BRX7

Re: STICKY: PINN - An enhanced version of NOOBS.

Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:03 pm

I need to latest build to stop using wifi and stick with ethernet,
as I originally used wifi also during pinn setup. How can I clear wifi details or change network info?

procount

Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:15 pm

I think probably the easiest way is to create a new wpa_supplicant.conf file without any networks in it and put it on the PINN partition, then boot PINN.

The default wpa_supplicant.conf file looks like this:

Code: Select all

ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
ap_scan=1
update_config=1
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

gide

Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:49 pm

procount wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:17 pm
Hi Gide,

You chose a nice case btw, (I have 3 of them!)

Of course I am biased in my answer ;) but the choice is entirely yours.
If you are new to the Pi world, then I suggest you try all options to make your own mind up.
@procount, thanks for your encouragement!
At the end I have decided(for now) to install the OS system on RPi straight without Noob/PINN. Have also installed Pi-hole(not seen the result on my wife's mobile yet) and a music/radio server with the last being a "hit&miss action".
All up and running.

BRX7

Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:53 pm

procount wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:15 pm
I think probably the easiest way is to create a new wpa_supplicant.conf file without any networks in it and put it on the PINN partition, then boot PINN.

The default wpa_supplicant.conf file looks like this:

ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
ap_scan=1
update_config=1
Ive looked at that in the root location it’s exactly like your default entry
Ifconfig shows its still connected to wlan also

Update I’ve found it. its in the settings folder.

procount

Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:51 am

PINN should copy any /wpa_supplicant.conf to /settings/wpa_setting.conf on boot.
After copying, it renames /wpa_supplicant.conf to /wpa_supplicant.bak to avoid copying it each boot.
Maybe you were seeing /wpa_supplicant.bak? :shrug:
/settings/wpa_supplicant.conf is the one that is used, but I suggested putting a new version in root to make it easier for you.
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

George441

Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:27 am

Thanks for sharing this helpful article.

blee0518

Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:18 am

phil995511 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:06 pm
It's great for Manjaro that you're already working on it.

For Open Suse they just released brand new disc images, Network boot from U-Boot/Grub.

https://en.opensuse.org/HCL:Raspberry_Pi4

Putting it in testing would be a good choice for me.

You also have Alpine Linux which looks excellent with Mate or Xfce :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpine_Linux

https://alpinelinux.org/downloads/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsFD52ba_zw

Regards.

I am looking to install Alpine to my RPi 4 but can not seem to write the img onto an sd card.
I am using a windows machine to try and create the appropriate file.
I am converted the tar.gz to iso but everytime i try to write, it says this is not a bootable source. (using Etcher) tried converting to img and still no dice. Any help would be greatly appreciated. wanting to setup a RPi as a gateway router.

procount

Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:32 am

I'm not sure how you are converting a .tar.gz to an .img file on a Windows machine. You can't just change the extension, it is a totally different file format.
I didn't convert Alpine for use with PINN (that was thanks to Matt), but I suspect you just ungz/untar it to an already formatted SD card.
Why don't you just use Raspbian Lite for your router?

blee0518

Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:43 am

procount wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:32 am
I'm not sure how you are converting a .tar.gz to an .img file on a Windows machine. You can't just change the extension, it is a totally different file format.
I didn't convert Alpine for use with PINN (that was thanks to Matt), but I suspect you just ungz/untar it to an already formatted SD card.
Why don't you just use Raspbian Lite for your router?
I was using AnyToISO for the tar.gz to iso.
I was wanting to try Alpine out as it has a package manager and is build for routing traffic and could even be ran from RAM.
Im pretty new to the RPi community.
Could you provide some directions to the easiest method for getting the Alpine tar.gz file onto a bootable SD?
Should I great the bootable file inside Raspbian and export to windows machine to write with Etcher?
Ive probably been at my project for way too many hours and just toasted my brain from being able to grasp the small steps im probably over looking.
I have been able to test Raspbian and Dietpi out. I could settle for one of the "official" distros i guess if I cant get this going. This will be my last attempt thanks for any help.

