MarkHaysHarris777

Epiphany Browser Crashes Rather Frequently Jessie PI3B

Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:01 am

Greetings, well, I'm back to Midori (at least for working on this site) because Epiphany is just too buggy; I used Epiphany all day (forced myself) and in an eight hour period it crashed about a dozen times. I experienced this same behavior on Wheezy too (PI 2B); now using Jessie (PI 3B). :oops:

I suspect the WebKit has some serious issues; sure wish it would get some attention. For many folks this is a show-stopper.

I have noticed something that you won't see readily unless you start Epiphany from an alternate desktop that was launched manually from the black vt1 screen (so that you can see the constant error messages coming from the browser, (mostly gtk errors of all kinds). I can't reproduce the crashes at will (seems kinda random) but the error messages from gtk are almost continuous (using nothing but this site, and maybe a tab or two for cut and paste purposes).

Epiphany runs like a beta test level first generation browser, which really boils down to being useless. We need to have chromium on here (some version of the chrome browser), or we need to help get some response to these crashing issues (seems to be happening to many people across the boards).

PS I have bumped up my gpu memory to 128 from 64; other than that this PI is a stock Jessie...

regards,
marcus
marcus
:ugeek:

gkreidl

Re: Epiphany Browser Crashes Rather Frequently Jessie PI3B

Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:37 am

The webkit3 engine used by epiphany (and kweb3) is heavily patched to enable HW acceleration of video/jpeg-images and scrolling and also includes a partial implementation of the Javascript JIT compiler (and lots of patches in other packages).
This is an "unfinished" project, created by developers from collabora and paid for by the Foundation. It contains quite a number of bugs like memory corruption, crashes, blocking etc.

I'm not sure if payments have been stopped or if those developers simply don't like debugging. Some well know bugs are in the system for about a year or more and haven't been fixed for a long time. For quite some time I have had email contact with some of the collabora developers and reported bugs to them but I have given up meanwhile.

That's the main reason why kweb comes in two variations: kweb using the "official" webkit1 engine, which is rock stable, and kweb3 using the patched webkit engine. kweb3 is a bit more stable than epiphany, because I have disabled HW scrolling (which causes a lot of trouble).

BTW, the same is true for some gstreamer1.0 packages also supported by the collabora people. I've reported two bad bugs; one has been fixed after I've sent them the fixes myself (in the omx module), the other one waits for a fix since October: I've opened an issue at https://github.com/RPi-Distro/repo/issues/4 and "XECDesign" (from the Foundation) promised to inform the collabora people. Nothing has been fixed so far.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

MarkHaysHarris777

Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:01 am

gkreidl wrote:That's the main reason why kweb comes in two variations: kweb using the "official" webkit1 engine, which is rock stable, and kweb3 using the patched webkit engine. kweb3 is a bit more stable than epiphany, because I have disabled HW scrolling (which causes a lot of trouble).
Thanks, Guenter. I guess its time to give kweb a try. Are there plans for getting it uploaded to the repositories? Sounds like you are as frustrated as everyone else, regards the cavalier attitude of the colabora people regards their bug reports. I've always believed that a bug report was the top priority (always was for me); not everyone has the same priorities.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
marcus

gkreidl

Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:23 am

MarkHaysHarris777 wrote:
gkreidl wrote:That's the main reason why kweb comes in two variations: kweb using the "official" webkit1 engine, which is rock stable, and kweb3 using the patched webkit engine. kweb3 is a bit more stable than epiphany, because I have disabled HW scrolling (which causes a lot of trouble).
Thanks, Guenter. I guess its time to give kweb a try. Are there plans for getting it uploaded to the repositories? Sounds like you are as frustrated as everyone else, regards the cavalier attitude of the colabora people regards their bug reports. I've always believed that a bug report was the top priority (always was for me); not everyone has the same priorities.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
It's now also available from kusti8*s repository, the same that provides the chromium-browser and kusti8's chromium extension package to play web video with omxplayerGUI.
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download

pxgator

Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:04 pm

@ MarkHaysHarris777

You might consider giving iceweasel a spin. I use it for several hours
a day on a pi3B and it very seldom crashes. In fact it's been over a month
since I've had a crash.It's much faster and more capable than epiphany
and on my overclocked pi3B youtube videos are mostly smooth.
Last edited by pxgator on Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So what's all this RPi stuff anyhow? Well folks, it's a feat of engineering from
the UK almost as remarkable as the De Havilland Mosquito and the Colossus.

