req

Re: The device as a server

Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:36 pm

Hello! I\'m new to hardware and to such hands-on projects, but the device looks fantastic. Would it be feasible to use the device as a development server that I can leave on at all times? I\'ve been wanting one for quite a while. I would use it like any other linux box running apache, ssh, mysql etc. Would that work? I\'d love smbd and a X desktop with fluxbox as well, but would they be too heavy?

Can\'t wait to start playing with the device when it is released and can\'t wait to start learning what I can do with it and how.

matt_heys

Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:44 pm

I think it should be fine for that. It\'s not an amazingly fast CPU however, so compiling massive amounts of C code might be a bit slow.

Are you mainly planning on developing web applications on a LAMP stack with something like PHP? should be fine if you are, that is one of the reasons I want one, write my own webapps.

kme

Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:58 pm

Mysql could easily max out the RAM, but the rest seems reasonable if your aren\'t too demanding.

req

Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:18 pm

Webapps are indeed mostly what I make, but I\'m interested in developing my skills in well, everything. If the pi can handle a lamp stack, it will be enough for whatever I want to try - graphics and cpu heavy things don\'t really feel like something that I\'d do for a long time.

kaedroho

Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:43 pm

I got a PC running ubuntu server, apache, mysql and ssh with 256 MB of RAM.
I just had to tweak mysqls caching settings to prevent it maxing the RAM.

yoonsikp

Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:06 pm

Just remember, the Raspberry Pi has a good gpu, so you might be looking at something more multimedia oriented

Skygod

Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:59 am

[quote]Quote from req on November 22, 2011, 19:36
Hello! I\'m new to hardware and to such hands-on projects, but the device looks fantastic. Would it be feasible to use the device as a development server that I can leave on at all times? I\'ve been wanting one for quite a while. I would use it like any other linux box running apache, ssh, mysql etc. Would that work? I\'d love smbd and a X desktop with fluxbox as well, but would they be too heavy?

Can\'t wait to start playing with the device when it is released and can\'t wait to start learning what I can do with it and how.[/quote]

A full LAMP server running on 256Mb is easily attainable and practiacl as that\'s all I have on my VPS with CentOS 5.5,

Running an X desktop as well would probably be impractical, but you can always run X client over ssh back to another system to handle most admin functions that you prefer to do through a GUI.

RadioactiveMouse

Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:06 am

I guess you could run node.js and other servers as well as the traditional LAMP stack ;)

I intend it to be a node daemon and possible switch to python system for system level stuff.

Pirx-Danford

Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:11 pm

You will have to alter the mysql and apache settings so they don\'t hog all the memory, but it should be perfectly possible to use it that way :)

Davespice
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:51 pm

I think it would make quite a good Subversion server actually, that just needs apache and you would probably want the repositories to be on a USB disk. Certainly enough processing power there for that.

Return to “General discussion”