brody5117

Pi Zero

Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:15 am

Does anyone know when the next batch of Pi Zeros are going to be made? (I really want one!)

W. H. Heydt

Re: Pi Zero

Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:51 am

wayner

Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:59 am

Posting to a thread that hasn't been updated with relevant info since Feb 4 isn't very helpful. Is there really no update since that date? I have a notification set at Adafruit for when they are in stock, but I have not been pinged - so they don't seem to be getting much, if any, stock.

I agree with the OP - when are we actually going to be able to buy a Pi Zero???

W. H. Heydt

Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:22 am

All indications are that the fundamental points made in the stickied thread are still valid.

I'm on the Adafruit list as well. So far as I can tell, they only send out notifications to as many people as they have items with notifications outstanding. That is, if they have 500 people on the notification list for bare Pi Zero boards, and they get in 100 boards, they send out 100 notifications.

Even though I didn't get a notice last week, I checked the Adafruit site and they *did* have Pi Zeros in. I ordered one, as did a friend of mine once I let him know. They continued to have "kits" available for a couple of days before they all sold out (which is a definite improvement on where things were a couple of months ago). I just checked a Micro Center store (the other--rather limited--US distributor). That store says they have one. Useless to me, since the nearest MicroCenter to me is 400 miles away, but they do exist.

Really...your best bet is to check whereismypizero.com whenever you get a chance.

Again, referring back to the sticky post, Adafruit is pretty likely to get some in next week.

(Also...I expect this thread to go to /dev/null relatively soon as it is a rehash of many other threads.)

wayner

Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:31 am

But why is it that demand >>> supply more than four months after the Zero was announced? The Pi3 was barely a twinkle in someone's eye when that post was last updated.

Pi3s seem very plentiful and easy to get yet they were announced only a month ago. Why not just make a shiteload of Zeros and balance supply and demand?

W. H. Heydt

Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:42 am

wayner wrote:But why is it that demand >>> supply more than four months after the Zero was announced? The Pi3 was barely a twinkle in someone's eye when that post was last updated.

Pi3s seem very plentiful and easy to get yet they were announced only a month ago. Why not just make a shiteload of Zeros and balance supply and demand?
Several reasons....
First, when that post was made, Pi3B production was adversely impacting Pi Zero production. The reason they aren't cranking out boatloads of Pi Zeros is that production is paid for by the RPT, rather than the vastly larger (with vastly deeper pockets) RS and Farnell. With the very low profit margins involved (the reason RS and Farnell aren't interested in stocking them) all the way from factory to retailer, one doesn't want to do *anything* that raises the costs, such as having the factory working overtime.

Supply is lagging demand only partly because of supply. Around the time the Pi3B was launched Eben mentioned that he had placed a pair of orders totaling 150K Pi Zeros and that the Pi Zero production was on it's "third 100K". Now when you consider that the Model A was a "failure" because only 100K of them sold, you see part of the problem. Another part is...who thought that demand for Pi Zeros would be as high as it is? What, exactly, are people *doing* with them that has created such a demand? Are there that many people doing projects for which no other Pi will do? Are they being made into jewelry? Are they just so cute that people can't resist them?

stderr

Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:50 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:
wayner wrote: What, exactly, are people *doing* with them that has created such a demand? Are there that many people doing projects for which no other Pi will do? Are they being made into jewelry? Are they just so cute that people can't resist them?
Yes.

java

Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:58 am

I bought a RPi Zero, because of its size, because of its extra RAM, because it is slightly faster than an A or B without overclocking, and it was cheap ...

Edit :
Most importantly it use less power than the other RPi's

RaTTuS

Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:34 am

How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

stevech

Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:37 am

A few thousand went out in March. I received one from Adafruit in the US. So I have 2 now.
Hen's teeth!

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:25 am

wayner wrote:But why is it that demand >>> supply more than four months after the Zero was announced? The Pi3 was barely a twinkle in someone's eye when that post was last updated.