gkreidl

Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:20 pm

pxgator wrote:@ MarkHaysHarris777

You might consider giving iceweasel a spin. I use it for several hours
a day on a pi3B and it very seldom crashes. In fact it's been over a month
since I've had a crash.It's much faster and more capable than epiphany
and on the pi3B youtube videos are mostly smooth.
Youtube video is complete crap in iceweasel. Otherwise it's working fine and has the best Javascript performance of all RPi browsers.

pxgator

Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:39 pm

gkreidl wrote:
Youtube video is complete crap in iceweasel
Well it works well here....maybe your ISP or your setup is complete crap??
So what's all this RPi stuff anyhow? Well folks, it's a feat of engineering from

gkreidl

Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:55 pm

pxgator wrote:
gkreidl wrote:
50M Mbit download. i can play web video perfectly well both in kweb (software only) and in kweb3/epiphany (HW acceleration) and also in omxplayerGUi, of course (any one-stream resolution up to 1080p60), so it cannot be a network issue.
Iceweaselc produces lagging crap with lots of lost frames. Obviously some people cannot see the difference.

pxgator

Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:08 pm

Actually I can see the difference....maybe you should re-read my
post.....videos are mostly smooth.

gkreidl

Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:28 pm

pxgator wrote:Actually I can see the difference....maybe you should re-read my
post.....videos are mostly smooth.
OK, what you call "mostly smooth" I call "unwatchable". My standards are obviously different.
And from your other posts I assume that you have overclocked your RPi3, which may make a little difference.

Higgs

Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:47 pm

Previously I would power on my PC to watch Youtube vids, but Chromium with the OMXPlayer add-on makes the RPi usable for me.

I had installed kweb, but I had the same issues probably related to the backend webkit.

The only issue with Chromium I've noticed is that when you choose a Youtube vid, you have to stop it before you click the button for the OMXPlayer, otherwise you get a doubling of the audio behind the OMXPlayer screen as the video continues to run in the background Chromium browser.

pxgator

Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:03 pm

gkreidl wrote:
OK, what you call "mostly smooth" I call "unwatchable". My standards are obviously different.
And from your other posts I assume that you have overclocked your RPi3, which may make a little difference.
Thank you Sir for a reasonable reply.
Yes it is overclocked along with other speedups and it does make quite a
difference. The only drawback is that a heatsink and fan were required.
However it is rock solid stable and everything simply runs faster.
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 6&start=50
Last edited by pxgator on Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kusti8

Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:21 pm

Higgs wrote:Previously I would power on my PC to watch Youtube vids, but Chromium with the OMXPlayer add-on makes the RPi usable for me.

I had installed kweb, but I had the same issues probably related to the backend webkit.

The only issue with Chromium I've noticed is that when you choose a Youtube vid, you have to stop it before you click the button for the OMXPlayer, otherwise you get a doubling of the audio behind the OMXPlayer screen as the video continues to run in the background Chromium browser.
I'm aware of that and when I get some time I'll look into it.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

MarkHaysHarris777

Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:05 pm

pxgator wrote:@ MarkHaysHarris777

You might consider giving iceweasel a spin.
I appreciate that tip too, thank you! Having a few options for web browsing is a positive; and particularly with the default state of Raspberry PI being Epiphany, and|or Midori (I don't get it).
marcus

TideMan

Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:57 pm

I gave Epiphany a good try, but I found using it very frustrating. Websites crashed for no apparent reason and I couldn't figure out how to fix it.
So, I've changed to Iceweasel which works fine (on my Rpi3). It looks just like Firefox on my PCs, so I can find my way around it easily, and using Xmarks I can sync my bookmarks across all machines.

gkreidl

Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:47 am

Higgs wrote: ...

Use kweb instead of kweb3 (which uses the same engine as epiphany).

DougieLawson

Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:20 am

pxgator wrote:
gkreidl wrote:
That's exceedingly unlikely, because Herr Kreidl has written his own browser, so he probably knows what he's talking about.

If you have a RPI2 or RPI3 it's a no-brainer to use Kusti's version of Chromium.
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=121195
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Return to “General discussion”