kylerichards89

Micro-SD on Raspberry Pi 3

Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:10 pm

I received a Raspberry Pi 3 today and noticed the Micro-SD slot is extremely tight and doesn't have the signature "click and lock." Is this new with all the Pi 3s? I surely hope not, it seems a lot less reliable and honestly very cheap( even for a $35 board)!

B.Goode

Re: Micro-SD on Raspberry Pi 3

Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:18 pm

See https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspbe ... 3-on-sale/

In the comments, from Liz Upton:
Actually, we had a LOT of complaints about the clicky SD cards. A lot (an awful lot) of people found that when handling their Pis they’d accidentally pop the SD card out – often while they were writing, so causing corruption. Because for so many people the Pi is something they put inside projects and handle a lot, it was a significant problem, hence the change.
So it's a deliberate feature of an RPi3.

lordbaronmarshall

Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:12 pm

It is a personal preference kind of thing. I did like the Pi2 click in and out, as well. I think the decision was made though, that with the Pi3 being more capable, that users would not be changing the sdcard as often as the Pi2. So they may have gone with a more permanent 'sticky, tight' slot(man, that sounds bad) to prevent the accidental ejection(just sounds worse) of the sdcard when being handled(and worse).
Of course, the Pi3 being new on the market, those of us with one are doing a lot of clean installs on multiple cards to find out what is working and what's not, so it becomes frustrating. I have to take mine completely out of the case just to get the card out, even though the case has an opening for it. It's just to tight and I have to get a better grip to pull it(thought I was done with that kind of language). I've gone through 5 different OS and done a reinstall at least a dozen times, since the Pi3 is getting so hot its destroying the data(yes I have heat sinks).
As time goes on and we get things set the way we like it, then it will become rare to remove the micro sdcard and then the tight slot will prevent problems. For now, it's an annoying obstacle.

kylerichards89

Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:19 pm

Thanks!

Whiznot

Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:41 pm

I like the new SD slot but I needed to trim a small bit of the plastic base of my Flirc case for easy removal. Five minutes with a utility knife--problem solved.

pxgator

Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:59 am

Tweezers work well for removing the card on a RPi 3.
So what's all this RPi stuff anyhow? Well folks, it's a feat of engineering from
the UK almost as remarkable as the De Havilland Mosquito and the Colossus.

qwertymodo

Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:36 pm

Man, I understand the design change, but as a user with a case where the SD card fits flush to the case edge (to prevent the accidental ejects, and also because it's just a lot cleaner that way), this change really annoys me. I'm gonna have to trash my case in order to access the SD card, or else dismantle the entire thing every time I need to pull the card. Really poor choice, IMO.

Heater

Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:47 pm

I think it's a brilliant move. Having the SD card pop out any time a gnat sneezed on it was very annoying. Better yet would be that it was flush with the edge of the PCB when inserted instead of sticking out precariously.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

pxgator

Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:11 am

Edit: qwertymodo wrote:
I'm gonna have to trash my case in order to access the SD card, or else dismantle the entire thing every time I need to pull the card. Really poor choice, IMO.
You don't need to trash anything. Tweezers with narrow ends will easily grab your
card for removal.
Last edited by pxgator on Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
So what's all this RPi stuff anyhow? Well folks, it's a feat of engineering from
the UK almost as remarkable as the De Havilland Mosquito and the Colossus.

rpdom

Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:02 am

pxgator wrote:
I'm gonna have to trash my case in order to access the SD card, or else dismantle the entire thing every time I need to pull the card. Really poor choice, IMO.
You don't need to trash anything. Tweezers with narrow ends will easily grab your
card for removal.
Or get a thin piece of sticky tape. Stick one end to the top of the card, fold the tape over, allowing it to stick out from the card by just enough to grab hold of, and stick the other end to the bottom of the card. Then you have a handy tab to pull get the card out.

Cancelor

Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:19 am

:( I luv the clicky one.

Only the complainers complain, everyone else was happy.
Can't find the thread you want? Try googling : YourSearchHere site:raspberrypi.org

Heater

Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:25 am

Cancelor,
That is a totally meaningless statement. Or am I missing a point somewhere?

