miamia

multicore/thread for mplayer

Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:28 pm

Hello, I am using mplayer with /dev/video0 for watching/grabbing video with my RPi 3.
When I open "top" command, I see that mplayer (in list of processes) is using 96% CPU, but total cpu used is around 25%. I thing this means, that mplayer is maybe using just one core/thread. Is there any way how to tell to program to use all cores/threads. Honestly I would like to tell mplayer to use all cores at the same times and see in list of processes just around 26% CPU. I thind this way it should work smoother (maybe).
Thanks for help.

gkreidl

Re: multicore/thread for mplayer

Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:36 pm

miamia wrote:Hello, I am using mplayer with /dev/video0 for watching/grabbing video with my RPi 3.
When I open "top" command, I see that mplayer (in list of processes) is using 96% CPU, but total cpu used is around 25%. I thing this means, that mplayer is maybe using just one core/thread. Is there any way how to tell to program to use all cores/threads. Honestly I would like to tell mplayer to use all cores at the same times and see in list of processes just around 26% CPU. I thind this way it should work smoother (maybe).
Thanks for help.
A program has to be designed appropriately to use multi-threading and running on multiple cores. You cannot tell a program to do so if it isn't designed for it (and then it will do it by itself).
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

java

Re: multicore/thread for mplayer

Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:50 pm

gkreidl wrote:
miamia wrote:Hello, I am using mplayer with /dev/video0 for watching/grabbing video with my RPi 3.
Thanks for help.
A program has to be designed appropriately to use multi-threading and running on multiple cores. You cannot tell a program to do so if it isn't designed for it (and then it will do it by itself).
or it might not be compiled with multi-core support ...

Return to “General discussion”