Arcy

CCTV / Webcam Camera

Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:47 am

Good afternoon all,

I've spent a fair few hours looking around various websites and these forums trying to find out a tried and tested cheap CCTV set up that meets my needs but I can't find one anywhere!

I want a 24/7 recorded mini CCTV setup from indoors looking outside over my property, I'm looking for something with a minimum 15fps with a decent enough resolution to make out some detail, possibly a face from 10m away?

Ideally I'd like to make it as easy as possible to review the video every couple of days maybe? I do have a desktop computer set up about 3m away from the Pi and a TV < 1m above the Pi.
Roughly how much storage would be required for 24 hours of footage?

Does anyone know of a decent camera that would fit the above? My budget is around £50 for the camera itself.

Any guidance on then how it would be best to set this up would be really appreciated, I can set the raspberry pi up less than 1-2m away from the camera.

many thanks and kind regards

Gary Littlemore

Re: CCTV / Webcam Camera

Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:58 am

Hi Arcy,

Did you get anywhere with the CCTV / Webcam, I'm in the process of setting up a similar project?

Regards

Gary
3b+, 2b, b+, b, Zero & Zero-W

MattHawkinsUK

Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:03 pm

I would wait for details of the official camera module to be announced by the Foundation. This is likely to have the most support behind it.
My Raspberry Pi blog and home of the BerryClip Add-on board : http://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/
Follow me on Google+, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter (@RPiSpy)

sithlord2

Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:46 am

Hi,

I did something similar with an USB webcam. I connected my Pi to a wireless usb wifi adapter, and a Logitech usb webcam. I installed MJPG-Streamer and have it started at bootup.

On my desktop computer I installed iSpy. This software allows you to view remote cams, define recording schedules, take snapshots every x seconds (or minutes), and also has motion-detection. iSpy is also open-source software.

Gary Littlemore

Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:44 am

I'm looking to use a Y-cam YCB003 Black SD Night Vision IP camera. So looking to stream the video via wifi to the Pi connected to my TV. The Y-cam site does say the software runs on linux, I've asked the question on the Y-cam forum if the software will run on Pi but nobody has replied at the moment.

sithlord2

Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:55 am

You should check which codecs your webcam supports. Most webcams can fall back M-JPEG, which should be easy to decode (even on a Pi).

If you need to do mpg2 or mp4 decoding, it might get trickier.

MmmPi

Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:44 am

Looks like iSpy charges for remote access, SMS, email alerts
$8 month - no SMS
$70: 12 Months, 100 SMS credits (~$6 / PC / Month)
I do see some nice advanced features that might make it worth if you need them.
Looks like LAN streaming is free so another program may be able to redirect the stream for internet remote viewing.

You can get motion recording in linux with "motion". Remote access is built in & email, sms shouldn't be hard.
There are a few threads on RasPi security camera setups.

scorp

Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:29 pm

Gary Littlemore wrote:I'm looking to use a Y-cam YCB003 Black SD Night Vision IP camera. So looking to stream the video via wifi to the Pi connected to my TV. The Y-cam site does say the software runs on linux, I've asked the question on the Y-cam forum if the software will run on Pi but nobody has replied at the moment.
Gary, I have installed similar camera mini319W and have running Motion on RPi as CCTV system. The only thing I don't have is TV connected.

Gary Littlemore

Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:44 pm

scorp wrote:
Gary Littlemore wrote:I'm looking to use a Y-cam YCB003 Black SD Night Vision IP camera. So looking to stream the video via wifi to the Pi connected to my TV. The Y-cam site does say the software runs on linux, I've asked the question on the Y-cam forum if the software will run on Pi but nobody has replied at the moment.
Gary, I have installed similar camera mini319W and have running Motion on RPi as CCTV system. The only thing I don't have is TV connected.
Cool, do you have a step by step on how you got it all installed / what you're using etc etc?

scorp

Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:07 pm

I don't have it written anywhere because I used bits and pieces from this forum.
Camera is connected by cable to my router because wifi loads router. I installed Motion. There is a lot of tutorials how to do it. The only difference is that you need to comment line in config file with
;videodevice /dev/video0
and uncomment
netcam_url http://192.168.1.239:81/videostream.cgi
Also adjust some settings to your needs and start Motion.
Camera itself is password protected so I opened port 81 on my router and can see live picture from internet. I know that explanation above is not useful at all but I'm not good in writing guidances so just ask questions and I will answer

Return to “General discussion”