procount

Re: STICKY: PINN - An enhanced version of NOOBS.

Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:40 pm

The version of LineageOS 16 installed via PINN has been upgraded to Konsta's Feb releases (200207_rpi3 & 200212_rpi4).
The TWRP Recovery mode is now enabled as well when installed via PINN.
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

procount

Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:41 pm

If you downloaded the update LineageOS today, you may find the TWRP recovery program still does not work, due to me using the wrong version of sed :oops: .
I've now updated it, so the easiest thing would be to reinstall it.

(An alternative would be to download the updated partition_setup.sh script and os.json file for the installed version, replace the old versions on the settings partition, then re-run the partition_setup.sh from the fixup menu, but it's a bit complicated so just reinstall.)
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

AGID

Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:28 pm

is it possible to take backup or image of PINN and raspbian buster that i installed with PINN to my windows through 32windiskimager and if yes which partition i should use recovery or boot? good to inform that my sd card is 32G.
procount thanks alot for your efforts.

Thanks

procount

Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:50 pm

Win32DISKimager is used to backup the entire card, so I would normally pick the first partition (RECOVERY). I don't know what would happen if you chose the BOOT partition, but probably it would still backup the whole of the card.

But why do you want to do this? It will result in an image file that is 32GB in size. This is a very big file and difficult to manage. Most of it will be empty space. You also have the problem that SD cards often vary in size slightly, so there is a good chance the image won't be writable to another 32GB SD card even if it is just a few bytes smaller.
You can compress the image file with zip or xz, but it's still big to manage.

Some utilities exist to shrink such images e.g. pishrink.
You could also look at RonR's File Image utilities, but I'm not sure if they work with NOOBs/PINN formatted disks, they may be Raspbian specific, but you can always ask him on that thread.
Or you could just resize the partitions manually before trying to backup the whole card.

Personally, I would not bother backuping PINN, since it is easy enough to install on a new SD card. I would just use PINN's backup facility to backup Rasbian Buster to a USB drive. Then if I want to restore it on a new SD card, i would first install PINN, and then install your backup of Raspbian Buster from the USB drive. This has the advantage of being able to install it to a different sized SD card, or to install it with other OSes in a multi-boot fashion. Only the files are stored and none of the empty space.

Another alternative is to use the SD Card Copier program from within Raspbian's menu. It will backup the whole of the SD card to another SD card in a USB card reader (or a USB memory stick). Provided the data on your SD card is small enough, you could even copy to a smaller SD card such as a 16GB. When restoring, it will also expand the image to fit a bigger SD card.
This same facility is also included in PINN as the "Clone" function from the Archival menu, which has the advantage of not having to backup a "live" OS, but there doesn't seem to have been any problems with SD card copier in this respect, so either will do.

AGID

Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:00 pm

procount wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:50 pm
Win32DISKimager is used to backup the entire card, so I would normally pick the first partition (RECOVERY). I don't know what would happen if you chose the BOOT partition, but probably it would still backup the whole of the card.

But why do you want to do this? It will result in an image file that is 32GB in size. This is a very big file and difficult to manage. Most of it will be empty space. You also have the problem that SD cards often vary in size slightly, so there is a good chance the image won't be writable to another 32GB SD card even if it is just a few bytes smaller.
You can compress the image file with zip or xz, but it's still big to manage.

Some utilities exist to shrink such images e.g. pishrink.
You could also look at RonR's File Image utilities, but I'm not sure if they work with NOOBs/PINN formatted disks, they may be Raspbian specific, but you can always ask him on that thread.
Or you could just resize the partitions manually before trying to backup the whole card.

Personally, I would not bother backuping PINN, since it is easy enough to install on a new SD card. I would just use PINN's backup facility to backup Rasbian Buster to a USB drive. Then if I want to restore it on a new SD card, i would first install PINN, and then install your backup of Raspbian Buster from the USB drive. This has the advantage of being able to install it to a different sized SD card, or to install it with other OSes in a multi-boot fashion. Only the files are stored and none of the empty space.

Another alternative is to use the SD Card Copier program from within Raspbian's menu. It will backup the whole of the SD card to another SD card in a USB card reader (or a USB memory stick). Provided the data on your SD card is small enough, you could even copy to a smaller SD card such as a 16GB. When restoring, it will also expand the image to fit a bigger SD card.
This same facility is also included in PINN as the "Clone" function from the Archival menu, which has the advantage of not having to backup a "live" OS, but there doesn't seem to have been any problems with SD card copier in this respect, so either will do.
I dont have USB or sd card beside the one i use with the pi so i have no other choice atm. beside copying it on windows

procount

Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:21 am

Manjaro 20.02 for the RPI4 has been added to the list of PINN installations.

