KeithSloan
Posts: 321
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:09 pm

Cups & HP Business Inkjet 1200

Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:09 pm

I had a problem with my Pi following a power failure and decided to rebuild my system using Jessie rather than Wheezy.

I had it working as a Cups print server for an HP Business Inkjet 1200n with Wheezy. Installed a long time ago so not sure how I got it working.

Under Jessie cups installation when asked for the model, HP Business Inkjet 1200 does not show up. Tried entering Model 2220 which allows me to print a test page from cups, but not from any of the machines I am trying to serve
ie. ipp://pi-two.local:631/printers/HP_Business_Inkjet_1200

User avatar
Rive
Posts: 586
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:21 pm
Location: USA

Re: Cups & HP Business Inkjet 1200

Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:31 pm

for HP, try:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install hplip
sudo hp-setup -i
DNPNWO

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 20487
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: Cups & HP Business Inkjet 1200

Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:34 pm

KeithSloan wrote:I had a problem with my Pi following a power failure and decided to rebuild my system using Jessie rather than Wheezy.

I had it working as a Cups print server for an HP Business Inkjet 1200n with Wheezy. Installed a long time ago so not sure how I got it working.

Under Jessie cups installation when asked for the model, HP Business Inkjet 1200 does not show up. Tried entering Model 2220 which allows me to print a test page from cups, but not from any of the machines I am trying to serve
ie. ipp://pi-two.local:631/printers/HP_Business_Inkjet_1200
You are likely missing the HPLIP package which when installed should offer more drivers in CUPS set up:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install hplip
Retired disgracefully.....

KeithSloan
Posts: 321
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:09 pm

Re: Cups & HP Business Inkjet 1200

Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:19 pm

Rive wrote:for HP, try:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install hplip
sudo hp-setup -i
That got me further, but when I do a test print from ubuntu the job gets status held for authentication. If I right click and authenticate it does not work.

But any way I think I have to change some option in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf
In the bit that follows

# All printer operations require a printer operator to authenticate...

KeithSloan
Posts: 321
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:09 pm

Re: Cups & HP Business Inkjet 1200

Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:21 pm

KeithSloan wrote:
Rive wrote:for HP, try:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install hplip
sudo hp-setup -i
That got me further, but when I do a test print from ubuntu the job gets status held for authentication. If I right click and authenticate it does not work.

But any way I think I have to change some option in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf
In the bit that follows

# All printer operations require a printer operator to authenticate...
Selecting share printer fixed things.

Return to “General discussion”