SeNS

Re: PINN - An enhanced version of NOOBS.

Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:39 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:29 am
Now to your original question, have you tried NoobS ?? I have not personally used recently, but if an active internet connection is present W10IOTC was offered for RPi 2B & 3B:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/noobs/

https://github.com/raspberrypi/noobs/bl ... /README.md
Yes, of course I did (actually, I came here, to PINN after trying NOOB). All instructions about installing W10 IoT via NOOB, including "official" Micro$oft's are outdated, NOOB also don't have W10 IoT option now :(

So, I don't expect to get any help from MS or MSDN forums (I know that stuff for a very long-long time). The only hope is PINN developer; probably he already experimented (before releasing) with all supported OS'es and can provide an useful advise.

Internet (including this forum) are full of useless and almost stupid advises about "incompatible" sd-cards or "incompatible" power supplies but it's definitely not a my case, I have powerful enough power supplies (2A, 2.5A), fast enough sd-cards (SDHC UHS-I class 10 SanDisk 16 GB), and my RPi model B is working seamlessly (no single issue discovered!) almost two years on Raspbian (I'm running Apache with some useful apps, to control my X10 and thermometer, web-cam and some other stuff).
WBR, SeNS

SeNS

Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:07 am

So, I ended up buying RPi 3 on Amazon (found a nice deal , just $14.50). According to MSDN forum feedback, there are no issues experienced with RPi 3 & W10 IoT.
WBR, SeNS

bensimmo

Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:30 am

Microsoft are happy with the Pi, they still release Insider Previews (should try these over the release).
They have recently developed a Pi emulator too.
Though none of this is PINN related and PINN shouldn't be needed, it just a nice alternative to NOOBS.

As a side is AIY with PINN yet, I've lost track.

davidcoton

Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:05 pm

SeNS wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:07 am
So, I ended up buying RPi 3 on Amazon (found a nice deal , just $14.50). According to MSDN forum feedback, there are no issues experienced with RPi 3 & W10 IoT.
This reply is probably too late, you have almost certainly realised the problem. The PINN OSs are listed in this topic here. Win10IoT is clearly shown as Pi 2/3 only.
"If it ain't broke, fix it until it is."
“Raspberry Pi is a trademark of the Raspberry Pi Foundation”
The Pink Unicorn is a symbol of commitment to sensible discussion of future versions of the Raspberry Pi ™

procount

Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:41 pm

AFAIK WinIoT is still supported and listed in NOOBS & PINN if you have a Pi2 or Pi3. I tried it last time someone reported it not working and it worked fine then. In PINN it's somewhere near the bottom of the list so you have to scroll down (maybe obvious to you but just in case :) )

Half of the installation of WinIoT is on the MS servers so it's upto them to make sure it is still available.

@Bensimmo Google AIY projects is also supported by PINN. See link in above post to the post where I listed all OSes supported. Although I haven't checked it for updates since it first came out
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

dvaitman

Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:23 am

procount wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:22 am
If you have a Pi3, you can install PINN to a USB Mass Storage Device and install any supported OS to the USB drive such that it will boot from the USB drive without an SD card. (You need to configure the Pi3 to support USB booting).
Hi,
Can't make this work. I've formatted the USB to FAT32 using SDFormatter. Downloaded and unzip pinn-lite using 7-zip directly to the usb.
Plugged into RPi3 and nothing happens. I know RPi3 is already configured to boot from a USB (doing that already with raspbian). But I get nothing from PINN. any help?

dvaitman

Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:10 pm

BUMP - no takers?

procount

Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:37 pm

Sorry, I've been away.
You seem to be doing everything right and I can't see anything wrong, so I'm not sure why it is not working for you.

Which version of PINN are you using?
You stated that USB boot works with Raspbian. Are you using the same USB device, or a different one?
Have you tested that the USB device you use for PINN will USB boot with Raspbian, or with NOOBS?
What size is your USB device?

If you have a USB uSD card reader, you could try installing PINN on an SD card, check it works normally as an SD card. Then plug that into the card reader and insert into the USB Port and see if it still works as a USB boot.