This is an Arch based distro with a choice of KDE plasma or XFCE desktop environments.

procount

Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:47 am

The easiest way to flash PINN to an SD card.

Have you installed the new Raspberry Pi Imager utility yet? If not, you should!

Once you have installed it, you should have a nice new Raspberry Icon on your desktop allowing you to install one of several OSes to your SD card.
But what if you want to install multiple OSes to your SD card, or additional OSes that are not listed in the default list?
Now you can use the Raspberry Pi Imager tool to easily install PINN.

Just make a copy of your Raspberry Pi Imager tool icon on the Windows desktop and rename this to something like "PINN install", or whatever makes it identifiable for you. Then right-click this icon, select properties, and make sure you are viewing the "shortcut" tab.
In the "target" field, you should have something like "C:\Program Files (x86)\Raspberry Pi Imager\imagingutility.exe". This may be different if you installed it to a different location.

Append the following text to this target field so it looks like this:

Code: Select all

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Raspberry Pi Imager\imagingutility.exe" --repo https://raw.githubusercontent.com/procount/pinn-os/master/iu/os_list_iu_pinn.json
Now when you run the Raspberry Pi Imager tool through this icon, you can select PINN to install as the OS.

This technique does not require you to format your SD card as FAT32, thus avoiding all the headaches associated with doing this on larger SD cards.

BRX7

Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:27 pm

procount wrote:

This is an Arch based distro with a choice of KDE plasma or XFCE desktop environments.

Many thanks lets see how well kde works

Giga_Pi

Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:23 pm

procount wrote:

This is an out of date version of the OS.

We're already on 20.04: https://forum.manjaro.org/t/manjaro-arm ... sed/133374
GNOME for Pi

A project to get the popular GNOME desktop to run on Raspberry Pi OS.

Guide here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=276512

Pi4 4GB @2GHz GPU@750MHz with ubuntu 20.04

procount

Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:35 pm

Manjaro updated to 20.04

procount

Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:46 pm

All 32-bit Arch versions updated to 2020-03-03.

atwk

Thu May 07, 2020 10:56 am

Hello - where can I find older versions of PINN?
My gamepads ( SNES / Playstation ) don't work properly (I can only move the pointer, but can't select anything). But it worked when I set up my system a few months ago.

Or are there examples for the joy_keys.json file? I didn't get along with the instructions on https://github.com/procount/pinn/blob/m ... oy_keys.md.
I tried to take values from a configuration in libreelec, but then nothing booted - and I don't know the password for my rpi3b, for the recovery shell.

procount

Thu May 07, 2020 2:23 pm

atwk wrote:
Hello - where can I find older versions of PINN?
All previous versions are here -> https://sourceforge.net/projects/pinn/files/archive/
atwk wrote:
I didn't get along with the instructions on https://github.com/procount/pinn/blob/m ... oy_keys.md.
Did you read to the end? The last paragraph explains how to get the codes from your joystick and gives the username/password to use.
atwk wrote:
Or are there examples for the joy_keys.json file?
The above link shows the default file, which is an example.
Once you've created your file, you might want to run it through https://jsonlint.com/ to check the syntax is ok before using it.
atwk wrote:
I don't know the password for my rpi3b, for the recovery shell
ctrl-alt-F2, then login with: root/raspberry

Hope that helps, but don't hesitate to ask more specific questions if you are stuck.

atwk

Thu May 07, 2020 10:39 pm

Thanks for the answer. My keyboard has a German layout, so the password only worked after I entered z instead of y.

My gamepad produces lines like these:
found joy 15 (A) in "any" : "any" as 4101 ( mouse_lclick )
found joy 17 (X) in "any" : "any" as 16777216 ( Key-Escape )

I have taken the code from the default mapping, and have only changed one value:
"mouse_lclick": "A"
replaced "A" with "15" or "4101" respectively, but the recovery application crashed on both.

What am I doing wrong?

popetto

Fri May 08, 2020 9:04 am

Hi all,
I've installed Gentoo and Raspbian on my RPi4 through PINN. Yesterday, everything was working but today I cannot boot raspbian.
The problem is that, after the rainbow screen, PINN doesn't appear (solid black screen) and it goes directly to gentoo. Is there something that I can do?
I haven't done anything.

sakaki

Fri May 08, 2020 10:18 am

popetto wrote:
I've installed Gentoo and Raspbian on my RPi4 through PINN. Yesterday, everything was working but today I cannot boot raspbian.
The problem is that, after the rainbow screen, PINN doesn't appear (solid black screen) and it goes directly to gentoo. Is there something that I can do?
Have you tried holding the Shift key down (or repeatedly pressing and releasing it) during the initial boot process? This should take you into PINN.