## I want to clarify, I have not used your PINN method, I am giving it a shot to see if I can install with it.
**** Can PINN be used in a headless setup?
Can I write pinn img to sd, install and power up, remote into this setup img?

procount

Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:11 am

blee0518 wrote:
Yes.
After writing pinn img to SD card, modify recovery.cmdline and add the 'ssh vncshare forcetrigger' options.
You can now use VNC to control it remotely and ssh if you need to do some low level maintenance stuff

blee0518

Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:37 am

procount wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:11 am
blee0518 wrote:
Yes.
After writing pinn img to SD card, modify recovery.cmdline and add the 'ssh vncshare forcetrigger' options.
You can now use VNC to control it remotely and ssh if you need to do some low level maintenance stuff
Thanks for the help,
I have tried adding these a few different ways.
Can you post what the recovery.cmdline should look like after adding?
-sorry
Noob

procount

Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:42 am

runinstaller ssh forcetrigger vncshare quiet ramdisk_size=32768 root=/dev/ram0 init=/init vt.cur_default=1 elevator=deadline repo_list=http://raw.githubusercontent.com/procount/pinn-os/master/os/repo_list.json loglevel=2 sdhci.debug_quirks2=4
These options must all be on one single line.

'runinstaller' is only present when you first install PINN and is there to wipe and partition the SD card. If it is included AFTER you have already installed some OSes, then they will be deleted/wiped.

If you have the possibility to boot PINN with a monitor and at least a mouse (a keyboard is optional but might make it easier), you can set these options from within PINN as follows:
  1. Boot PINN with monitor and keyboard and/or mouse attached.
  2. Click the "More" Menu button (or press 'M' shortcut key) twice to move to the Maintenance Menu
  3. Highlight the PINN OS in the list box by clicking on it (or TAB/Space)
  4. Select the "Edit Config" menu button
  5. Here, you can edit the recovery.cmdline file directly by clicking on the recovery.cmdline tab. OR....
  6. Click the "Edit Options" button in the bottom left of the dialog
  7. On the interface tab, select/check the vncshare and ssh options
  8. On the Booting tab, select/check the forcetrigger option
As you claim to be a NOOB, I would not try to install Alpine with PINN for the Pi4 as it has not yet been converted to PINN format, although versions for the Pi3 are available.
Another OS option for a router would be openWRT/lede. They are mostly used for wifi AP, but I suppose it would be easy to setup a router using this too.

sakaki

Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:18 pm

Hello,

just a quick note that the new v1.5.4 release of my bootable Gentoo image for the RPi4/RPi3 (announce post, with a detailed list of changes, here) is now also available for installation via PINN.

Here's a screenshot of the image running on a dual-display RPi4 B (click to show a higher resolution view):

The full image is called gentoo64 on PINN; the CLI-only version, gentoo64lite.

Images were converted using the pinnify script.

Best,

sakaki

Edit: update screenshot
Last edited by sakaki on Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WODAK

Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:20 pm

Ok...I'll try to describe what I did...and what I would like to achive. I have a raspberry pi 4b. I have two SD cards.

On the first SD card:
First I created a custom instalations of PINN with PINN System Resize. I've made a partitions of Libreelec, Raspbian, Gentoo64 and a project space for future installations. So everything works fine.

On the second SD card:
Installed Retropie v. 4.5.15 and customized it for my own needs. So everything works fine.

Now I wanted to replace the project space on the first SD card with Retropie on the second SD card. Now I've followed your instructions. I've made an img file from the SD card with retropie on it . And then mounted the system img and created the root.tar.xy and boot.tar.xz.

On the second SD card I did a little hack and replaced the content of Project space to retropie in the recovery.cmdline

quiet ramdisk_size=32768 root=/dev/ram0 init=/init vt.cur_default=1 elevator=deadline no_group no_default_source select="showall" disablesdimages alt_image_source=http://pinn.mjh.nz/os_list.json?gentoo64=20000&raspbian=10000&libreelec_rpi4=5000&[b]retropie3-dsi=80100[/b] loglevel=2 sdhci.debug_quirks2=4 ssh vncshare 
Then I replaced the Project space with retropie in PINN setup menu. I know that retropie is still not officialy supported for rp4. Next step was that I replaced all the content from the boot.tar.gz with the retropie boot partition. I extracted the boot.tar.xy over the boot partition for retropie. The same procedure was made for the root content expect I first deleted all the content from root partition and then extracted the root.tar.gz over it.

Now when I restarted the raspberry everything worked OK in PINN. There were now 4 operating sysems Libreelec, Raspbian, Gentoo64 and Retropie. But when I try to run the retropie I get the mostly errors of Failed to start File System Check on Root PINN. All other systems work fine.

Is the method I tried even possible? Are there any other solutions without reinstalling the whole sd card?

P.S. one more question. I saw that u made the instalation of lineage16-rpi4. Is this the latest version of Lineage relesed on february (lineage-16.0-20200212-UNOFFICIAL-KonstaKANG-rpi4.zip) or is this the version from january?

thank you for your anwser!

procount

Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:14 pm

It sounds like you are nearly there.
What you are missing is the fixup of the partition references that is normally done by the partition_setup.sh script.
You will need to edit /cmdline.txt on retropie's boot partition, and /etc/fstab on Retropie's root partition. Currently they will refer to the first and second partitions of your previous SD card. You need them to point to the appropriate partitions on your PINN card. this can be done by various means, e.g. by device such as /dev/mmcblk0pX/Y or by partuuid. PARTUUIDs are made up of a diskid followed by a partition ID, such as AABBCD-0X/0Y.