Finally, try using different USB ports, or applying the timeout settings (mentioned in other USB boot threads) to see if it is a boot timing issue.
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

procount

Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:19 am

Some new OSes have been added that are installable by PINN:
  • Gentoo64 - the first 64-bit OS to be installed by PINN
  • Gentoo64pt - as gentoo64, but with additional drivers for the PiTop
  • Hypriotos - A platform for using Docker on the Raspberry Pi
  • Raspberry-VI - A version of Raspbian with the Mate desktop for Visually Impaired users.

bradi

Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:55 am

As a relative NOOB with Rasberry PI and a novice with Linux in general please excuse my ignorance if this is obvious or documented somewhere although assistance would be much appreciated.

Having recently purchased a Pi3 I have been playing with installing the various flavors via NOOBS which has worked well. I am now wanting to progress to a more permanent setup, which would include LibreELEC and Fedberry (or other Fedora based install) installed on the 16GB SD Card and Kali, RTAndroid and probably one of the Retro Gaming distro's on a USB stick using PINN.

Is this possible?

It seems that if I install anything via PINN it is an either SD or USB in terms of location for all installations, and it doesn't seem to be possible to install new distributions after you have already installed something without reinstalling everything, which leads me back to either installing everything to USB or installing everything to SD (not ideal). Surely I am missing something simple as it doesn't seem right that selecting a new OS and Location would reinstall every OS....

Many thanks for PINNs and any assistance would be gratefully appreciated.

procount

Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:07 pm

Yes it is possible. PINN supports all the OSes you mention except Fedberry. For that you will have to create your own custon os installation. That is documented on the github documentation under custom os.

PINN is based on NOOBS so it has many of the same limitations, like having to reinstall all OSes at the same time. I am enhancing PINN and supporting more OSes all the time so please keep a careful watch on this thread for announcements of new versions. I try to address the main criticisms of NOOBS with my new features, many of which get fed back into NOOBS. It just takes time.

Another alternative is BerryBoot which might be more flexible for you if you just want to change one OS at a time.

bradi

Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:59 am

Thanks Procount. Will do a bit more reading and see if I can get my head around the "customised" installs and check out BerryBoot. Appreciate your efforts with PINN and will indeed be following it's development.

mattrix

Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:11 am

@bradi
I have just added FedBerry 25.1 LXQt to PINN :D
www.matthuisman.nz

procount

Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:29 am

A couple more OSes have been added to the list and several have been updated to newer versions.
Some changes made in preparation for the next release of PINN ;)

Martin Frezman

Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:13 pm

Having just installed a whole truckload of OSes onto a 64G card, using PINN, I have a plea,
The problem that I am addressing is that you install all these OSes and then boot them up to a login: prompt. This sends you to Google to find out what id/password combination to use - and, of course, each one is different.

Now, I understand that these OSes are provided "as is", with no warranty of merchantability or fitness or suitability for any purpose whatsoever, but there should be a document somewhere, maintained, that lists, at a minimum, the default login creds for each OS. It would be very helpful.

This all on the assumption that at least part of the purpose of including all these other OSes is to get people to try them. I.e., they are not just there for people who already know about them.

Furthermore, while I understand that you just pull in the images from their original sources; you do not modify them for inclusion in PINN, I have to say that, as a general matter, the whole idea of having a login ID (by which I mean, of course, not just "having" it, but also the fact that it is required in order to do anything) is out-dated - for most normal, console-oriented computer, including the Pi. Here, Raspbian definitely gets it right - where, unless you take specific measures to the contrary, the default install just boots up directly into a GUI desktop - with no login nonsense to deal with. The other OSes should do likewise.

Note that, in the non-SBC Linux world (e.g., the X86 world), the first boot of an OS is never to a login prompt - it is always to come kind of "first boot" or "install" program, which sets things up for you. Again, Pi OSes would do well to do likewise.

Anyway, in the short run, a "cheat sheet" for all the PINN OSes would be a Good Thing. Else, all those OSes i've installed may never see the light of the day...
If this post appears in the wrong forums category, my apologies.

procount

Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:07 pm

That's a fair point, although I'm not intending to modify each OS to remove the default password, as that's up to each OS maintainer.

However, the os.json file for each OS does include the default username/password for each OS.
In the Advanced menu of PINN you will find the password change button which makes use of this fact.
If you select one of your installed OSes, click the password button, click the "use default" password and check the "show password" box, then it will show you the default password. Then just click cancel.

