Haris1977

Re: STICKY: PINN - An enhanced version of NOOBS.

Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:16 pm

Haris1977 wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:07 am
I have problem installing retropie OR recalbox. I use network to download my images. If i install e.g Librelec + recalbox (or libreelec and retropie) i m stuck on these messages:

recalboxOS-rpi1: Creating filesystem (ext4) 100%

while in retropie:

Retropie1: Creating filesystem (fat) 0%.

If i install LE with e.g picore i get no problem. Doesnt mind if it is sd card or in usb either. I have a rasp 1 model B rev2. Maybe there is a prob with these 2 images?

PS1 If i install ONLY recalbox (i assume retropie too) seems to work. So i guess the prob starts when i try to download extra os's along with recalbox/retropie. It stucks in "Creating filesystem" image.. :|
PS2 If i install 3 os's (e.g LE+Raspbian+Recalbox) the system works! :o Too strange..

procount

Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:20 pm

Haris1977 wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:07 am
I have problem installing retropie OR recalbox. I use network to download my images. If i install e.g Librelec + recalbox (or libreelec and retropie) i m stuck on these messages:

recalboxOS-rpi1: Creating filesystem (ext4) 100%

while in retropie:

Retropie1: Creating filesystem (fat) 0%.

If i install LE with e.g picore i get no problem. Doesnt mind if it is sd card or in usb either. I have a rasp 1 model B rev2. Maybe there is a prob with these 2 images?

PS1 If i install ONLY recalbox (i assume retropie too) seems to work. So i guess the prob starts when i try to download extra os's along with recalbox/retropie. It stucks in "Creating filesystem" image.. :|
I often install many OSes to a USB drive at the same time when I test them out, without problem. I'll try this particular combination again, but it won't be til I get back from travelling.
PS2 If i install 3 os's (e.g LE+Raspbian+Recalbox) the system works! :o Too strange..
Even stranger!
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

Haris1977

Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:54 pm

My "problems" continue: When i start raspbian (i have installed it on my usb) i get a:

[sda] Asking for cashe data failed
[sda] Assuming drive cache: write through

and then a blue raspbian screen with: Could not expant filesystem, please try raspi-config or rc_gui. Boot and root partitions are on different devices.

When i reboot and run raspbian again i get a black screen. So does this mean that i have to use sd card for both of boot and root partitions?

DarkPlatinum

Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:07 pm

procount wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:08 pm
DarkPlatinum wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:04 pm
Also having another problem here, I installed raspbian and retropie from my USB drive, but if i want to install a OS from PINN, it says it will overwrite existing data. What can i do to stop Raspbian and retropie from wanting to update, plus also install other OS from wifi resources?
As stated above, you cannot keep adding more OSes as the disk is partitioned on the first install.
If you have reserved some disk space by adding some ProjectSpaces, you can replace a Project Space with a new OS from the maintenance menu. select all the OSes you want to install from the main menu, select the ProjectSpaces you want to replace from the maintenance menu, and choose Replace.
See https://github.com/procount/pinn/blob/m ... ect-spaces and https://github.com/procount/pinn/blob/m ... idual-oses

There is nothing to stop you installing all of your OSes at once: from your USB drive and from the wifi - just make sure you are connected to the wifi and the USB storage at the same time when you install them. Only the most recent OS from all sources is shown and local copies take precedence over remote sources if the dates are the same. Check the icon at the far right of each OS to determine where it will be installed from.
Thanks for this information! Basically what i did is, downloaded and installed all OS i wanted, then also added 9 project spaces for future OSes if i wanted more. One more thing. When i downloaded a new OS, i changed the password for it using the PINN interface. For some reason the Password did not change?
1 * Raspberry Pi Zero W, 1 * Raspberry Pi 2, 1 * Raspberry Pi 3 1 * Raspberry Pi 3B + :mrgreen:

DarkPlatinum

Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:10 pm

Haris1977 wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:54 pm
My "problems" continue: When i start raspbian (i have installed it on my usb) i get a:

[sda] Asking for cashe data failed
[sda] Assuming drive cache: write through

and then a blue raspbian screen with: Could not expant filesystem, please try raspi-config or rc_gui. Boot and root partitions are on different devices.

When i reboot and run raspbian again i get a black screen. So does this mean that i have to use sd card for both of boot and root partitions?
Uh I dont think so? Im using PINN on a SD card, and have installed Raspbian onto my 1 TB external HDD. No problems in booting up... Why not try reinstalling Raspbian?
1 * Raspberry Pi Zero W, 1 * Raspberry Pi 2, 1 * Raspberry Pi 3 1 * Raspberry Pi 3B + :mrgreen:

Haris1977

Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:21 pm

Have already tried that but to no avail. Same problem.

My only thought: I used a rather old usb 2.0 8 GB stick (7612 MB in PINN) and my 3 os's occupied 7469 MB :? Maybe that's why? Not enough space?
Last edited by Haris1977 on Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DarkPlatinum

Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:26 pm

Haris1977 wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:21 pm
Have already tried that but to no avail. Same problem.

My only thought: I used a rather old usb 2.0 8 GB stick (7612 MB in PINN) and my 3 os's occupied 7469 MB :? Maybe that's why? Not enough room?
Is the Raspbian Install a custom image or a new Raspbian image?