hth, sakaki

popetto

Fri May 08, 2020 10:23 am

sakaki wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 10:18 am
popetto wrote:
Have you tried holding the Shift key down (or repeatedly pressing and releasing it) during the initial boot process? This should take you into PINN.

hth, sakaki
Yes, I've already tried. I'm going to try again other times but, for now, I didn't manage to enter PINN.

procount

Fri May 08, 2020 10:39 am

@atwk
atwk wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 10:39 pm
My gamepad produces lines like these:
found joy 15 (A) in "any" : "any" as 4101 ( mouse_lclick )
found joy 17 (X) in "any" : "any" as 16777216 ( Key-Escape )

I have taken the code from the default mapping, and have only changed one value:
"mouse_lclick": "A"
replaced "A" with "15" or "4101" respectively, but the recovery application crashed on both.

What am I doing wrong?
The joystick interface was built around the Xbox controllers, so it could be your Playstation gamepad has a different mapping. I will be improving this interface in the near future. But meanwhile, you said it DID work in the past, so I'm not sure what has changed at your end.

If it's producing those statements, then it should be working. (15&17 are the gamepad button ID, 4101 is the code for mouse_lclick, and 16777216 is the code for the Escape key)
What the statement is indicating is that the joystick produced button code 15. Using the table below, PINN mapped that button ID to button (A) (It may not have been button A on your joystick).

//String,          ID, value, type, number
    {"LAnalogLeft",     1,  -1,  2,  0},
    {"LAnalogRight",    2,   1,  2,  0},
    {"LAnalogUp",       3,  -1,  2,  1},
    {"LAnalogDown",     4,   1,  2,  1},
    {"LT",              5,   1,  2,  2},
    {"RAnalogLeft",     6,  -1,  2,  3},
    {"RAnalogRight",    7,   1,  2,  3},
    {"RAnalogUp",       8,  -1,  2,  4},
    {"RAnalogDown",     9,   1,  2,  4},
    {"RT",             10,   1,  2,  5},
    {"D-padLeft",      11,  -1,  2,  6},
    {"D-padRight",     12,   1,  2,  6},
    {"D-padUp",        13,  -1,  2,  7},
    {"D-padDown",      14,   1,  2,  7},
    {"A",              15,   1,  1,  0},
    {"B",              16,   1,  1,  1},
    {"X",              17,   1,  1,  2},
    {"Y",              18,   1,  1,  3},
    {"LB",             19,   1,  1,  4},
    {"RB",             20,   1,  1,  5},
    {"Back",           21,   1,  1,  6},
    {"Start",          22,   1,  1,  7},
    {"Mode",           23,   1,  1,  8},
    {"LAnalog_click",  24,   1,  1,  9},
    {"RAnalog_click",  25,   1,  1,  10}
PINN then looked in the joy_keys.json file to find a mapping. Here is the part of the default file showing that mapping:

"any": {
        "any": {
            "mouse_left":   "LAnalogLeft",
            "mouse_right":  "LAnalogRight",
            "mouse_up":     "LAnalogUp",
            "mouse_down":   "LAnalogDown",

"joy_left":     "RAnalogLeft",
            "joy_right":    "RAnalogRight",
            "joy_up":       "RAnalogUp",
            "joy_down":     "RAnalogDown",

"Key_Left":     "Y",
            "Key_Right":    "RB",
            "Key_Up":       "LB",
            "Key_Down":     "B",
            "Key_space":    "Start",

"mouse_lclick": "A",
            "Key_Escape":   "X",
            "Key_Enter":    "Start"

}
    }
PINN looked in the current menu for the current dialog window and didn't find a key mapping, so it looked in the current window/Any meny table and still didn't find anything. Finally it looked in the "any" window "any" menu table and found a mapping of button A to mouse_lclick. (This table is mapped backwards - look in the right hand column for the button, and find the key to simulate in the left). So by pressing whatever button you pressed to get that message, PINN would have simulated a left button mouse-click at the cursor position.