The Pi3 has been in development for over a year....production of the Pi3 had priority over Zero. Bcm2835's needed to be made for Zero's, and lead time for those is 12 weeks or more. Pi3 are still being made in large quantities, meaning Zero's get little production time.

ALso note, the A+ and original B (and MC) can be overclocked safely to the same speed as the Zero - it's the same chip. Some really early boards might not be able to make it, but anything recent should be able to go at the same speed.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

Pithagoros

Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:38 am

I'm still surprised that people are surprised that a computer that costs $5 is popular.

evilkitty

Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:53 am

the best suggestion i can give you to find when a pi 0 will be available is to stalk thepihut and pimoroni on twitter, shipped to the US it cost about $11 to $12, the ONLY way to get a pi zero for $5 (+ tax) is to live near a microcenter in the US

I have made a script to alert me to stock at thepihut, you need to use gmail and sign up for stock alerts (or just register)
this script uses a small 5V salvaged PC buzzer
3.3V logic -> 3K resistor -> 2n2222a base
+5v -> buzzer -> 2n2222a collector
2n2222a emitter -> ground

Code: Select all

#!/usr/bin/python
import RPi.GPIO as GPIO, feedparser, time

USERNAME = "" # Gmail User Name   
PASSWORD = "" # Gmail Password

GPIO.setmode(GPIO.BOARD)
pin = 12
GPIO.setup(pin, GPIO.OUT)
pwm=GPIO.PWM(pin, 500)
pwm.start(0)

while True:
	try:
		found=False
		cur_mails = feedparser.parse("https://" + USERNAME + ":" + PASSWORD +"@mail.google.com/gmail/feed/atom")
		total=int(cur_mails["feed"]["fullcount"])
		if total > 0:
			for i in range(0,total):
				if cur_mails["entries"][i]["author_detail"]["email"] == "[email protected]":
					title=cur_mails["entries"][i]["title"]
					if "Zero" in title or "zero" in title or "Stock" in title or "stock" in title:
						found=True
		if found:
			pwm.ChangeDutyCycle(50)
		else:
			pwm.ChangeDutyCycle(0)
		time.sleep(60)
	except Exception,e: # Probably a network connection error
		print e
		time.sleep(60)
My Pi Server: http://imgur.com/a/6xIUI | Thermostat: http://imgur.com/a/4LVnT

mikerr

Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:58 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:Around the time the Pi3B was launched Eben mentioned that he had placed a pair of orders totaling 150K Pi Zeros and that the Pi Zero production was on it's "third 100K".
Where did eben say there are 300k pi zeroes ? Link?
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

hippy

Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:26 am

mikerr wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote:Around the time the Pi3B was launched Eben mentioned that he had placed a pair of orders totaling 150K Pi Zeros and that the Pi Zero production was on it's "third 100K".
The way I read it was they had built 100K then put in orders for 50K+100K ...

"We’re building 100k of them at first"
https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/making-pi-zero/

"”I placed another 150,000 POs [production orders] – well, a pair of POs, a 50K and a 100K – in the last couple of days,” Raspberry Pi Foundation co-founder Eben Upton explained during an interview in early February"
https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/raspb ... g-on-track
Last edited by hippy on Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

wayner

Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:27 am

jamesh wrote:

ALso note, the A+ and original B (and MC) can be overclocked safely to the same speed as the Zero - it's the same chip. Some really early boards might not be able to make it, but anything recent should be able to go at the same speed.
I am aware of that but I want a smaller device with low power consumption to use in a battery/solar powered enclosed box.

W. H. Heydt

Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:23 pm

mikerr wrote:
I think the relevant comment was made in passing in the interview where he mentions ordering another 150K. Also, he didn't say that they'd *made* 300K, just that they were working into the "third 100K", i.e. they'd made at least 200K at that time.

brody5117

Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:32 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:See: viewtopic.php?f=63&t=135081
Thx

Return to “General discussion”