Cancelor

Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:16 pm

Liz was reported as saying:
Actually, we had a LOT of complaints about the clicky SD cards. A lot (an awful lot) of people found that when handling their Pis they’d accidentally pop the SD card out – often while they were writing, so causing corruption. Because for so many people the Pi is something they put inside projects and handle a lot, it was a significant problem, hence the change.
I'm suggesting the majority of people are happy, changing direction just because some complain is not sensible.
Can't find the thread you want? Try googling : YourSearchHere site:raspberrypi.org

Pithagoros

Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:12 pm

Heater wrote:Cancelor,
That is a totally meaningless statement. Or am I missing a point somewhere?
It makes sense, he means that people that are happy will quietly get on with something, and you will only hear from the people that complain because they are not happy, even if the unhappy are the minority.
This leads to: "the squeaky wheel gets the oil/grease".

Not saying that this is what happened in this case, just attempting to clarify.

Heater

Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:28 pm

That much is obvious, those with a problem are more likely to shout for a change than those without a problem shouting for no change.

But it does not actually tell us anything. Was that 10% of people who were annoyed by springy SD card holders or 90% or what?

We may never know.

Perhaps it was just Liz that was annoyed by it so it got fixed :)

Rive

Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:32 pm

I am actually pleased with the friction sdcard slot (I am not a big fan of the spring loaded slots as they tend to pop out alot on our tablets).
...since the Pi3 is getting so hot its destroying the data (yes I have heat sinks).
As for the heat, it has already been determined that heatsinks alone are insufficient on the pi3 (unless you are using it for light purposes). It doesn't take much at all to push past 80C. Sounds like you need a fan and ventilation. if you cant move the heat off the Soc/heatsinks, then they are effectively useless.

see: viewtopic.php?p=948161#p948161
DNPNWO

playinmyblues

Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:17 pm

kylerichards89 wrote:I received a Raspberry Pi 3 today and noticed the Micro-SD slot is extremely tight and doesn't have the signature "click and lock." Is this new with all the Pi 3s? I surely hope not, it seems a lot less reliable and honestly very cheap( even for a $35 board)!
Today was the day I finally got around to booting up my Raspberry Pi 3. I used an uSD card that I purchased on sale - a Verbatim 16GB, class 10. I had another of the same card and found it a little hard to put into my phone. The other card I had I used for the RPi 3 and at first it would not go in at all. I pulled out the uSD card from my RPi B+ to see if it had the same problem. It was not a problem at all. I wondered if I had broken the slot on the new RPi 3 as it did not pop out.

After some thought on the problem, I think that maybe the uSD cards I purchased on sale were the price they were because they are a little on the thick side. I took the card that was hard to insert and inserted it and removed it a number of times. It works a little better now but no to my liking. In the end, I tried another card of another brand which works very well.

By the way, I like the friction fit. However, for the RPi B+, I designed my own base for the computer and printed it myself.

mi7chy

Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:40 pm

I'd take reliability over convenience any day. Plus, the new case I just ordered will make accessibility a non-issue.

http://www.modmypi.com/raspberry-pi/cas ... ry-pi-case

pjs2016

Mon May 23, 2016 6:13 pm

Tip for Raspberry Pi 3 on getting the card out easily:

I have mine in a commonly sold case, the black one with the removable top. I struggled for 5-10 minutes trying to figure out a good way to remove the card. With this case, you can't even get tweezers around the card. One side of the card is right against the edge of the case. I kept trying to use my finger nail behind the little raised edge of the card and no matter how hard I tried I couldn't get the thing out. I had to take the board out of the case to remove the card.

Then I found a very quick and easy trick. I put the point of a sharp knife (in this case, a foldable razor knife) behind the raised edge and, without pressing down, slid the card right out. Pressing down on the card is what made it hard to pull out, when I was using my finger nail. If the edge gets really scuffed up from the knife maybe put some super glue on it.

Return to “General discussion”