LycanthroLabs

Anyone willing to be a test subject?

Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:23 am

Hell all...

My name is Kino, I have been working with Linux since Slackware 3.0 and always had a thing for tiny systems and small distros.

Anyway, I put together something based on Raspbian - it is a little short of calling it its own distro, but it is more than a "theme" package - I call it LycanthroPi :?

It is a minimal desktop OS, designed to do about 99% of what most people do with a computer... it is an Openbox desktop and is heavily influenced by Crunch Bang. I have a "build script" that pulls all the packages from Raspbian and makes some configuration changes - I have been running it for a while, everything seems to work well and it is pretty responsive.

I am looking for a few folks that would be willing to run it on their RPi and give me some constructive feedback - you have to be willing to do a fresh install of the current Raspbian Lite and run the script to build the full system, it takes about a half hour total on my crappy DSL line (and the / partition in on a separate HDD, faster).

If you are interested and want to provide some input and ideas, please let me know...

Desktop Scrotshot - https://goo.gl/photos/SzjynRJy7iTr5FsV7

ETA: Yes, WiFi and Bluetooth both work... with the onboard hardware and with a few different USB dongles that I have tested.

java

Re: Anyone willing to be a test subject?

Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:50 am

You are tempting me, but I am not sure I really have the time to do something like this justice.

Cancelor

Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:51 am

Yeh sure, I'll give it a try :)
Can't find the thread you want? Try googling : YourSearchHere site:raspberrypi.org

LycanthroLabs

Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:17 pm

Cancelor - sounds good!

PM me an email and I will send a tarball :)
Laeti Vescimur Nos Subacturis

Heater

Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:17 pm

No.

I have no idea who you are or if I can trust your OS to not be back-doored to the NSA or the Republic of China or wherever.
Last edited by Heater on Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

LycanthroLabs

Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:28 pm

I ain't even got a garage... you can call home and ask my wife! ;)

Seriously, it's a bash script and some flat text config files... most folks can look at it and see what it is doing: getting bona fide packages from the Raspbian server and configuring Openbox, tilda, conky, tint2, networking, etc...

If you are not comfortable with it, that's cool...
Laeti Vescimur Nos Subacturis

Heater

Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:45 pm

LycanthroLabs,
Seriously, it's a bash script and some flat text config files... most folks can look at it and see what it is doing:
Cool. So stick it up on github or other place we can all inspect it from. And down load it.

I don't mean to imply you have bad intentions. As you know the net is rife with viruses, trojans, and malware. Mine was only a heads up that people should take care.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

Jednorozec

Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:12 pm

I wouldn't want to run this during a full moon.
The most important leg of a three legged stool is the one that's missing.
It's called thinking. Why don't you try it sometime?

TrapdoorSmoke

Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:33 pm

Heater wrote:No.

I have no idea who you are or if I can trust your OS to not be back-doored to the NSA or the Republic of China or where ever.
Completely Right, Heater Not Unless you completely build everything from source.
And the config.txt could be overclocked possibly turn the Pi into a Bomb :shock:
And Destroy My HardDrive With All My Movies :shock: :shock:

Return to “General discussion”