If you want to change this mapping table, maybe because your gamepad has more buttons, or you just want to use the button-ID number instead of the name because it is wrong, then normally the left column remains the same and you change the values in the right hand column, just as you did.
There is no point changing "A" to 15 because that is the same thing. (NOTE: if you use a number, you shouldn't put it in quotes).
But if you want you joystick button 35 to map to "mouse_lclick" then you can replace "A" with 35.

procount

Fri May 08, 2020 10:42 am

@popetto
popetto wrote:
I haven't done anything.
What colour is the top left corner of the rainbow screen - red or magenta ?
Which HDMI socket have you plugged your monitor into? - It should be the one closest to the USB-C power socket.

popetto

Fri May 08, 2020 10:54 am

procount wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 10:42 am
@popetto
popetto wrote:
I haven't done anything.
What colour is the top left corner of the rainbow screen - red or magenta ?
Which HDMI socket have you plugged your monitor into? - It should be the one closest to the USB-C power socket.
Sometimes it is red, sometimes magenta. What's the difference? :oops:
I'm trying to put the HDMI cable to the closest socket. Thank you

procount

Fri May 08, 2020 11:06 am

If it is magenta, you have connected to the wrong HDMI socket for PINN. It should be red.
PINN only works with HDMI-0, the left hand HDMI socket closest to the USB-C power socket.

If that still doesn't work, remove your SD card and put it in a PC. You should have a drive called "RECOVERY" (ignore any messages from Windows to format unknown partitions). Can you provide a list of the files on this partition?

(EDIT: Or you could do it in Gentoo if you know how to mount /dev/mmcblk0p1)

atwk

Fri May 08, 2020 11:45 am

If you want to change this mapping table, maybe because your gamepad has more buttons, or you just want to use the button-ID number instead of the name because it is wrong, then normally the left column remains the same and you change the values in the right hand column, just as you did.
There is no point changing "A" to 15 because that is the same thing. (NOTE: if you use a number, you shouldn't put it in quotes).
But if you want you joystick button 35 to map to "mouse_lclick" then you can replace "A" with 35.
So I get more and more confused. I thought that the lines would indicate that the SNES controller should work.
I have now entered 17 instead of "A" and 15 instead of "Start".

Now the gamepad reacts, but I only get to the menu with the mouse, where the B button works (which actually produces code 16).

My Playstation controller didn't produce anything in the Recovery Shell yesterday. The PS-Controller worked out of the box after the last setup (don't know if 3.3.2 or 3.3.3).

But I think I should be able to configure the mouse click for the menu now, if necessary I'll switch off the sticky option - and wait until you've improved the setup.

popetto

Fri May 08, 2020 12:45 pm

procount wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 11:06 am
If it is magenta, you have connected to the wrong HDMI socket for PINN. It should be red.
PINN only works with HDMI-0, the left hand HDMI socket closest to the USB-C power socket.

If that still doesn't work, remove your SD card and put it in a PC. You should have a drive called "RECOVERY" (ignore any messages from Windows to format unknown partitions). Can you provide a list of the files on this partition?

(EDIT: Or you could do it in Gentoo if you know how to mount /dev/mmcblk0p1)
Ok, for now it works. I put the hdmi cable in the wrong port. Thank you! :D

procount

Fri May 08, 2020 1:19 pm

atwk wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 11:45 am
My Playstation controller didn't produce anything in the Recovery Shell yesterday. The PS-Controller worked out of the box after the last setup (don't know if 3.3.2 or 3.3.3).
Are your "Playstation controller" and "PS-Controller" the same thing, or 2 separate gamepads, you've just abbreviated the name?

One more point: PINN will only detect joysticks that are plugged in when you turn it on. They may not be detected if you plug them in later - it is not plug and play. :(

If you go to the Recovery shell and type

less /tmp/debug
You will be able to scroll through the debug messages (press Q to quit). Near the top (about line 10) it will display the name of any joystick it has found, plus how many axes and buttons it has. If it can't find one, it will display "Joystick not found".
Also you can type

lsusb
at the command prompt to get a list of all USB devices connected. Remove your joystick and type the same thing again. THe missing line will be the USB identifier of your Joystick. SOmetimes this is helpful to know.

It looks like I turned off some of the debug statements in v3.3.4, so it only shows the buttons it recognises. Maybe in the older versions it will show you more information to allow a better mapping. If not I will put it back in the next version.

Joysticks are more complicated than I first thought, but if you can get the button IDs, the interface should be generic enough to allow most mappings.
I have only recently got a compatible PS3 controller. It has three joystick emulations that you are supposed to be able to change at startup by pressing some button combination, but that doesn't seem to work for me, so it comes up in a different mode each time I switch it on! The next joystick interface should be able to cope with this scenario.

PeterHurn

Sat May 09, 2020 2:47 pm

Hopefully a quick question,

I have PINN v.3.3.4, Raspberry PI 4, PNY SSD for PINN OS install, PINN Installed on an SD card.

When I use PINN to install the Raspbian Lite and boot this it starts to boot fine with the usual check lines being displayed at the OS boots, then when you would expect the login screen I get a blank screen, I have waited for a while (30 mins) and nothing.

I am using a monitor with HDMI, I am using the HDMI closest to the Power connector on the Pi.

Any ideas?

Return to “General discussion”