This feature is useful when you have changed the password and forgotten what it is, as it can set it to anything you like, or back to the default.
(I have not tried changing the password on each OS, because there are too many, but it should work on most Raspbian like OSes, and in any case for just showing your the default password it will work fine.)

mattrix

Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:41 am

@procount

I'll look into adding a dialog to:
http://noobs.matthuisman.nz/list/?b=pi3

with "extra" details (eg. website address, default login details)
As all the info is already scraped and available - it won't be hard.
www.matthuisman.nz

vekh

Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:05 am

Does someone encountered such issue?
"Error downloading or extracting tarball
https://sourceforge.net/projects/pinn/f ... oot.tar.xz:
2017-09-30 07:39:40 ERROR 404: Not Found.
xz: (stdin): FIle format not reckognized"

On sourceforge page there is no such file as boot.tar.xz only boot_and.tar.xz

The same story with ArchLinux...
I'm wondering if this is some kind of error or intentional action (but why?).

I gave third chance for gentoo and it's working but what about these two (and maybe other)?

procount

Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:19 pm

I know of a mistake I made in rtandroid during the upgrade but it should be fixed now. I will check Arch linux next. Should be fixed soon.

procount

Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:31 pm

Arch and rtandroid are now fixed

procount

Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:33 pm

Some OSes are not compatible with either their root or boot partitions being stored on a USB drive, so these have been marked to prevent them from being selected when installation is to a USB drive.

max66

Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:04 pm

Same error of weck.
Is there solution?

vekh wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:05 am
Does someone encountered such issue?
"Error downloading or extracting tarball
https://sourceforge.net/projects/pinn/f ... oot.tar.xz:
2017-09-30 07:39:40 ERROR 404: Not Found.
xz: (stdin): FIle format not reckognized"

procount

Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:03 pm

Which OS were you downloading and for which model of RPi?

dvaitman

Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:47 am

Hi again,
Excellent software. Really has all I want to install on my RPi3 (USB boot enabled)
However,
I bought this kit from element14
http://au.element14.com/element14/pi-de ... dp/2687142
http://www.makerspace-uk.co.uk/setting- ... sktop-kit/

which adds an mSata drive, power button, and realtime clock to the pi (bought it mainly for the extra mSata drive - via usb)
anyway, I've tried many things without success:
1. Installed PINN to an SD card, added an OS, reboot, tested all good
2. Installed PINN to an SD card, added different OS to a USB drive, tested, all good.
3. Installed PINN to a USB Drive, added multiple OS to the same drive, all good
Now I moved to the mSATA and my problems started:

4. Installed PINN to the drive, added Raspbian. Won't boot into the OS. When rebooting, I receive an error that can't fin the PINN files (note that I can see the GUI and the error pops up on a small window). When rebooting and holding shift, can reinstall images but then won't boot into any OS. And rebooting fails with an error I can't remember and sends me to a command prompt UI where I don't know what to do.
the cmd prompt says something like "sh: can't access tty; job control turned off"

5. Decided to put PINN on an SD card and add OS to the mSATA. All downloads went ok but when trying to boot an OS(tried), at least I can see the the black screen with a lot of messages... and it stops at:

Code: Select all

usb 1-1-4: new full-speed USB device number 4 using dwg_otg
usb 1-1-4: device descriptor read/64, error -32
usb 1-1-4: new full-speed USB device number 5 using dwg_otg
usb 1-1-4: new full-speed USB device number 6 using dwg_otg
usb 1-1-4: device not accepting address 6, error -32
usb 1-1-4: new full-speed USB device number 7 using dwg_otg
usb 1-1-4: device not accepting address 7, error -32
usb 1-1-port4: unable to enumerate USB device 
I know the piDesktop is not something everyone has but any Advice?

procount

Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:09 pm

Have you tried using Raspbian on an SD card and plugging you mSata drive in to check it is recognised in there as a plain data drive?
What is its USB ID, and does it have any specific drivers loaded for it?
It could be that it requires specific drivers to get it to work in PINN, although your post suggests you managed to put PINN on your mSata drive and got it to boot and install another OS, just that you couldn't boot into your OS from PINN. That sounds rather odd.

Return to “General discussion”