an internet stream at full screen hd?

thanks

V

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: streaming video off the internet

Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:54 pm

In the medium term it should be able to do that. Not sure whether it will at launch.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

aeiah

Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:07 pm

there isn't an arm version of flash. whilst this isnt too much of a problem for youtube (since it can present you with an html5/mp4 alternative), a lot of other random video sites ones won't.

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:12 pm

There's a thread here somewhere about the death of Flash - Adobe are stopping supporting Flash for mobile, which is likely to have the effect of killing off Flash on other devices too. We've seen a lot of websites move over to other players, and we expect this to continue, so there's not a lot of point in our putting in the money and engineering resource into supporting Flash video.

(You'll still be able to see vector Flash, so all those ads you love to hate will still appear when you use the Raspi.)
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

csaba2

Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:23 pm

If no flash you can always use youtube-dl phyton script to get a youtube(maybe some other) link(maybe you need youtube cookies) and fuel it to mplayer(or whatever we will use).

ErvKosch

Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:07 pm

Along these lines I was thinking about setting up a Roku like device for some internal projects like streaming training videos without a PC, DVD's or VCR*. Really all the device would need to do is load up a single window with a single border-less webkit or chrome instance and let HTML5's canvas and video tag do most of the work.

The real question then is: how well does the Raspberry Pi do HTML5 video play back? That gets sticky because of the different resolutions and codecs. I kinda think the answer will be we'll have to wait and see and not panic. The GPU binary I'm sure will be updated several times in the next few months.

* You would be surprised at how many government mandated videos are still only available on VHS.

csaba2

Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:18 pm

You have to wait to get gpu codec support settled for html5 playback. Liz might tell you more about it.

Chris

Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:37 am

Quote from liz on November 23, 2011, 13:12
There's a thread here somewhere about the death of Flash - Adobe are stopping supporting Flash for mobile, which is likely to have the effect of killing off Flash on other devices too. We've seen a lot of websites move over to other players, and we expect this to continue, so there's not a lot of point in our putting in the money and engineering resource into supporting Flash video.

(You'll still be able to see vector Flash, so all those ads you love to hate will still appear when you use the Raspi.)

PREVENT VECTOR FLASH THEN!!

Return to “General discussion”