morphy_richards

PiNet, Wifi and Raspberry Pi 3 - will it work?

Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:56 pm

Serious question for something I am working on.
I know it's been stated PiNet does not work well with WiFI because of latency but is this the case now with the separate bus used for the RPi 3 WiFi interface, could a Raspberry Pi 3 / PiNet WiFi network work well?
After all, faster data transmission has been observed over WiFi with the Pi3 than with a wired connection.
Last edited by morphy_richards on Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

morphy_richards

Re: PiNet, Wifi and Raspberry Pi 3 - will it work?

Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:12 pm

Andrew Mulholland just answered my question over twitter, no. It's Wireless N so 120 mbit/s max shared over the whole network.

Gbaman

Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:49 pm

morphy_richards wrote:Serious question for something I am working on.
I know it's been stated PiNet does not work well with WiFI because of latency but is this the case now with the separate bus used for the RPi 3 WiFi interface, could a Raspberry Pi 3 / PiNet WiFi network work well?
After all, faster data transmission has been observed over WiFi with the Pi3 than with a wired connection.
Yeah, unfortunately given how wifi itself works, is (max!) 120mbit/s shared between all Pis, it doesn't bode well from the start (Ethernet is usually 1000mbit/s shared between all Pis). Then to make it worse, that is for if you have a perfectly designed room for the wifi and no other devices. As soon as you introduce weird shaped rooms etc, wifi gets slower and less reliable. Means packets have to be re-requested repeatedly.
All you then need is other devices to connect to the wireless network, or have interference from other wireless transmitters or devices and you might as well give up...
Hence why wifi isn't a great method for booting operating systems off unfortunately.
Lead developer of PiNet, a free and opensource centralised user accounts and file storage system for Raspberry Pi classrooms used in over 200 schools across the world.
http://pinet.org.uk

eukreign

Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:11 pm

I'm looking to use raspberry pi in a workshop environment so that participants can document what they are doing. Ideally I would have stations on rollers with a car battery, raspberry pi, a camera and a small display. There would be between 6 and 12 of these mobile stations in the workshop.

It's not safe or practical to have ethernet cables going from these mobile stations (added trip hazard, also heat from welders and oxy/acetylene cutting torches would destroy the ethernet cables laying about). Is there anyway at all to have PiNet support wifi? I imagine there may be some other use cases where having wires for ethernet is not practical. In these situations being able to use wifi, even if it's noticeably slower, would be the difference between something that works slowly to nothing at all. Something that works slowly would be much better in that case.

The mobile documentation stations would be used here: http://opensourceecology.org/about-factor-e-farm/

Return to “General discussion”