You didn't need to modify recovery.cmdline, that's only for installation.
You may need to modify installed_os.json on the /settings partition to replace ProjectSpace witth Retropie details.
Since you have not installed Retropie fully with PINN, there will be some missing files in /settings for this OS, so some advanced features (like backup & restore) may not work properly, but the basics should be ok.

I think the Lineage version I have is from January.

WODAK

Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:48 pm

Thank you very much ..... editing the dev/fstab did the trick! now everything boots as it shoud :)

Now just a little request....could you update the Lineage to the latest version?
I would do it but I don't think I'm capable of doing that alone by myself with the knowledge I have too make it PINN bootable (there are 4 partitions, etc...)

P.S. the work you made with PINN is amazing!

procount

Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:09 pm

I will try to update it soon. I have many to update and little time.

sakaki

Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:36 am

Hello,

just a quick note that the new v1.4.8 release of my bootable raspbian-nspawn-64 image for the RPi4/RPi3 (changelog here) is now available for installation via PINN (called nspawn64 there).

For those unfamiliar with this system, it is essentially a vanilla 32-bit Raspbian Buster desktop, but one which also has a 'sidekick' 64-bit Debian Buster guest OS always available (booted automatically in a lightweight systemd-nspawn container), which you can enter at will from a 32-bit Raspbian terminal using the ds64-shell command. 64-bit apps installed in the container (using regular Debian apt) have launchers automatically added for them into the host's desktop menu; when launched, they can play sound and video, and access user pi's home directory, just like a regular 32-bit app (but are prevented from performing many harmful actions on the host by virtue of the containerization).

64-bit integration without the headache!

Here's a screenshot of the image running on an RPi4 B (click for higher resolution view):

Note: as, thanks to ShiftPlusOne, raspbian-nspawn-64 can now be installed from the official Raspbian repo, just like any other regular package, using apt, this v1.4.8 image is essentially just the 2020-02-13 with-desktop Buster release of Raspbian (from here), into which this raspbian-nspawn-64 deb package has been pre-injected, via the techniques shown in this post, and on which the official 64-bit kernel has been activated (by setting arm_64bit=1 in /boot/config.txt). Otherwise, the system is in a 'factory fresh' state (so e.g. the root partition will still autoexpand, the piwiz setup wizard will still run on first boot, etc.). As such, this bootable image is now provided as a convenience only.

The image was converted using the pinnify script.

Best,

sakaki

Saruk

Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:04 am

I'm trying out PINN on a 4Gig RPi4 with a 32Gig Samsung EVO SD and like what I see but seem to be having network issues. I've tried both wired and wifi. Last night I tried it for the first time using wired. I installed Gentoo64. It took over 3 hours to download and install. Once installed, I updated Gentoo64. That took forever.Then I tried Kodi. I couldn't download addons for Kodi. Every time I would try to install an addon, it would fail. It was losing the network connection. It would start to download, stop and then fail. I decided to try wifi. Same thing. Today I thought I'd try the full PINN. I set it all up and am now installing Gentoo64. When I hit install it started out at 6.8MB/sec. Then it started dropping, just like last night. Now it is downloading at 1.3MB/sec. I put my RaspEX in earlier and did a speedtest. I got over 300Mbps (I have Google Fiber 1Gbps). Also when doing a speed test in Gentoo64, it would start around 8MB/sec and then drop to 0. Am I missing something?

Is this really 1.3 MB/sec or 1.3 Mbps? (MegaBytes (MB) or Megabits (Mb))

Chuck

procount

Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:30 am

The speed displayed on download is in megabytes per sec, but it's measuring the number of bytes written to disk after decompressing the files, so the actual network download speed will be less than that. I can't explain your slow download speeds. I only have 39Mbps FTTC, but it's still a lot quicker than the times you are quoting. Clearly it's not PINN because you have the same problems installing Kodi Plugins and updating Gentoo64. Also I can't blame it on the sourceforge download server because gentoo and Kodi are hosted elsewhere. I assume you ran Raspex on the same Pi for your speedtest? Was it using the same SD card or another type?
I've never used the Samsung EVO card, but I've read about problems with them in other posts on this forum. I wonder if that is your problem? I suppose a network speed test does not involve writing the data to SD card.
Most of my OSes are stored on sourceforge here ->https://sourceforge.net/projects/pinn/files/os/ so you can download them manually to USB stick and then try to install them locally to see if the speed of installation is improved. That should tell you if it is a network problem or an SD card writing issue . (See https://github.com/procount/pinn/blob/m ... -usb-stick for details) (Or you can use PINN's Download feature to download them to a USB stick).

