, the A+ is definitely going to 512MB RAM. The 256 device has gone end of line. Foundation not really making a big thing of it, there will be an official announcement sometime, but it's only a RAM bump, so not a huge event. Cost and everything else remains the same.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

W. H. Heydt

Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:49 pm

darkbibble wrote:I meant the A+ being the smaller board to the 3B, I know the zero is the smallest as I got one with the magpi magazine last year. im putting my zero into a robot to learn robotics with.
but I would love a A+ with wifi as it would cut down on usb dongles and hubs.
I *surmise* that the Pi3A will include the built-in WiFi/BT that the Pi3B has, but nothing has actually be said either way.
I will be getting one of the new A+ when released (hopefully soon) and then get the 3A when its released.
My typical source (MCM) is allowing orders. They have the status of the 512MB A+ as "on backorder". They don't appear to limiting quantity, either (I ordered two).
Im wanting to use a A+ for learning general electronics and programming with.
Really have to ask this... Why? The B-series have the same GPIO pins and can be faster (the B+ being the same speed). With the additional USB ports (not to mention the Ethernet jack), the B-series Pis are easier to set up for access to program. With an A+, you'll need a hub and--if using wired Ethernet--an adapter, plus more cables. In the end, the cost difference between an A+ and Pi3B is minimal.

W. H. Heydt

Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:52 pm

jamesh wrote:Just to confirm, the A+ is definitely going to 512MB RAM. The 256 device has gone end of line. Foundation not really making a big thing of it, there will be an official announcement sometime, but it's only a RAM bump, so not a huge event. Cost and everything else remains the same.
Not in the slightest surprised. Last time I had a chance to talk to Eben, he said that 256MB packages were getting hard to source. I'd laid out what I thought were good reasons to make the switch. I did expect the changeover sooner, though.

My only question is...will the boot process set a 1GHz default clock, or will it stay at 700MHz? I could see reasons for it either way...

gregeric

Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:08 pm

Presumably the A+512 will have a new board revision set, in which case the firmware can act on that & assume the soc is the 1GHz part, setting the default clocks & over_voltage similar to the Zero. Farnell are still describing it as having a 700MHz cpu & 400MHz RAM, but seeing as they are still stating it has an RCA video connector, I think we don't need take those parts of their spec verbatim.

W. H. Heydt

Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:53 pm

gregeric wrote:Presumably the A+512 will have a new board revision set, in which case the firmware can act on that & assume the soc is the 1GHz part, setting the default clocks & over_voltage similar to the Zero. Farnell are still describing it as having a 700MHz cpu & 400MHz RAM, but seeing as they are still stating it has an RCA video connector, I think we don't need take those parts of their spec verbatim.
I'm trying to think of a reason why it would get a revised number. It's really just a case of what memory package gets soldered in place and that wouldn't require *any* board change. Granted, it'd be nice and clean to get a new ID number, but I also can't see why the boot code couldn't look at the total memory after finding that the board is an A+ and if it's 512MB setting the clock to 1GHz instead of 700MHz. In any case, it can be "overclocked" through raspi-config by anyone who cares to do so.

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:21 pm

gregeric wrote:Presumably the A+512 will have a new board revision set, in which case the firmware can act on that & assume the soc is the 1GHz part, setting the default clocks & over_voltage similar to the Zero. Farnell are still describing it as having a 700MHz cpu & 400MHz RAM, but seeing as they are still stating it has an RCA video connector, I think we don't need take those parts of their spec verbatim.
I don't know where this concept came from. There is no 1 GHz part. Pretty much all BCM2835 chips can run at that speed.
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

W. H. Heydt

Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:29 pm

alexeames wrote:
I don't know where this concept came from. There is no 1 GHz part. Pretty much all BCM2835 chips can run at that speed.
As of last Fall, when the Pi Zero was launched, it was stated that *all* BCM2835 SoCs made will run at 1GHz, so it's not even a "pretty much all". It's "if it won't, it's defective". (Granted, that's a "going forward" condition...no guarantees, of course, for my 4 years old Model B Pis. Those are all "try it and see".)

Since all A+512 Pis fall after that announcement, any A+512 that *won't* run at 1GHz is--by definition--faulty.

DirkS

Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:40 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:I'm trying to think of a reason why it would get a revised number.
The old B rev 2.0 got the revision number bumped from 0004 to 000e when they increased the RAM from 256 to 512MB...

W. H. Heydt

Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:08 pm

DirkS wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote:I'm trying to think of a reason why it would get a revised number.
The old B rev 2.0 got the revision number bumped from 0004 to 000e when they increased the RAM from 256 to 512MB...
Actually, there were 3 revision numbers in that change, one for each manufacturer. 0004 to 000e, 0005 to 000f and 0006 to 000d. Point taken, though. So an internal revision number *might* happen.

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:31 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:
alexeames wrote:
As of last Fall, when the Pi Zero was launched, it was stated that *all* BCM2835 SoCs made will run at 1GHz, so it's not even a "pretty much all". It's "if it won't, it's defective".
Yes, but the "pretty much all" covers the BCM2835s that were produced before that. There is no new part, it's just greater confidence in the chips coming off the line. I have a very early Pi that I couldn't overclock to 1GHz. I chose my words carefully so as to cover all events, like any good programmer should (not that I am one). :)
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:52 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:I did expect the changeover sooner, though.
My understanding is that asside from the "success disaster" the A+ was a fairly slow seller. They presumablly wanted to work through their stock of 256MB chips before doing the upgrade.

gregeric

Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:28 pm

alexeames wrote:
Hi Alex - yes no change in part, just a change at some point from the majority OK @ 1GHz, to all tested OK @ 1GHz - info gleamed from Dom's post here: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid ... pid2171907

My point being that raising the default clock of Pi A+ with Rev 0012 might cause problems to a minority of users, but should be as solid on the new A+512 as it is on the Zero.

Return to “General discussion”