Haris1977

Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:30 pm

It is the network image

DarkPlatinum

Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:47 pm

Haris1977 wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:30 pm
It is the network image
Hmm.... Im afraid i can't help you there. If it was a custom image i would ask you to see if the image was actually booting. If procount can't solve it the only other way i can tell you to try is making a custom image and install it using the tutorial procount has.

Haris1977

Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:55 pm

I will try to install ONLY raspbian on my usb tomorrow to check if this is a space issue.

procount

Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:28 am

@Haris1977
1. Raspbian should not be asking to expand the filesystem in noobs/pinn install.
2. Raspbian needs about 8gb these days on its own, so try just installing that to see if it is a space issue.
3. Better to use stock tested OSes before rolling your own custom ones.
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

Haris1977

Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:25 am

I used an other usb stick (32GB, usb 3.0) and everything installed correctly. So yes, it was a space issue as i thought..

I think PINN (which is a mix of berryboot - noobs - matt huisman's addon and Steve Smith's project) is almost perfect. One last thing i d love to see is the OS's rename option.

I also think that @procount should add disable_overscan=1 option in PINN's config.txt file as default (to get rid of the black bars) plus a custom wallpaper like this one here (as an example, i use that):

https://ibb.co/chRFx9

davidcoton

Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:11 am

Haris1977 wrote: I also think that @procount should add disable_overscan=1 option in PINN's config.txt file as default
The default must be the "safe" option, the one that will not put anything off screen, under any circumstances. I don't know if your proposed setting would risk that, but if it does, it's a non-starter. If you need the other setting, you can always change it. You might be in the 99% majority, but in this case the needs of the other 1% are paramount.
"Thanks for saving my life." See https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1327656#p1327656
“Raspberry Pi is a trademark of the Raspberry Pi Foundation”

Haris1977

Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:41 am

davidcoton wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:11 am
Haris1977 wrote: You might be in the 99% majority, but in this case the needs of the other 1% are paramount.
I think you are right on that. It was just a suggestion :D Besides, in my other 56 inch screen i need to play with some other settings like overscan_left, right etc.

I ve installed PINN on my raspi 2 but i still have the "raspberrypi-firmware soc:firmware: Get Throttled mailbox call failed" line when PINN boots. Anyone knows how to get rid of it? Maybe that means that my firmware is too old? :|

procount

Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:10 am

Don't worry about that error message. There is nothing we can do about it.
Previously that message would pop up repeatedly every few seconds but they made a firmware change so it only produces the error message once now. But such an error message is useful, it's just a shame it displays here!

It occurs because PINN uses a new version of the kernel that is linked to new firmware for the 3B+. But If I use that firmware with older OSes, they won't load. So I downgrade the firmware automatically to play safe, but the old firmware does not support the get_throttled function - hence the error message. But it's not used anyway, so don't worry about it.

I think if you upgrade the firmware, (on the maintenance or archive menu) it might go away, but some OSes may not load. You'll have to try it to see if it affects you. If it does, just downgrade again.

Haris1977

Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:38 am

Thanks for the explanation @procount :D I wont mess with it - besides my 21:9 TV totally "hides'' this message. :mrgreen:

Any news about the rename thing? Is it on your to-do list?

DarkPlatinum

Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:42 pm

Haris1977 wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:25 am
One last thing i d love to see is the OS's rename option.
Yes tis would be a good feature, for example if you created a copy of your Raspbian image, you could have on as "Overclocked Raspbian" or "Raspbian Main".

procount

Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:03 am

I think the "rename" option is a good idea, especially with the ability to install multiple versions of the same OS now, otherwise it will be difficult to tell them apart.

But is it really a "rename" function, or an additional "nickname"?
Does it still need to be linked to the underlying OS for reinstall purposes (or other new and as yet undisclosed features)?
I shall have to think carefully, but comments are welcome.

Haris1977

Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:00 am

Dont think complicated (at least for now). I was talking about the rename os option that berryboot has. Like this image i ve uploaded (see below). It will still be the same os - but we can change the name that appears in the OS boot dialog. I guess this can be done through PINN's RGUI (it can be added in maintenance tab where the config.txt and (or) the cmdline options are now).

https://ibb.co/fWiCUp
Last edited by Haris1977 on Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

procount

Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:22 am

Yes I know, but unlike in Berryboot, the name of an OS in PINN is used as a reference for many things : The tar.xz distribution files, the flavour config files, the icon name, the folder name, etc etc. So to simply change the name will break a lot of things. That's why I'm thinking of adding the "nickname" as a purely aesthetic change for display, but maintaining the existing functionality and linkage to the original distribution files to identify when newer versions are available.

To change the real name would involve changing the names of everything based on that name and creating a totally new OS that is no longer linked to its source distribution files. But maybe there is a use case for that as well....

Haris1977

Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:26 am

procount wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:22 am
That's why I'm thinking of adding the "nickname" as a purely aesthetic change for display
That would be nice then :D Same result ;)

procount

Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:30 am

Added to my evergrowing list.... ;)

DarkPlatinum

Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:40 pm

procount wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:30 am
Added to my evergrowing list.... ;)
Everyone appericiates your hard work! :D

DarkPlatinum

Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:17 pm

Wondering if I could post the tutorial of custom OSes on my website. My website does not recieve many views, but PINN is not widely known, so hopefully when someone searches for something like PINN, my website could help your application be known a little better. I would give your credit of course.

procount

Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:41 am

I don't see a problem with that

Return to “General discussion”