There is no difference installing Gentoo64 with full PINN or PINN-Lite, since they are the same program. The only difference is that full PINN includes the installation files for Raspbian and LibreELEC to save downloading them each time. Gentoo64 is installed from the network in both cases.

It also may be worth checking your SD card with H2TESTW to make sure it is fully working and has full capacity.

Saruk

Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:44 am

Wow, thanks for the quick reply. This SD card was my NOOBS Raspbian/LibreELEC card. I decided to try PINN and wiped it and wrote PINN to it. I had no problems with it before and have 3 other identical cards, one running RaspEX and one running motioneyeos on an RPi3 and have had no problems. I'll try loading NOOBs back on and see. Maybe it went bad.

Again, I like what I see.

Chuck

WODAK

Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:57 pm

Is there any tutorial or docs how to use calibration with joystick? I'm using Logitech F710 with PINN...
On the default options on joy_keys.json , all buttons seems to work correct. Only the left analog stick dosn't work so good. If I press left or right the mouse cursor moves normaly....If I press up or down the mouse cousor dosn't work. If u just cycle the stick then some moves get registered and it moves up or down....sometimes it just freezes and the mouse pointer keeps going left, right, up or down.

If I change the joy_keys.json threshold at value 1 at step 1 to threshold value 1000 the analog stick works fine...but the buttons stop to work.

"calibration": [
        {
            "threshold": 1000,
            "step": 1
        },
        {
            "threshold": 10000,
            "step": 10
        },
        {
            "threshold": 20000,
            "step": 100
        }
    ],
I've also checked the debug log with : tail -f /tmp/debug and all the keys seems to register OK

Could I get some help with settings of joy_keys.json?

thank you again :)

procount

Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:10 pm

I wrote up some instructions here -> https://github.com/procount/pinn/blob/m ... oy_keys.md
It's impossible to give support on all the different types of joystick, but I am experimenting with a new interface which might make it into a future version of PINN.

WODAK

Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:14 pm

I did read that and tried the same default config.
If i use the default one the left axis dosn't work (up and down mouse move)...and if I change threshold from 1 to 1000 the left axis works and buttons don't work...if I am watching the debug log all the keys seem to register OK:

found joy  15  ( A ) in  "any"  :  "any"  as  4101  ( mouse_lclick )
found joy  16  ( B ) in  "any"  :  "any"  as  16777237  ( Key_Down )
found joy  17  ( X ) in  "any"  :  "any"  as  16777216  ( Key_Escape )
found joy  18  ( Y ) in  "any"  :  "any"  as  16777234  ( Key_Left )
found joy  19  ( LB ) in  "any"  :  "any"  as  16777235  ( Key_Up )
found joy  20  ( RB ) in  "any"  :  "any"  as  16777236  ( Key_Right )
found joy  22  ( Start ) in  "any"  :  "any"  as  0  ( Unknown )
found joy  3  ( LAnalogUp ) in  "any"  :  "any"  as  4099  ( mouse_up )
found joy  4  ( LAnalogDown ) in  "any"  :  "any"  as  4100  ( mouse_down )
found joy  2  ( LAnalogRight ) in  "any"  :  "any"  as  4098  ( mouse_right )
found joy  1  ( LAnalogLeft ) in  "any"  :  "any"  as  4097  ( mouse_left )
found joy  8  ( RAnalogUp ) in  "any"  :  "any"  as  8195  ( joy_up )
found joy  7  ( RAnalogRight ) in  "any"  :  "any"  as  8194  ( joy_right )
found joy  9  ( RAnalogDown ) in  "any"  :  "any"  as  8196  ( joy_down )
found joy  6  ( RAnalogLeft ) in  "any"  :  "any"  as  8193  ( joy_left )
I was looking for detailed info of parameters in JSON object of calibration. What do they mean

"calibration": [
        {
            "threshold": 1,
            "step": 1
        },
        {
            "threshold": 10000,
            "step": 10
        },
        {
            "threshold": 20000,
            "step": 100
        }
    ]

procount

Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:12 pm

It's only used for the analog values that are mapped to the joy_* keys.
If the analog value is above the given threshold, it moves the mouse the number of steps to provide some sort of proportional speed control for the mouse.
Increasing the first threshold to 1000 will provide some deadband in case your joystick does not provide one itself.

Return to “General discussion”